Streaming Has Made My Life Much Less Stressful

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiomixer, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Actually, I don't have Spotify but would love to see that list :agree:

Synthfreek and nightstand68 like this.
  2. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

I love metal but I'll take that list too.

3. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Wes was a metal guitarist before there was metal!
    Imagine him playing through a distortion pedal and a Marshall Amp? It would certainly be interesting!

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It would be interesting and it might be possible to run some of his recordings through a rigged stack.

Tony Cruse likes this.
  5. Collecting is just too stressful sometimes.
    I was looking for a thread about that.
    The money, the....the energy put forth, the......
    it's just MUSIC!
    I couldn't find a thread I was looking for about this, this was the closest thing....

timind likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

With a good pair of ears and any decent equipment, anybody should easily be able to tell the difference between streaming and analogue...:)

7. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I feel like if I ever just had the courage to break my addiction to physical media, I might be happier, but it's like quitting heroin. (I imagine.)

timind likes this.
  8. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

You clearly prefer streaming - awesome!

Billy Infinity and Robert C like this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Please...:sigh:

10. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I find steaming is okay for newer releases and respectable remasters. Great for auditions and songs to hear on a whim.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Streaming has helped me discover a lot of new rock bands and classical composers I didn't even know existed a year ago.
    There are also quite a few historical classical recordings on Spotify.

Eigenvector, Colin M and Balthazar like this.
  12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I still listen to CDs and vinyl. I listen the same way regardless. Streaming doesn't automatically become background music.

Gaslight and Balthazar like this.
  13. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Streaming with both Tidal (for SQ) and Apple Music ( for convenience) has gotten so good, I am really questioning my commitment to my space hogging collection of media. Add that I just went through a complete rebuild of my online file system and I am wondering how much longer it will be worth it. I don’t know that I have spun a single LP since I bought the Gumby.

Doug Walton likes this.
  14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Casual listening and in the car (iTunes and XM/serius) at home main system LP and CD.

15. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I have been enjoying lots of YouTube music videos....like those from 2Cellos, The Piano Guys, Lorde, some electronica from Disclosure, etc. All free and sound really decent on my 4.1 main setup.

16. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Thank you.

17. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

CDs & LPs will continue to make my life richer!

broshfab4 likes this.
  18. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

No rentals! I like to own something and have it in my hands, the best way to enjoy music to me.

riddlemay likes this.
  19. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have apple music, tidal and qobuz sublime +. Apple music is tops for streaming on portable devices. The Hi Rez streaming on Qobuz is superb. I still buy special editions, box sets, audiophile versions. Plus hi rez downloads. Problem is, with streaming, i dont rip them right away and have a backlog of cds to rip

20. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Well... You do realize that this is the only and and entire point of libraries. You get to borrow media and return it. It started with books, then vinyl and now CD's and DVD's... I mean, no one every considered that borrowing a book was stealing it.

I suppose the fact that it's easily copied would make you say that, but honestly, if the creators of the media were as concerned about piracy as they pretened to be, they would have instituted copy protection from day one of CD's introduction.

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You really can't copy a book, like you can a CD! :D

Spin Doctor likes this.
  22. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

@DaleClark , what makes Apple better on portable devices? Is it a CarPlay thing or something else? Also, care to share what differences you notice between Tidal and Qobuz?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's rare to come across someone using all those services. I'd appreciate hearing your insights.

I've only kept Tidal after doing the Apple Music trial. I don't listen on my phone enough to justify keeping an extra service, although I've been tempted to do the family plan with my wife, who is a dedicated Spotify user. Still need to explore Qobuz vis VPN.

23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have itunes match, so my personal 50,000 song rips can play thru apple music from anywhere. I have Roon, however, you must be on a wifi netwok that includes the core player.

I love tidal, however, qobuz has a much higher amount of 24/96 and higher content. Basically, if you see it on hdtracks, it will more than likely be on Qobuz. Plus, many hi rez versions, like Pink floyd the division bell, are not available in us. Overseas Tidal does have it.

Many overseas artists i have discovered on Qobuz, especially jazz and classical.

Between Tidal and Qobuz, if i had to pick one, id lean toward Qobuz.

24. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I really appreciate it. I never used iTunes and rarely use my own library anymore, so the match feature doesn't affect me. The other benefit of Apple Music, I would guess, is probably better battery life on iPhone. Most Apple apps seem to be better in that regard than 3rd party options.

Roon is the only reason I've held onto Tidal. As far as I know they're the only streaming service to partner with Roon, and I love Roon's UI. It sounds like I may need to go with Quboz despite the Roon issue if they have a better jazz and classical catalog, as that's most of my listening these days. It's disappointing that they refuse to integrate, since there are so many people calling out for it, but that's their business. May as well enjoy their service while they're still here, because who knows who will be here in 5 years. Given their marketing outreach, I'd be more willing to bet on Tidal than Qubuz.

25. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

About eight years ago, I ripped almost 1,000 albums to FLAC, streaming them into my system, via Squeezebox. It made a huge difference to my listening patterns - just being able to sit down and play my favourite Jackson Browne, Van Morrison or Shelby Lynne or whoever, in an instant, made life much easier.

I signed up for TIDAl Hi-Fi almost a year ago and so far, I'm very, very impressed with what it has to offer. I don't know if people realize that there are often several masterings of the same albums on TIDAL - including some forum faves. (I'd like to see someone compile a list, actually.) Even better (and to my surprise) Squeezebox supports TIDAL, so I generally switch between my own saved albums and whatever I want to listen to via TIDAL.

I couldn't recommend this policy highly enough. (I still have quite a collection of CD boxsets, DVD-Audio, SACD and vinyl stored in the living room but it's more manageable.)

Doug Walton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.