Finally a Porky Pig B&W Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by [email protected], Aug 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Looks and sounds great! And factory pressed.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Is the Mad Bomber on there?

3. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

and at $36.47! You Lucky Dog!

4. Heavy Music

If you are referring to "The Blow Out", then yes it is, on Disc One.

5. Jerry

No, mine was $52.71 shipped with a $5 off coupon for signing up. I'm guessing the lower price is for the DVD-R disc sets.

6. Steve Hoffman

Really? Last time I saw it I was five. It gave me nightmares for years. Can't remember why.

7. Jerry

Bob Clampett did some of the animation on this one, uncredited.

8. Jerry

I'm watching it right now. Hopefully I'll sleep good tonight!

9. Heavy Music

Now if "Pigs is Pigs" were watched, that could produce a Porky nightmare also! But, I don't think this one is in the Porky Pig 101 set.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  10. Steve Hoffman

Let me know if there is anything scary in it. It's been a very long time.

11. Jerry

The scariest thing is the Mad Bomber's voice. Creepy!!

12. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I doubt it, as I got my pressed discs for $35.99 plus tax & shipping when I ordered thru WB Shop on a Labor Day sale. AFAIK, as long as they still have original stock, which I think may be additionally distinguished by clear cases rather than black plastic ones, you should receive pressed discs if you buy from there.

That said, there are a few already documented flaws, mainly some incorrect opening and closing themes, plus Porky and Gabby is apparently spliced:
    Sign the Petition: Please Do A Disc Replacement on the Porky Pig 101

Personally, I might never have known these details, and despite them, I reiterate that this is overall a superb set. Not sure how much demand there actually is for Porky Pig, or indeed how much awareness there is of this classic cartoon character amongst the general public (my seven year old stepbrother doesn't even know who Bugs Bunny is...ah, kids today!), but hopefully Porky Pig 101 will prove to be a hit, and lead to similar Warner Archive releases.

GKomar and Jerry like this.
  13. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Well... Porky was scared.

YMMV.

The Case of the Stuttering Pig

[​IMG]

beccabear67 likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  15. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

"The Blow Out" was released years ago on laserdisc compilation "Guffaw and Order".

I'm sure it will look better on the new DVD set. Can't wait to get my copy in the mail.

16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I remember seeing all kinds of scary early Porky Pigs on tv, one by one the pigs start disappearing... then your Mom calls you to dins and it's pork chops!!! :yikes:

Maybe I was the only one but I found the earliest daffy Duck scary like real crazy people are... I wonder if it's a good think I never met Bob Clampett? John Kricfalusi has some lovely stories about meeting him though, but maybe he was immune to the crazy being a crazy cartoonist himself? I know people who find Ren & Stimpy genuinely disturbing, but lucky for me I wasn't a kid when they began appearing. Not sure I would ban kids from watching, a bit of fear is healthy. :D

17. Steve Hoffman

I think all black and white cartoons vanished from TV by the late 1960s along with Laurel and Hardy, The Little Rascals and everything else that wasn't in color. That sucked.

beccabear67 and EdgardV like this.
  18. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The Little Rascals/Our Gang were still televised on UHF until at least the early 1980s.

And I remember watching B&W Fleischer Popeye cartoons during the same timeframe.

The B&W Looney Tunes did get replaced with awful recolored versions from Asia in the late 60s. So, I'm looking forward to seeing how much better the originals are.

chilinvilin likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't like the early Porkys anymore than I like the early Donald Duck or Mickey's progenitor.

20. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

IIRC, that cartoon has pigs in it, but not Porky Pig. Unless I am remembering incorrectly.

I have yet to get this, better get on it so I get pressed DVDs. I have read reports that they have made some serious audio screw-ups with some of the theme music. (When I first read that, it sounded like they had theme music from the wrong year on certain ones or something, which is too bad, but not "protest-worthy." But apparently there is a little more to it than that, see below.) That is unfortunate. But who ever thought Warner would release a complete set of B&W Porky Pig cartoons?

Heavy Music likes this.
  21. Heavy Music

You are probably right, I thought it was an earlier rendition of.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I found out about the existence of this set yesterday. I must get it soon!

23. bem

bem Forum Resident

Me too

24. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Just finding out about it now. Shame about no blu ray though. Surely they weren’t transferring these in less than 1080p. Even if they weren’t doing a single thing to touch up the scans… there should’ve at least been an option to have Blu Ray, especially if they’re just burning them on demand! People would pay. Oh well.

25. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the factory pressed version anymore? The WBShop lists this as MOD (made to order DVD) now. Does "made to order" or "manufactured on demand" mean DVD-R not factory pressed? I see some sets on ebay listed as manufactured on demand. I assume this means DVD-R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.