Rogue Pharoah Integrated no longer pleasing.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

possibly system synergy. with my harbeths the CMII puts you a few rows back.

JNTEX likes this.
  2. Helom

Helom Forum member Thread Starter

After I noticed the hum, I Googled the issue and there's quite a few others who experienced the same. I tried multiple cord/ outlet arrangements to no avail. It's definitely not my power grid, so maybe it was just a lemon example.

One of the stock power tubes was a bit noisy but I agree they sounded nice for modern units.

JNTEX likes this.
  3. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Most tube transformer hum is power related and has nothing to do with the amp itself. Chances are another tube amp may hum plugged into the same outlet, but it may not.

My Rogue 88 had some transformer hum in my house, but none at Rogue factory. I tried DC Blockers, etc...

My Audio Research integrated still has a bit but it's less than the Rogue. But the transformers are smaller than the Rogue and since it's mechanical hum, that makes sense.

4. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

A buddy of mine in Texas purchased a CM a few years ago...probably like 5 years ago....new in the box. He got rid of it 6 months later. Said it had noise (hum) he couldn't get rid of. On the other hand AbeCollins over at audioasylum said its one of the best bargains he has ever had and just flatout loves his after finding the correct tubes. Now if anyone here knows AbeCollins, you know the guy has had some Uber gear and knows what sound is. From what I've read over the years, some of those amps when working correctly are outstanding. But some have developed some hum issues, that's a fact.

5. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I think I am on a pretty good power supply at my house.

My amp was purchased used. It was originally shipped around Dec '16. It's tubes are the ones that it shipped with. It is dead quiet for me...I generally don't cycle it much, when I am home, it's on and going usually unless I am asleep. I don't run a pre-amp on the phono stage...it's a pretty simple setup with a simaudio 260d and my turntable. Nothing else electrical around it or pulling on that circuit...my TT is grounded to the amp. I do have an excellent ground in the house.

I am only about a month into it's use. I re-biased the tubes when I put took it home and checked them about a month later....were the same. I have tried to get some noise out of it at volume levels. Maybe I am deaf...lol, or got a non-lemon unit.

6. Helom

I've experienced hum with about half the amps I've tried in my home. I used to think it had to do with floated vs non-floated ground designs, but my Cayin doesn't float the ground and it's silent.

JNTEX likes this.
  7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Hum is related to the original CM and not the CM II.
    A year and 3/4 later mine continues to be hum free and spectacular sounding.

JNTEX and HiFi Guy like this.
  8. Slippers-on

Yeah...you are correct. Just went back and dug up his post related to another forum and the date was January 25, 2012. He mentioned the noise and distortion.

avanti1960 likes this.
  9. guyfromscene24

guyfromscene24 Forum Resident

I have an Atlas Magnum that had transformer hum (barely audio 15 ft away) and it
    completely went away after I switched out the rectifier. Nick at Rogue Audio even
    suggested as much... A wonderful $25 investment!

10. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

No hum or noise on the original CM when I owned one.

11. Helom

The Yamaha has been breaking in quite well over the last week. I no longer detect any grain.

I used to think of Yamahas as neutral, but after my time with the HINT and Sony, I consider these amps quite colored. However, this is the sweet type of coloring I associate with tube amps, it doesn't detract from enjoyment. Pairing this amp with the LM 502CA DAC makes it surprisingly lush, but in a good way.

When I paired the same DAC with the Sony, it still sounded like Solid State.

Balthazar likes this.
  12. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Mine has no hum.

13. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Glad the Yammie is starting to grow on you. Non believers in break in need to spend a couple months with one of these A-S series Yamaha amps.

weavzy, HiFi Guy and Helom like this.
  14. triple

triple Senior Member

Ah, Accuphase. Good old American hifi manufacturer. ;)

15. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Whatever that means.

16. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Think he was messing with you because Accuphase is Japanese.

triple likes this.
  17. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

I got that; sometimes typical audiophile dry/cynical humour. Thanks.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So what is driving your Spendors now?

19. Helom

Yamaha A-S1100

20. coopmv

No more Parasound Halo integrated?

21. Helom

I still own it at the moment.

22. coopmv

I am still considering the following Cary amp ...

[​IMG]

Ntotrar and avanti1960 like this.
  23. Slippers-on

Thanks for saying that about the Yammie. I have a Yamaha Home theater amp in my family room. Its one of those Yamaha Aventage series Home theater amps, the best Home theater amps they make. I recently purchased an entry level cartridge, the MOFi Studio Tracker for the old budget TT I have in that room, a Music Hall MMF-2.1. Listening to the TT in "Pure Direct" 2 Channel mode, one would say it sounds as if tubes are in they system. No hint of SS at all. Your remarks above confirmed what I was thinking about the sound I'm hearing.

24. Slippers-on

I have an A series Yamaha Home Theater Amp...The Aventage Series...and in 2 Channel mode with a TT it has that lush tube sound as well. Surely not on the same hi-fidelity as your dedicated amp, but still has that sound...and I'm surprised at what I'm hearing.

25. Slippers-on

Would be happy for your thoughts on the Yammie versus the Halo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.