Natalie Merchant's 10-Disc Solo Collection and Current Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Revealer, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I notice in another thread that "Jupiter" absolutely loves Bob Dylan's 1974 (Before the Flood) album where Dylan professionally re-recorded much of his early work (regardless of whether an audience was present, it is a re-recording, planned to show off Bob's new spin on his old songs).

One could remark about posters who re-write their earlier posts, but I always think it is fair enough to revise anything.

The Revealer likes this.
  2. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I guess you don’t like Paul McCartney

The Revealer likes this.
  3. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

McCartney re recorded great Beatles music for his Broad Street movie. All were inferior to the originals. Same with Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions. Sinatra, Nat King Cole and others have all recorded newer versions which might have had sonic improvements but didn't have the spark of the originals. There may be examples where re recording has produced better or at least equal but different versions but I can't think of them.
    Still, I'll try and find some samples of the new Tigerlilly and see if they offer something. I have been a big fan of Natalie.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Totally untrue about Sinatra. He re-recorded material on Capitol that he had earlier recorded on Columbia, and the Capitol versions were career masterpieces.

Following on your point, why should artists even consider performing in concert? According to you, all such performances are inferior.

5. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely Thread Starter

To be fair, live performances and re-recorded studio performances are totally different enterprises. People react to live music and seeing their favorite artist and it is generally the energy and spirit of performance under review. Recording live performances might fall into a similar category as re-recording previous studio material.

I just find the sentiment to be unnecessarily restrictive. If the posters don't like re-recorded material, so be it. No one has responded to the 'Revolution' example I cited, however. Surely, no one faults John for re-recording this song as an alternative masterpiece in its own right?

However, before going off on a tangent, I think the conversation belongs in its own thread unless we're going to stick to Natalie's material. It's not of interest to me, but seems to have the potential for lively discussion. Anyone care to start it? I'd follow it for sure!

docwebb likes this.
  6. Then you are denying yourself the pleasures of many wonderful, insightful, thoughtful, provocative and downright hugely enjoyable interpretations of their own music by significant numbers of both major and lesser artists. Such a shame.

Best Wishes,
    David

7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

It appears there is no remastering done to any of the recordings in this box set. I just listened to the re-recordings of Tigerlilly on Apple Music and really enjoyed them. They don't replace the originals, but they are nice renditions. I see it similar to those artists who record live versions of their songs. I like them if they add new perspectives to them but not if they are just straight shots to what people want to hear. These songs are nice, and the string arrangements are right up my alley--being a big fan of classical music. I think I will buy this box set, as I don't own the last two albums, and the rarities will be nice to own. Can't beat it for $40!

I wish Motherland was remastered though. :cry:

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Look to see if that bookshop in Woodstock NY (mentioned up-thread) still has autographed copies, It may cost a little more, but it is special.

Remastering can be over-valued. It seems that quite often it is no improvement at all. Sometimes it is a degradation.

The Revealer likes this.
  9. Kristofa

Without a doubt. But Motherland was mastered too hot and with an average DR rating of 8. I may have to track down the LP of it to see it is any better. Remasters aren’t often the answer, but when I decide to basically re-purchase somebody’s back catalogue, I often like to get something at least different to play with. Thankfully there is enough stuff I don’t have to make it worthwhile to me.

Thanks for the tip on the autographed one.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Her autograph was more of a squiggle, a symbol. Not as neat as the one on her passport.

Kristofa likes this.
  11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This was an interesting discussion until a couple of people had to ruin it by making it about McCartney.

12. Kristofa

I think it is back on track.

Say It Right likes this.
  13. Seminole

Seminole Forum Resident

This is a great box set, even if you throw out the rerecorded songs. I fine the sound very good overall. And the price per cd is 4 to 5 dollars.

The Revealer likes this.
  14. Kristofa

Does anybody know why her Live In Concert isn’t included in the box set?

15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Considering this is an artist I had interest in, but didn’t own anything by, I preordered this set at a good price per disc ratio. I have enjoyed coming back to it every few months. It’s got a lot to offer. If you don’t have much of her material, it’s worth the purchase in my opinion.

The Revealer and Galley like this.
  16. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

New
    Your entitled to your opinion..

17. Riverwest

Riverwest Forum Resident

Well...the OP made me listen on Apple Music. It certainly doesn't replace the original
    - if anything it's sounds like outtakes of the original. Anyone who is a songwriter knows
    the struggle one goes through as different personalities push for dominance in a song.
    This new version is pleasant enough - but IMO doesn't add anything to her cannon.

The Revealer likes this.
  18. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

Love McCartney. I didn’t care for the re-recordings of the Beatles songs on the Give my regards to broad street soundtrack.

19. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I finally got a hold of the CD single of Jealousy, as its the only way to obtain her live cover of Sympathy For The Devil.

GiorgioV, The Revealer and JeffMo like this.
  20. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I bought it a month or so ago. Nice book good packaging. I would recommend it for the price.

21. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I bought Hi-Rez "Natalie Merchant" on hdtracks as I found it superb musically.
    "New Tigerlily" IMHO was pointless and not nearly as good as original.

Rerecorded "Snow Goose" by Camel definitely not worse then original, and in some way better.
    From newer attempts - I also like Yes "Fly from here - return trip" much better then orginal "Fly From Here" (but perhaps it is not true re-recording).
    And some live versions often way better then studio ones, examples are many...

Jupitermadcat likes this.
  22. Kristofa

It is also on the 2-CD Tigerlily out of Europe, but I imagine the "Jealousy" single is easier to come by.

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily

GiorgioV likes this.
  23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

And much cheaper.

Kristofa likes this.
  24. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I am not an expert in Natalie's work, but songs Carnival, Wonder, Jealousy were on pop radio non-stop in mid 90's, really take me back to that time. A strong debut, and still pleasant to listen.
    Last year she was on The Tonight Show performing "These are the days"

25. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

While I like her material, she sings many of her songs exactly the same way. I have her retrospective cd. A little goes a long way.

Jupitermadcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.