Speculate on why George did not have more songs on Abbey Road.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I agree with those who are more or less saying that the band did not know Abbey Road would be their last album while they were making it, but I still think there's also merit to the notion that George may have been somewhat motivated by an interest in doing a solo album, soon. There's a difference between literally not knowing when the end was going to be and not thinking the end was going to be soon. George after all had temporarily left during 68. He knew of Lennon's increasing detachment. The point is I think George was thinking about his solo project before the end.

There's also something to the notion that All Things Must Pass had a certain approach and tone that were different from Abbey Road. But I think something like Isn't It a Pity would have fit nicely on the latter.

2. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I think he felt he had something to prove.

3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

One of the many great things about it is that it has a sound unlike all of the other albums. Thanks to the new transistor desk that was first used on Abbey Road.

Chrome_Head and PaulOnTheBeach like this.
  4. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I don't feel that's an insult. I feel it's your opinion. I'm sure many will share that opinion. In my opinion George was the best song writer in The Beatles.

bhazen likes this.
  5. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

I know someone else probably said this, but there was sort of a full band version (several, actually) during the Twickenham Get Back sessions, one of which is decent enough to be released. I do like your idea though, especially since the quiet ATMP demo works so well going before the heavy progressive IWY.

6. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

I think his leaving the band during the Get Back sessions really made him think about his future, especially since he was considering doing a solo album all the way back in February 1969 (he apparently told John this, who was enthusiastic about helping, oddly).

I've always wondered if his three demos done on his birthday in 1969 ("Something", "All Things Must Pass", "Old Brown Shoe") were for that purpose, and then he just happened to use one of them when the Beatles needed a B-side for their next single (which would've been familiar since it, and all three, debuted at the sessions at Twickenham).

The odd thing is he had to know that the two songs included on Abbey Road were high quality. Obviously "Something" was at some point agreed to be the single (despite there only being a single to keep money flowing, having been released after the album), but he probably figured it was the final album, and they might as well go out with a bang (same with the re-recording of "I Me Mine"). I think all four, even John, just wanted to do the Beatle thing one last time.

7. I really don't think either song would have fit quite as well on his solo album and, quite honestly, since George didn't start recording All Things Must Pass until May of 1970, I'm not surprised. The group was truly done by the time George started recording. I also think that George, as always, played a variety of songs and those two were picked by the rest and Martin. He certainly had rich amount of material by that time.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

George also gave away "Something" to Joe Cocker, but I guess George had second thoughts and decided to go with it for the Beatles. Still Cocker recorded his version before Abbey Road came out, and Cocker's version came out about a month later.

9. belardd

belardd Senior Member

Yellow Sub lite

10. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Yes

supermd likes this.
  11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Although there are a few songs I personally don't like. Octopus and oh darling, they do sit in well in context of other Beatle records as in a Little something for everyone....

Side 2 however is as perfect as a side can be in literally every way....

Georges contributions are perfect for this album.

I would bet money that A.R will be the album that REALLY stands the test of time.... and I'm talking 50-100 years and more.

Pepper maybe more Iconic but A.R has that something timeless about it, it not stuck in the 60's for instance...

:)

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't think the Beatles captured an acceptable take. They seemed a bit bored with it. Just an opinion.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I had never realized that. I kinda assumed he wasn't on that song at all, like how he doesn't provide vocals. Very cool!

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

?? Standard Beatles policy, two George tracks per disc. I don't get this thread.

15. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

George had to go up against the team of Lennon/McCartney. He would be lucky to get two tracks on any album. Fortunately, he broke out on Abbey Road. The rest of the back catalog ended up on All Things Must Pass.

Unfortunately at the time of Abbey Road, the whole 4 agree democracy went out the window when Lennon became enamored with Allen Klein. John George and Ringo wanted him to manage The BEATLES where Paul didn't trust him, (Smart man!)

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They should have ditched the song they lifted from Chuck Berry.

17. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Since it's the 48th anniversary of Abbey Road, check my page for some pics of the boys making history:

The Beatles Recording

18. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

He had obviously decided to keep his songs for his solo album. He had built up a good selection over the last few years.

19. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Why?
    He wanted the last laugh and he got it as "All Things Must Pass" is very arguably the finest of all The Beatles solo recordings.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  20. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I think by the summer of 1969, George was intent on doing a solo album sooner rather than later (all other three Beatles responded positively to this idea when George mentioned wanting to do so in early 1969), so he was probably perfectly content to play his George role of 2 songs only for one more round as a Beatle.

What's a more interesting question is why didn't George simply revisit "Let it Down", "All Things Must Pass" or "Isn't It A Pity" for Abbey Road, songs he'd already introduced/rehearsed with the band a few months before, and then save his newer songs (Something and Here Comes the Sun) for his solo album...

Surely cutting an overdubbed studio version of "All Things Must Pass" with the Beatles would have taken less time and creative energy than introducing and perfecting "Here Comes the Sun"...with or without John...Paul was so familiar with ATMP, he and George with Ringo could have nailed a "Band-esque" version of it in a day or two while John was away. It would have segued nicely into "You Never Give Me Your Money".

I'm glad "Sun" made it on the record though. Just trying to think through what George's mindset was with doing newer songs and shelving the songs he introduced during Get Back recording...

If the Beatles had revisited "All Things Must Pass" or "Let it Down" from the Get Back sessions for ABBEY ROAD, that would have been amazing, but apparently George didn't initiate with the band to re-try those or any other songs.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Honestly, I can't imagine how "Something" and "HCTS" would've sounded with the hollow, reverb-y Phil Specter production sound of ATMP (which does often work for a lot of that album's material).

I imagine they would've been vastly inferior to the Beatles versions.

Chuckee likes this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

"Here Comes The Sun" would have probably sounded like "If Not For You" with like that organ and echoing slide sound. A breezier, mellower version without as many harmonies and less of that poppy build up to the chorus.

23. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Because the other 3 Beatles refused to record Thanks For The Pepperoni and I Remember Jeep.

NothingBrightAboutIt likes this.
  24. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I would have preferred anything on All Things taking the place of Max and Darling.

25. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

Dump Silver Hammer and replace with an old brown shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.