Anyone else moving back from CDs to vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Some may think vinyl is inferior because it's not as easy as buying a cd (or a digital file,) and pushing the play button. Vinyl takes some effort and good choices (a decent table/preamp/cart)
    Many people don't want to deal with it. They feel better calling it inferior, instead of the real reason they don't like it. Too much effort and "care". Not much of that to spare these days...

SirMarc and EasterEverywhere like this.
  2. Chris Schoen

When you play a record, it is analog. The "source" may be digital, but the record is analog. Some of those digitally sourced records are outstanding.
    Those Abco dsd Stones reissues are the bomb (Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet).

3. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

OK, but a digitally sourced LP isn’t “all analog,”which is what I meant. Yes some of those DSD Stones reissues are great, though as you’d expect I prefer originals.

4. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

Still have all my vinyl from the 80's and then went to CD's. Ripped all my CD's to play on a dedicated digital player at the same time, back into vinyl.
    I have really been seriously thinking of putting together a simple CD, turntable system, but as others have mentioned, the symatry between table, phonostage, and cartridge frustrates me.
    The switching back and forth between formats has me longing for the simple open the drawer and load a CD, no ripping, no fooling with album art, no worrying about backing up my downloaded files, and CD's are cheaper than any medium outside of streaming.

5. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

As I stated in another vinyl thread, according to news, Sony are.

6. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I went back to vinyl being my main source quite a while ago, I still buy CDs though. As others have said, the cost of vinyl can get a bit much sometimes. Also, some CDs are an attractive package, eg. the Steven Wilson Jethro Tull box sets.

Porkpie likes this.
  7. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

I prefer vinyl, I bought vinyl when it was cheap and no one wanted it, now it's too expensive so I'm very selective about what I buy, the mastering, the pressing, who cut it etc.
    Albums I bought for $1 second hand (I still have price tags on some of them just to show people) now fetch $50, it's outrageous.

I'm now buying CDs for the same reasons as I once bought vinyl, no one wants them, they're cheap.

JustGotPaid likes this.
  8. Chris Schoen

Yeah, I like originals too, but I don't discount some of the digitally sourced vinyl if it's been done well.

9. digitalanalog

digitalanalog Member

If that's the driving force, then vinyl LPs are a perfect medium,. because they wear off much quicker than CDs.

10. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Me neither.

11. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

Got back into vinyl a few years ago and loved "re-hearing" my collection. Upgraded my front end vinyl rig, expanding my collection and loving it. I too enjoy getting back to listening to an entire side of an album like I used to.

12. digitalanalog

digitalanalog Member

Like I already mentioned, digital has its own peculiar sound, which, according to some people in the know, is closer to the way analog master tapes sound anyway. There is a definitive and unavoidable discrepancy between how the analog master tape sounds and how the end product -- the vinyl LP sounds. The limitations of the rotating disc and the tiny stylus bumping up and down the rotating groove impose a very characteristic 'vinyl' character to the sound. Some people prefer that type of a sound, some prefer the original analog tape/digital sound (let's not forget that even the original analog tape is, in fact, a digital recording of the continuous sound wave -- it consists of discreet magnetic particles, which is very similar to how digital sound gets stored).

When people are remastering old records, they may use the digital source (say a 24 bit/96 kHz FLAC file), or they may use the original analog master tape (if they get access to it).

Using the original analog master tape to cut a vinyl record is in no way a guarantee that the newly minted record will project the old school 'vinyl' sound. I've heard recently remastered LPs, that were produced using original analog master tapes, that nevertheless sound surprisingly digital. That's because the mastering engineers were deliberately going for the 'digital' sound, in order to deliver firmer, deeper bass and take advantage of the wider dynamic range that the new pressing technology can now deliver.

So the results of the new reissues can be all over the map, and they don't necessarily correspond to the type of the source being used for remastering.

mattright and Eliminator Jr. like this.
  13. Yeah, us CD lovers are a lazy lot. We don't bleed enough for our music enjoyment.

Sajomo, davers, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  14. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

I still have all my vinyl up through around '87 or so (dating from the '70s), when record companies finally started releasing CDs contemporaneously with vinyl. I'm not sure why because I never play them. I don't even play my CDs anymore. With multiple multi-TB external HDDs. it's vastly more convenient to have it all on digital at my fingertips.

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

except for your ears

SirMarc, EasterEverywhere and c-eling like this.
  16. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I think the point I was trying to push across was that I would not go back to vinyl because its an older technology that has been out paced by modernity and computing.

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. The vinyl fetishism is weak in this one.:D

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I can't stand surface noise. I may not notice lesser sound quality or compression but I will always wince at every single click.

Thievius and Spazaru like this.
  19. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I'm actually going the other way with this. I started with cassettes, then CDs, then downloading, then LPs, then back to CDs, and now slowly moving back to downloading due to storage space issues.

20. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

Yes, I do think its a fad. Just like surround sound CD's were a fad 15 years ago. Its all just media companies trying to get people to re-purchase properties they own the rights to. Just my opinion.

crp207 and Spazaru like this.
  21. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I don't necessarily call vinyl inferior, but you're right, I don't want to deal with it, so to me that makes it an inferior choice. That's just for me. I will say that a sound engineer I really respect says the whole "vinyl sound is superior" thing is bunk. That's just his opinion of course.

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Unfortunately it's making it's way to those 45 rpm'ers ...

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here Pizza, that's why I do these...
    For this example I left in a couple on purpose, for those sneaky people that DL em :D

Pizza likes this.
  24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Hey. The year 2004 called. It wants it's ubiquitous thread back! :-popcorn:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I hope Mr. Steve Hoffman doesn't read this. You might get detention, or worse have to write on the blackboard "I was misinformed" 500 times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.