What music did you listen to in your teens?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FlatulentDonkey, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Lots of metal. Lots of thrash alongside classics Maiden and Priest. Death metal started to get big when I was a teenager and I also started getting into bands like Obituary, Deicide, Carcass and Morbid Angel.

eric777 likes this.
  2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Young teens... WFIL
    Old teens... WMMR

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Same as now. Nothing's changed.

ianuaditis and Chris Schoen like this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I just pulled out my Zeppelin II (RL) the other day, same one I played in the early 70's.
    Breaking in my new cart... I listened mostly to what is now considered "Classic Rock".

MONOLOVER and rstamberg like this.
  5. silvina

silvina Forum Resident

2001-2008
    1. A local ska-punk band called La Vela Puerca. I got one of their CDs as a Christmas present from my sister when I was 12
    2. A local hard rock band called La Trampa. It was the first CD I ever chose to buy. I chose it using a voucher given to me by some relatives who live in the US that were on vacation here in Uruguay at that moment.
    3. Some stuff from the Uruguayan 80s New Wave/Post Punk scene that I listened to on the radio (I never bought CDs of any of those bands (because I wasn't into buying CDs back then) , but I used to eagerly wait for certain specific radio shows that played that kind of music.
    4. Pearl Jam - I bought Riot Act in early 2004, having been listening to (and liking) their songs on the radio for a year or so. During the next two years I bought each of their albums, so, yes, I was a big fan. (They were the first band I saw live when I was 16.) I even have a self -made CD of rarities.
    5. No Doubt - They were more fun and lighter (anad catchier) than PJ. The first "pop" band I liked. I bought most of their albums
    6. Nirvana /Green Day / Red Hot Chilli Peppers - I bought CDs by these bands at around the same time (Nevermind/Greatest Hits/American Idiot) and borrowed some from my cousin (In Utero/ Dookie/ Blood Sugar Sex Magik), who bought all these albums when she lived in the US in the early 90s (now I don't understand why Nirvana appelead to me then)
    7. In March 2008 I made a compilation of songs I liked by 90s grunge/alt. rock bands.
    ---Then in May 2008 I discovered 80s music and everything changed

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

1960's/early 70's
    AM Top 40
    FM commercial free...

MONOLOVER likes this.
  7. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Early teens:
    The Beatles
    Elton John
    The Who
    Neil Young
    (Tried to get into Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Alice Cooper. All my neighbors and friends were into them.
    I just couldn't)

Mid to late teens:
    Roxy Music
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Bob Dylan
    The Clash
    Talking Heads
    Blondie
    Devo
    Kraftwerk
    The B- 52s
    Patti Smith
    A lot of others.
    The Beatles and Neil Young.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  8. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I turned 13 in April of '75 so my teenage years started with Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, and whatever was on the local FM rock station in SoCal. That expanded to other groups like AC/DC, Budgie, Nutz, Angel, Moxy and so on. I didn't get into punk right away but I began to get into stuff like the Ramones Rocket to Russia and the Pretenders' debut LP.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

In my teens 1975 (age 13) to 1981 (age 19):
    Arena poodle rock grew tiresome somewhat quickly,
    I got into jazz and prog out of the tedium of hearing some guy in tight pants crooning for action at a non-stop basis.

Then popular bands I was into:
    King Crimson
    Frank Zappa
    Yes
    Devo
    Moody Blues
    America
    Chicago
    Elvis Costello
    Roxy Music
    Marshall Tucker Band
    The Clash
    Gentle Giant
    Steve Miller Band
    BTO
    The Specials
    The Atlanta Rhythm Section
    Al Stewart
    Tangerine Dream
    Can

As for jazz, after I bought my first copies of Time Out, Kind Of Blue, Giant Steps, Now's The Time, 2,3,4 , and Something Else there was no going back.

tvstrategies and MONOLOVER like this.
  10. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Name a band that came out of the Sunset Strip in the wake of Van Halen and I probably had at least their debut album.

Then I discovered Metallica and thrash metal and that was the end of glam and hair metal.

Somehow, Rush was always in there.

11. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Punk/pop, alternative rock, hard rock, good vocalists. Everything from Roxette to Iron Maiden and everything in-between, including my favorite band to this day, R.E.M.

12. Cardboard Cowboy

Cardboard Cowboy Forum Resident

I listened to classic rock all the way. Same as now.

13. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

1965-71

1965-66:
    The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Animals, Manfred Mann, The Pretty Things, Them, The Who, The Yardbirds, The Kinks, The Byrds, The Lovin' Spoonful, The (Young) Rascals, P. J. Proby, The Mothers of Invention....

1967-69:
    Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Van Morrison, The Who, Leonard Cohen, Ten Years After, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Mothers of Invention, vintage blues, fusion....

14. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I'm in my teens right now, this is what I listen to:

The Beatles
    The Alan Parson Project
    The Moody Blues
    The Beach Boys
    Pink Floyd
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Simon & Garfunkel
    The Hollies
    Abba
    Badfinger
    Beatles solo careers
    Billy Joel
    Chicago
    Paul Simon
    Crosby Still and Nash
    The Mamas & Papas

That looks like I listen to quite a few bands, but honestly I feel like I haven't listened to anything. There is still a lot of music for me to hear, and I am incredibly excited.

15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

The Beatles
    Dylan
    Stones
    King Crimson
    Who
    Bowie
    Led Zeppelin
    Santana
    Grateful Dead
    Cream
    Motown
    Doors
    Roxy Music
    Pink Floyd

and the beat goes on...

16. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

The Only Band That Matters - The Clash

danielbravo likes this.
  17. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Glam Rock, Rock and Metal.

18. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Motley crue
    Body count
    Guns n roses
    Pearl jam
    Alice in chains
    Stone temple pilots
    Soundgarden
    Nirvana
    Blink 182
    Grinspoon
    Public enemy
    NWA
    Cypress hill

19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

GnR
    Poison
    Crue
    Journey
    Foreigner
    George Strait
    Alabama
    Petra
    Deliverance
    Whitecross

20. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I'm 41, and very little has changed regarding my music tastes. I was more adventurous in regards to discovering new music as a teenager, but that's about it. I was 14 in 1990, and by that time I was already very much into Heavy Metal and Hard Rock. Many of the bands I loved as a teenager I still love just as much today (maybe more) as I did back then.

I guess to be honest, the biggest change in my musical tastes now is that I really have very little desire to discover new music. I am extremely satisfied with the music I listen to and I feel no desire to discover a new band or artist. If I do discover something new, it's usually something in pop (particularly Japanese).

21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

In my teens, I was more than likely to listen to the TV. MTV just came out, so we were kind of fascinated by music videos. But if it was just music, Zeppelin, Rainbow, Maiden, Sabbath, Ozzy, Floyd, Van Halen, Rush, Def Leppard, Bob Seger, Eagles, and just about anything that is now considered Classic Rock.

22. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Early teens- Beach Boys, Paul Revere, We Five, Dave Clark Five, Chad and Jeremy, Herman's Hermits, etc.

And then one night, on my 14th birthday, August 5, 1965, late at night with the ear peace to my new transistor radio in one ear, this strange song came on that went on and on and on. It completely altered the way I heard music forever: Bob Dylan, "Like a Rolling Stone".

23. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Hard rock.
    Slade
    Queen
    Thin Lizzy
    UFO
    Early Aerosmith
    Deep Purple

Also Bowie, Camel, Floyd.

The singles of Gary Glitter, Wizzard, Alice Cooper, T.Rex, Mott the Hoople.

Still listen to all of them.

24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Pretty much the same as I do know - I don't know what that says about me, lol :D

25. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Pretty much the same stuff I listen to now - with the obvious exception of music that wasn't released yet or that was still out there for me to discover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.