Black Sabbath and Age

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texron, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

I was ten for "Paranoid" on Top of the Pops, and remained loyal until Sabotage... at the ripe old age of 15, they became the first band I stopped liking. (Still bought the albums, though, at least until Ozzy departed, and usually found one track to like on each.) But the first five albums have remained regular companions ever since...

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I was probably around 12, early 70's. This was with Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Ten Years After, etc... 60, and still bangin'!...

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Sabbath is Sabbath will never stop listening. Lifes to short as it is. Enjoy the Black Sabbath for the joy its music brings to all fans old and new.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I first heard Black Sabbath when I was 17 or 18 years old, in high school, and of course, the album was their debut, s/t Black Sabbath. I also saw them in Houston, at the Coliseum, on a twinbill, in which another of my favorite bands, Mountain, performed. I still listen to them here and there, but I can't say they are in regular rotation. I only have about 400 hand-picked and "culled" CDs, and that's a lot of competition to choose what to listen. I still favorite their first album -- it was just so raw and brilliantly different. I think one of my most favorite songs they ever did is the title track, Black Sabbath.

The rain, the thunder, the church bell clanging in the past, that "Satanic" interval in the main riff. Then it stops, and it starts with a more complicated, driving riff (hard to do, but playing it with all downstrokes is supposedly the way to go). And then it builds and explodes with a glorious Iommi solo . . .

I know that played this in concert, I think in fact it opened their set (just like it "opens" their s/t album. I remember listening to them, and I couldn't believe that just four guys on a stage created such an immersive soundscape. It sounded just like the album to my ears. I must be mistaken, b/c on the studio version, Iommi lays down more than one track (esp. evidence when he solos). Maybe I just "filled that in" from listening to the album so much. It was an amazing experience, and it sad today to think that no one recorded it on film or tape deck, and it would be impossible to reduplicate.

I think Masters of Reality is my second favorite album. Paranoid is great, but I just can't stand Iron Man as a song.

texron likes this.
  5. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Sabbath are a band I like and still listen to the Ozzy era albums. I guess I was around 10 or 11 when I heard the track Paranoid, I'm 48 now.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I still love and play all the music that I loved in my early teens - apart from Black Sabbath which I do find a little silly now (well I found it a little silly from the mid 70s onward in fact). However I do have a home-made CDR personnal best of which gets the occasional spin with a snigger.

7. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Been a Sabbath fan since I thirteen. I'm fifty-three now. I still play them on a regular basis.

8. 1980: I'm a 15-year-old just starting Grade 10. Hear the first Black Sabbath album at a party & I've been listening to them regularly ever since. As I get older it seems each time I spin an Ozzy-era Sabbath LP my admiration for them only increases. I'm 51 years young now...

danielbravo and GodShifter like this.
  9. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I think I get where the wife might be coming from. I think it might just be that she doesn't know the significance of the band and how revered they are in the world of rock music in general and heavy metal in particular. Meaning, if she equates Black Sabbath with Tiffany (a stretch I know) then I could see her point, misguided as it might be. Am I making sense?

Haggis Wampovich and texron like this.
  10. texron

texron Rory On Thread Starter

I want to make SureI don't give you guys the wrong idea. My wife more than indulges my compulsive music habit. If you saw my music room I'm sure you would agree,the fact that I have a room should tell you something about her.
    This thread was more or less my own curiosity and to see if anyone else got the stinky eye from your wife about their music habits.
    I will listen to Black Sabbath until the day I die and if the Lord allows past that.

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

First heard them when I was 12 or 13. My cousin let me borrow his Paranoid cassette and then I promptly ordered the We Sold Our Soul CD from BMG or Columbia House. From there, I eventually acquired the rest of the Ozzy era. I'm 39 now and they have remained one of my absolute favorites since then. A lot of other artists, including post-Rhoads Ozzy solo, have dropped out of my interest, but I hope the day never comes when Sabbath's first 6 no longer do it for me.

My wife likes Sabbath, but she gives me "the look" on a lot of other stuff- Slayer, Judas Priest, Bathory, Iron Maiden...

danielbravo likes this.
  12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I first heard them when I was 12 or 13. I am about to turn 43, and I still listen to them and saw them on The End tour in 2016.

GodShifter and Holy Diver like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I listened to a lot of Heavy Metal as a teen in the late 80s, including Black Sabbath.

Now, at 43 the only Metal I listen to is the albums I liked a lot then for nostalgia and familiarity as much as anything else. I haven't played Sabbath in a while, but I'll always think the first few albums are great.

14. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I first heard them at 13 when a classmate lent me his dubbed cassette copy of Paranoid. I managed to obtain the Ozzy era releases over the next few years before moving onto Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell. I'm still a fan at 45 but Paranoid has become something of a "been there, done that" album for me.

15. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I first heard them in high school when I was 14, in 1970. I listen to them every month. I do not believe in the idea that you should have specific musical tastes for your age.

16. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

The Lord won't allow it... since its the devil's music

texron likes this.
  17. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I was 16 when my Brother brought home the debut in 1970. We both loved it and saw Sabbath twice shortly after at the Eastown Theatre in Detroit.

18. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

First time was in 1970/1971 when a cousin of mine put the first album on the turntable. I was eleven at that time. I started buying Sabbath`s new releases starting with Volume 4 and never stopped since.
    I`m 57 today and still love to listen to their music occasionnaly, mainly the albums up to Sabotage. They still sound amazing, never got old.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was about 14 or 15 and I’m 51 (today in fact) and still consider them my favorite band.

20. ronm

ronm audiofreak

In about 1976 some gal from the big city of Denver came to our little hick town and introduced us guys to Black Sabbath.Thank you.They were in heavy rotation well into the 90s.Now At age 56 I still have most of their cds and lps but have moved on to other music for the most part.Has nothing to do with age its just one gets burned out.They still get an occasional spin a couple of times a year.Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was my fav.

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Happy Birthday!

GodShifter likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've always been a Led Zeppelin fan since my Dad gave me a tape of Zep II when I was nine. Nowadays I have to be in the mood for them and find a lot about them laughable. I can't take them totally seriously. The fact that so many people take them so seriously makes it funnier.

23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

First heard Sabbath around '75 or '76 as a teenager of 13 or 14. I'm 53 now.

Its funny. I "outgrew" all the heavy metal I listened to as a teen, but Sabbath remains because they're better than that simple label suggests. To me its no different than continuing to listen to Zeppelin or Blue Oyster Cult, which of course I do. Age really doesn't enter into it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I don't recall the first time I heard Sabbath, but I remember the first time I heard Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in It's entirety. It was around the summer of 1985 cruising around in my friends 82 Pontiac Firebird, letting that cassette play one side after the other. I was 16 at the time, and I'm now 49, and yes, I still listen.

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm 47. I knew some of Sabbath's bigger hits in high school in the 80s, but while I like a fair amount of hard rock, I've never really been that much of a metal guy. It's only really been in the past ten years that I've come to love the original Ozzy albums. I guess my doom and gloom quotient is up this year, since I've been on a big Sabbath kick of late. Sometimes the lyrics get a little silly, but the music has a righteous swagger to it that still packs a punch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.