The Loudness War - developments

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by amoergosum, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I would argue something different. Producers in the early '90s liked the result. Producers today are scared ****less of change.

john morris, Grant and tin ears like this.
  2. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Little misconception here regarding the use of compression in the sixties. They didn't use it because they liked the sound of squashed dynamics but to get the signal above that darn noise floor. Back in the mid sixties, thousands of years ago (feels that way) engineers were fighting against: tape noise, mixing board noise, noise from eq units, etc, etc, etc. The compressor was used for that reason only (90 percent of the time) to get the vocal, bass, flute, or whatever above the noise floor. They didn't even have noise gates back in those days. Back in the day the biggest problem was fighting against the equipment. When Eddie Kramer was asked once on an interview, "What did you do about the noise?"
    To which he replied, "Nothing!....You loaded the tape with a $@*! FULL OF LEVEL and hoped for the best."
    The biggest problem audio engineers have today is what sampling rate to use.

3. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Hence I purchased Bowies last (LP) and made the recording myself (LP ripping, editing and all that) :)

john morris likes this.
  4. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Good.
    It's crazy (but necessary) that audiophiles like ourselves have to good to such lengths just to get good sound.

Vorlon likes this.
  5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

...another disappointment...new jazz album by Kamasi Washington:

Kamasi Washington - Harmony Of Difference
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR7 -0.19 dB -9.59 dB 01 - Desire.mp3
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.41 dB 02 - Humility.mp3
    DR6 -0.17 dB -8.33 dB 03 - Knowledge.mp3
    DR6 -0.07 dB -8.06 dB 04 - Perspective.mp3

DR7 -0.17 dB -8.59 dB 05 - Integrity.mp3
    DR6 -0.08 dB -9.21 dB 06 - Truth.mp3

Number of files: 6
    Official DR value: DR7

6. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Bad news... when music by an artist like this succumbs then it shows how widespread the problem is.

john morris, JediJoker and amoergosum like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

What I don't get is...... Steve Earle's new album is a nightmare on CD. When you listen to it you don't have to know about the Loudness Wars, Compression, or whatnot - it just sounds bloody awful.

So.... I'm left assuming no-one in the final mastering actually LISTENED to it. I can't get my head around anyone listening and letting it pass muster. In my mind I assume it went through some completely automated system - a script of some kind, perhaps.

Probably silly on my part. :D

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's disappointing. "The Epic" didn't have what I consider good sound, but yet had better DR than "Harmony Of Difference". "Harmony Of Difference" has moved way down on my list of albums to get. Kamasi Washington rips it up in "The Epic". His playing is just amazing. But the sound makes it not so fun to listen to. Why record an artist with such ability and then ruin the sound with poor production and sound?

9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

A positive example: Return To Ommadawn by Mike Oldfield. No brick wall peak limiting. The best sounding new title on CD I've heard in 20 years.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

11. Munros1969

Agreed... this has moved from a “must have on release” to “maybe later”. A shame as I’m sure the musicianship is first-rate.

12. Munros1969

Surely someone listened to it... but it does make you wonder. Nothing would surprise me.

13. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I'll probably buy this if only to celebrate!!

14. InStepWithTheStars

When you walk into a crowded place where lots of people are talking at once, find the guy talking/yelling the loudest and say "That one is my favorite".

This is how I've been describing the loudness war to people recently.

JediJoker and Grant like this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I think of it as keeping up with the Joneses. Everyone else is going with this heavily compressed sound and no one wants their music to sound thin and wimpy by comparison. It isn't so much an artistic choice as a business necessity.

drasil and Grant like this.
  16. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I think the compression and loudness makes it sounds thin wimpy... not the other way around.

Dave and JediJoker like this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

That's my point. The last hyper-compressed product sold, therefore products will only sell if they are hyper-compressed. It's a straw man argument. Nobody takes risks anymore, hence my "scared of change" comment.

Which is of course bogus - the Daft Punk album from 2013 that won roughly 8 quintillion grammies had virtually all of its dynamic range intact and nobody complained about that. And that was hardly a risk - they knew it would sell regardless, and it did. It didn't lead to anything more... but it worked.

ukrules and JediJoker like this.
  18. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

I feel in sonic sense it comes off garish. It's the best word for me to sum it up.;) But, we all use the words we use and bottom line are in agreement:D

19. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

It's also his best album since The Songs of Distant Earth, you won't regret it!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would it be a risk to offer two digital versions (industry standard and HDR version) at least ?

I'd like to see:

- industry standard MP3 version...so the labels/bands can remain calm...;)
    - high dynamic range FLAC version
    - CD (high dynamic range)
    - Vinyl (high dynamic range)

JediJoker and Munros1969 like this.
  21. Munros1969

It could be worse. Check out this bad boy... DR0 all the way :shake:

Maybe this is the future?

foobar2000 1.3.15 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-09-25 19:41:31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Ninja McTits / 00's ANISON GAIJIKORE HIT PARADE 3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR0 0.00 dB 0.00 dB 3:48 ?-100%?ナイナイナイ
    DR0 0.00 dB -0.01 dB 4:06 ?-Cagayake! Girls
    DR0 0.00 dB -0.07 dB 4:33 ?-First Good-Bye
    DR0 0.00 dB 0.00 dB 3:57 ?-MAKE A MIRACLE!
    DR0 0.00 dB -0.15 dB 1:32 ?-あ•い•つ
    DR0 0.00 dB -0.09 dB 1:31 ?-ヴィーナスと小さな神様
    DR0 0.00 dB 0.00 dB 3:12 ?-カレーのちライス
    DR0 0.00 dB 0.00 dB 3:27 ?-せんせい…初めてですか?
    DR0 0.00 dB 0.00 dB 3:45 ?-ハナマル☆センセイション
    DR0 0.00 dB 0.00 dB 1:30 ?-鏡の中

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR0

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bitrate: 320 kbps
    Codec: MP3
    =============================================================================

22. InStepWithTheStars

That's more than one mastering. That costs money. The industry is a thousand times less willing to part with money than it is to take risks.

mikaal likes this.
  23. And it is exactly that so pees me off!! How dare they take our money by producing this sub standard crap: really winds me up

24. InStepWithTheStars

Bahahahahaha!!! I actually know that guy (friend of a friend). This is not the future. He is as deliberately over-the-top as it goes (just look at his name!). That's just the music he makes. Unless the pop charts are ready for distorted anime samples and horrific blasting noise, you ain't gotta worry. The purpose of that genre is to be as unlistenable as possible.
    :biglaugh:

JediJoker likes this.
  25. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I don't get this. Ludwig, Sax and all the well-known engineers are all concerned about this. Why don't they just supply the dynamic master for free? I mean it's extra work, sure but seems logical if they ACTUALLY DO CARE.

Then it's up to the record company to do something useful with it. Who knows? Maybe they would consider releasing both compressed and uncompressed if there were no extra cost involved.

JediJoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.