The Who 50th Anniversary Tour: 2014-2017 and more! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Actually John Entwistle performed his solo song 'Too Late The Hero' during the '89 tour as well (which pretty much brought the energy of the shows to a grinding halt, lol!).

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul Thread Starter

I didn't know about that, thanks for the info- I just listened on youtube. While viewing on yt, I noticed Roger also had his chance in the spotlight singing a cover of Love Hurts.

3. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

They played over 50+(At least 30 in one gig) Who songs on the 1989 tour. I think it was fine Pete performing a couple of his own.

warewolf95 and reb like this.
  4. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

"Face the Face" was also performed by "The Who" on the 89 tour. Without any new actual Who material, I think it was thoughtful of them to actively go out of way to provide SOMETHING fresh, a notion beaten out of them thoroughly post-ENDLESS WIRE.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Townshend made certain demands to take part in the tour. One is that he would clear $1 million (one suspects that he earned substantially more). Another is that he could put together an expansive stage band. And it is not inconceivable that he would have demanded that some of his solo material be given a place in the set-list.

That may be true, but with such an large and diverse Who catalogue at their disposal, the band easily could have produced a lot of "fresh" material not typically heard at a Who concert. For example, "Trick of The Light" was performed, and clearly a fresh selection. There were many other deep cuts that would have been appropriate and more ideal than Townshend's solo work.

6. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Great show last night in Rosemont! Kind of missed Roger singing these songs but Alfie did a fabulous job. Anyone else go?

7. Brian Doherty

OK I bit the bullet and got a (decently discounted) StubHub ticket for LA Saturday night, but dude's singing is going to have to come across a LOT better in person than it did on the advance video stuff, in which his professional showman tenor approach made me CRINGE. Maybe I can just dig the musical backing.

Dog Ear likes this.
  8. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

How was Eddie Vedder?

9. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

He was ok. Not really a fan so I don't want to judge. He sounded a bit hoarse, but that might be his regular singing voice? I'm not sure.

Billy Idol was pretty cool though!

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain likes this.
  10. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Not entirely related to the thread but themusic.com selling official live cd's from the 2000 - 2007 tours pretty cheap.

ShopTheMusic.com

dee and marc with a c like this.
  11. reb

9/16/2017

Pete Townshend- front man- playing the role of the Helpless Dancer.....;)

RayS likes this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yes, a dancer beyond help. :)

reb likes this.
  13. reb

Current Tour Dates

The Who-----> South America

SEPTEMBER 21 - SAO PAULO, BRAZIL -ALLIANZ PARQUE
    SEPTEMBER 23 - RIO DE JANEIRO -BRAZIL ROCK IN RIO FESTIVAL
    SEPTEMBER 26 -PORTO ALEGRE, BRAZIL -ESTADIO BEIRA RIO
    SEPTEMBER 29 - SANTIAGO, CHILE- ESTADIO MONUMENTAL
    OCTOBER 1 - BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA -ESTADIO UNICO DE LA PLATA

ROGER DALTREY & HIS BAND

OCTOBER 27 -RIVIERA MAYA, -MEXICO HARD ROCK HOTEL
    OCTOBER 30 - CLEARWATER, FL -RUTH ECKERD HALL
    NOVEMBER 1 - HOLLYWOOD, FL -HARD ROCK LIVE
    November 6 & 8- Niagra Falls Ontario- Avalon Ballroom Theatre

14. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

September 29 in Chile, i will be there

reb and dee like this.
  15. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

All the symphonic brilliance of the original Quad is lost. Rachel Fuller is suddenly an orchestrator? A more experienced orchestrator commissioned to work on this project could have been able to pull this off. As it is, these unimaginative arrangements and silly performances make this one pretentious mess.

16. Brian Doherty

I am certainly not experienced enough in orchestral arrangements to say whether it could have been "better" (and there were many moments where, despite not being one, I could predict exactly how she'd handle it, which may be exactly what Dog Ear means) but I'm glad that crummy promo video didn't keep me away from this. It showed another side of this composition I've adored since I was 13, had interesting personal life relevance imagining how this record I loved so long ago has survived and morphed in the culture in such multifarious ways, always great to be in "room" with Pete, and while Alfie was the weak link he wasn't always terrible. (Pete came across, possibly deliberately, like he was nearly a decade older than the strong fierce man I saw play guitar with the Who a month ago.....like a withered old british working man of the type he "portrayed" in Dirty Jobs.....there was less Pete than I expected, I thought he might play guitar throughout but no, just on stage for five or so numbers....)

17. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I think I've seen that dance before.

Hep Alien and RayS like this.
  18. reb

Pete Townshend is taking a year sabbatical | KSHE 95

Pete Townshend will be taking a year off. The Who guitarist posted from Sao Paulo, Brazil where the band will close out the year with a handful of South American dates, and filled fans in with where he's at after a year of touring with both the Who and as part of his Classic Quadrophenia project.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. reb

SEPTEMBER 21 - SAO PAULO, BRAZIL -ALLIANZ PARQUE

[​IMG]

dee and vitorbastos123 like this.
  20. reb

21. Brian Doherty

Encore!!! When's the last time that happened??

22. Brian Doherty

I love Pete to death and beyond but the hypocrisy in his statement about "doing new things" or at least not doing the exact same old things is maddening.

Jimmy B., J_D__ and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

In Mexico October of 2016. I was there. They played Emenience Front and Substitute as encore. It was pretty unexpected, but the crowd demanded!

dee and RayS like this.
  24. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Glasgow, April 7th 2017. They played 5.15.

sonnyrock likes this.
  25. reb

SEPTEMBER 23 - RIO DE JANEIRO -BRAZIL ROCK IN RIO FESTIVAL

pro-shot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.