To the fans of the 70s run of "Columbo": ever noticed a deep change as of Season 6?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ParloFax, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Death Lends a Hand is a interesting episode. It's one of the very few (only?) episode where the initial murder is basically accidental and not well planned. When Culp's character tries to buy-off Columbo with a plumb job his desperation is palpable. Culp was excellent in this role.

HominyRhodes and ParloFax like this.
  2. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of Columbo (along with The Rockford Files and Perry Mason) and own all episodes on DVD so we watch them at random fairly frequently. I never bothered watching anything after the original series ended (same for Perry Mason) so I can't really comment on the "Mrs" series although, based on what I've read in this thread, I'm not missing a lot.

I also noticed a changed in tone and direction heading into season 6. I could never figure out why so reading this thread has been both enlightening and interesting. I always thought at after the end of season 5 they were "calling it in" with the scripts and that perhaps it had become more about the money than ever before :hide:. That said, I do love the show and continue to watch it on a regular basis .... with a focus on seasons 1-5 ;)

HominyRhodes and ParloFax like this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I didn't used to like Culp but I sure have turned around and really have learned to enjoy his performances now. He makes everything very believable. And yes, when Columbo tries to buy him off, and then bait him later to go and find that lens, pretty funny stuff. Columbo was on to him immediately and it's a lot of fun being there for the ride.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, it's interesting to read this thread like it's interesting to read about albums we like, and then we go and pull it out again and give it a fresh listen. I have done that with a few Columbo episodes too. I agree about the Mrs. series. Not good. But I encourge you to give the newer episodes a chance. There are some that are as good as the best older eps. Try the William Shatner titles Butterfly In Shades Of Grey. Or Rip Torn in Death Hits the Jackpot. There were some stinkers, but I feel half the old ones are good and the same with the newer.

GroovyGuy likes this.
  5. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Mrs. Columbo only lasted five episodes by that name. It was changed to Kate Loves a Mystery and all reference to the former are dropped. Should have been the first instinct because it's not a bad show on those terms. Still lasted less than half a season under the new direction.

Jrr likes this.
  6. Chris Deckard

Chris Deckard New Member

I am a huge fan of the show but my one complaint would be that in season 7, especially in the episode "How To Dial A Murder", Falk says "sir" way too many times. It's almost as if he was trying to overuse the word and it gets really annoying. He does it again in The Conspirators. Not sure why he started doing this but I find it gets in the way of the dialogue and just sounds unnatural.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.