The Who "Tommy" - Gilbert Kong

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockDude4492, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

So this begs the question - what, exactly is the 'original master'? Did they make two versions, i.e. the version used for the MFSL Ultradisc II being one, with the lower octave vocal on 'Eyesight' on longer glass break on 'Smash The Mirror'? My original UK Track (both of them) I would have assumed were made from either a master or 2nd generation tape, and that features the 'higher octave' Eyesight vocal and shorter glass break....

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My understanding is copies with the alternate Eyesight started showing up a few years after the fact; maybe 1973. If memory serves, the MFSL came from Pete's tapes. Where/why that originated is unclear. I would *guess* Pete's tapes were copies made before some final changes were made (the longer glass breaking sequence matches the demo; presumably at some point it was felt it was too long and was edited down), but that doesn't explain how they ended up on LP.

dee likes this.
  3. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I don't own an LP with the longer glass break, that's only on my MFSL CD, but yes that makes sense, the alternate 'eyesight' is on my (assuming later) set of Tommy Parts 1 and 2 with later matrix nos - the first set I have uses the same matrix nos as the original track double - 613013 A//1 & B//3 (sides 1 and 4) and 613014 A//1 and B//2 (sides 2& 3).

4. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got this in the mail, it does indeed sound fantastic. What stuck me most was how clear the acoustic guitars sound. It's almost as if Pete is on acoustic in the room with you, which is something I had never noticed on my original non-GK Decca or any CD I've ever heard of it. Definitely worth the wait.

dee, marblesmike and Zack like this.
  5. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Just ran across another of these but like the only other one I've ever seen it was completely trashed.
    For some reason my favorite Tommy to date is the regular US Decca with as low numbers as possible. Guess I need to bite the bullet and finally get more to compare.
    Those who have multiple copies: is this GK really worth picking up in the bins? I remember someone saying his SELL OUT was fantastic.

dee likes this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Nice. How can one tell a Gil Kong copy?

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL! I was extremely pissed they put that weak version of ETTB on the MFSL CD...it pales against the first 2 CD pressing...the drums are thunderous on the US 2 CD set...tame on the MFSL CD...

8. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

There should be a G.K or G. Kong inscription in the dead wax.

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks. Do you know if the label for the G. Kong is the Decca rainbow or the MCA rainbow?

10. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Mine is a Decca rainbow.

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

According to Discogs, the Decca G.K. is a first pressing. Maybe a later pressing with G.K. as well? I don't know.

dee likes this.
  12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I just found one of these this morning, G.K. on all 4 sides! I've been looking for awhile and there it was in nice clean condition...

It has rainbow DECCA matte labels with silver printing. There is a lot of stuff scrathed out in the deadwax. Sides one and two are dated 5.3.71 and sides 3 and 4 are dated 5.4.71.

I like this much better than the boring mid 70s MCA pressing I've had for a long time. I compared Eyesight to the Blind from both and the drums were much more realistic and thunderous on the G.K. This thing jumps out of the speakers and has nice deep bass all around. I really like this pressing.

I also grabbed the two MCA two-fers from '73 with Magic Bus and My Generation on one double LP and A Quick One and Sell Out on the other. The vinyl on all 4 looked so clean I couldn't say no. It was a good day at the flea market.

13. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Try Kevin's recent cut from 2014. Best I've heard. Beats an original uk track.

14. captainsolo

I found a decent GK with stampers like the ones above. It sounds very much like my early Decca but I haven't had time to do a very detailed comparison.

Is there a general consensus on US vs UK originals? It seems everyone says one or the other.

15. captainsolo

I have a clean Decca that sounds nice.
    However the GK is noisy and crackly...but far more in your face. I sampled some of side 1 last night only to find that the GK almost seems boosted overall in comparison to what seems like the extremely polite Decca original.
    I just wish I had a cleaner copy-this is an extremely interesting comparison.

ODShowtime likes this.
  16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I went through a pile of half a dozen DXSW 7205s this weekend. One was a GK but it was beat up so I didn't grab it. I did take the cleanest copy with a stamped matrix code for comparisons. I guess that tells you that the GKs are pretty rare.

I also went through the same size pile of Who's Nexts and found a W-1 and a W-2x. Good times. $3 each for all.

captainsolo likes this.
  17. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Years ago I purchased the Simply Vinyl version which someone here recommended. Quite nice.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's the 1996 remix.

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Slightly off topic, but the 1996 remix is my go to CD. Something about it works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.