Should all inner sleeves be replaced ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,
    I used to systematically replace all inner sleeves of used lps and new lps with either nagaoka 102 or mofi sleeves.

Recently, i noticed that more and more labels have started providing better inner sleeves. For example the recent Dylan Columbia releases or the newer Sony Legacy ones (Hendrix,...) come with protective anti-static sleeves attached inside the standard paper sleeve.

My question is : are those sleeves ok or should they also be replaced with better quality inner sleeves ?

The material seems to be the same.
    I have started simply removing whatever dust is in those and keeping them (except if the record was really dirty).

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The only one sleeves I ever replaced were the hard card ones that someone came with LPs. All the paper or lined ones I kept. Never invested in the Nagaoka kind sleeves. Just careful storage and occasional wipe with a Calotherm cleaning cloth.

Usky and Frosst like this.
  3. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I would save your after market sleeves for the disasters you pick up in the used bins. The sleeves you're talking about are OK.

dbsea and KT88 like this.
  4. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I generally will use the sleeves that come with new albums. Anything used gets replaced

Chris Schoen likes this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

No paper sleeves. They get replaced with poly, or poly lined paper sleeves.

Blank Frank, MikeInFla and DrZhivago like this.
  6. AFCBRINGWOOD

AFCBRINGWOOD Forum Resident

What about when you get dirt in the inner sleeves when buying a new LP? I usually clean all new LPs due to the mold release compound. Assuming this compound would lie on the inside of the inner sleeve as well, would you not be putting a clean LP back into a dirty inner sleeve if you used the original?

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I always put records into new poly-lined inners. I make an exception when the record is brand new (sealed) and happens to already come in a poly-inner.

8. All new LPs go into Audiophile Disckeepers. If any of those new LPs come with poly-lined sleeves, I'll save those for when I need to replace a crappy paper sleeve from a used LP purchased. The poly-lined ones (not the paper) are good sleeves and work perfectly fine, I just have an obsessive need for all of my new vinyl to be stored in the same way.

Nick Brook likes this.
  9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Paper sleeves I throw away imidiately. Cardboard sleeves (often come with printed lyrics and credits) I keep of course.
    In both instances records get moved into poly-lined sleeves.

Regards

Robert C likes this.
  10. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I put all vinyl ,new and old straight in to poly sleeves after wet cleaning them all first . I don't want any possible yuk migrating off the record in to a new sleeve.

11. Tartifless

Ok, so there are 2 schools.
    Those who always wash and put in new sleeves (i was part of this population).
    Those who keep the poly-lined sleeves when it is provided with the new record (i tend to go this way now, except when the record is dirty when i pull it out the first time).

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't see any reason to discard poly-lined sleeves that come with records, except for those gamey pink monstrosities that come with some new LP's. If it's a used LP and the LP is particularly dirty or the sleeve looks soiled, I replace it.

greelywinger likes this.
  13. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I never understood the attitude of dismissing inner paper sleeves. I have thousands of paper inners from the 60's and 70's that were dust free when I acquired them and still are. On the other hand the ones with holes for the label I throw away immediately. I cannot understand why these are still made. of course I use Mo-Fi type sleeves for my finer LP's. but if the paper ones are clean and not torn they remain.

14. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

You've just raised my record care paranoia to a new level o_O

AFCBRINGWOOD and Nick Brook like this.
  15. AFCBRINGWOOD

AFCBRINGWOOD Forum Resident

Sorry about that. Seriously though, if the LP is dirty then it stands to reason that the inside of the inner sleeve will be as well. I'm not sure how you would clean the muck out of there?

...or am I over thinking this??

lesterbangs likes this.
  16. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I replace every single sleeve with a mofi, and on new or collectible albums I use an outer album cover sleeve and then place the inner sleeve on the outside of the record, inside the album sleeve. This is mainly because I put my album covers on with the opening at the top so that when I slide the album into my shelves the album sleeve doesn't slide back off. I know, anal...

1970 likes this.
  17. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Everything both new and used, gets Mofi sleeves first thing. No exceptions.

1970 likes this.
  18. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Same here

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I replace any and all paper sleeves. If the sleeve has info or is part of the package I'll keep it in the jacket with the album. Here's a cautionary tale; in the 90's I lived in a 1st floor apt. facing a stream. Didn't have a lot of space and I had 100's of albums on the floor of a closet. There was a storm and the stream rose to the apt. You can guess where I'm going here, the water entered the outer edges of the apt., causing minor damage to the carpets, including the one in the closet! The albums suffered water damage, many of the jackets were ruined along with the paper sleeves, which in turn damaged the LP's. Here's the thing, the LP's in plastic sleeves came out completely untouched!

20. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

It's a legitimate concern. I was just having a little fun.

Maybe a stiffer duster to get any debris out? Not sure what to do if here is any mold release on the sleeve

21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I replace as a wash them (that is how I tell they have been washed) - unless the sleeve is the type I replace with or the album is new.

McGuy likes this.
  22. Tartifless

I agree, when a record has mild residue, i immediately change the inner sleeve after cleaning.
    But here is a list of a few recent reissues that have been astoundingly clean upon receival :
    - Pink Floyd latest reissues
    - Dylan legacy reissues
    - a few Rhino reissues

I did not have any residue or dust on those so i decided to keep the original poly inner sleeves.

23. Tartifless

So what are you doing with new records that look pristine ?

I used to clean them anyway in the spinclean but nowadays i just brush them with "last record cleaning" solution.

Of course if they have any residue they do get the full bath.

24. I always change the inner sleeves, but i keep the original with the album. New or old. Its a bit OCD, but keeps me happy

Nick Brook likes this.
  25. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I don't usually wash new albums. I used to but not any longer.

The FRiNgE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.