Why didn't they finish it?! Your favorite incomplete songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tristero, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Scenario/Audition/No Rehearsal section of Jethro Tull's Chateau d'Herouville (ie. Chateau d'Isaster) tapes - I wonder what would have happened after the ceiling crashed in. I like this sequence quite a lot and would have loved to see it reach its proper conclusion. Surely it wasn't supposed to end there?

Instant Dharma, Geir and Galeans like this.
  2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

How many half-baked Beatle duds are being suggested here when a genuine sure-fire monster hit just required a tiny bit of polishing off and a bit of flyspray to make it complete? No justice.

YardByrd, Dodoz and Fullbug like this.
  3. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Agreed, I particular for me "Angel" from COL is crying out for overdubs, in it's released state it's clearly just a basic track with a guide vocal.

DTK likes this.
  4. Rodney Toady

Speaking of XTC, I wish they had put a bit more effort into their Homo Safari series instead of letting it effectively peter out after part #3 (Egyptian Solution); parts 4-6 aren't nearly as interesting as the first three.

PretzelLogic likes this.
  5. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Roger Waters "Get Back To Radio" (KAOS demo on b side)

oboogie and Runicen like this.
  6. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Crosseyed Heart - Keith Richards

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  7. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Yeah, but Ketch Sukor made a pretty good job of finishing it with Old Crow Medicine Show.

Scope J likes this.
  8. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

My understanding is that the "I've been told..." bit related to his girlfriend's infidelity, and back when they recorded the demo/live versions, it was all a bit too fresh and he didn't want to address it directly, hence the odd placeholders.

From Wiki (apparently taken from the Peel Slowly & See liner notes):

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

I think it was supposed to end there: that bit was also performed live after the project was scrapped (with "Left Right" replacing "Scenario" but keeping the "and God the director..." bit before "Audition") and it ended there.

Rodney Toady likes this.
  10. Rodney Toady

I must say that this surprises me... To me this section has always sounded incomplete, like it was meant to continue further from No Rehearsal. There surely is plenty of unfulfilled potential in this section, so I still think they should have developed it. Anyway, thank you for your insight in this matter!

11. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

that's one of the few COL/RB/First Rays tracks that don't need further dubbing in my opinion. It got the drum overdub it desperately needed (the raw take before Mitch redid the drums in 1970/1971 after Jimi's death had some pretty bad drumming and you can still hear some stumbling at points) and in my opinion sounds good to go.

12. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I always think of McCartney's "Back Seat of my Car" as a song that was never properly finished. It is, of course, formally completed but I always felt there's a truly great, unfinished song there that was never fully developed.

13. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Gotta be "Kulee Baba," by Steely Dan. One of my favorite Steely Dan songs ever and not even finished! There's a rough mix in pretty good quality around, but with bits of studio chatter - I'm so obsessed with it that I've edited out the extraneous stuff.

Fullbug, limoges and Ignatius like this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK if the first two are incomplete as much as short.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

This sounds nearly finished to me. One of Van's best songs, imo, and it's essentially orphaned.

DTK likes this.
  16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm presuming that you've heard the following version of the song?

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense Thread Starter

Wire did a fair amount of work on their fourth album in the early 80s before temporarily disbanding. Some of it got featured in live form on Document & Eyewitness, while other tracks made it on to Colin Newman's solo albums. In more recent years, Wire returned to this material for the Change Becomes Us album, so we did get fully realized versions, though it would have been great to hear what the band would have done at the peak of their powers with Mike Thorne producing.

Moth likes this.
  18. Tristero

Another entry from Pink Floyd: Originally recorded back in 1968, "Embryo" was a pretty well fleshed out demo recording that got released on an album sampler without the band's permission. This seems to have scuttled the chances for a release on one of their studio albums, though "Embryo" would remain a staple of their live performances in the late 60s and early 70s. This would have made a fine addition to an album like Atom Heart Mother, IMO.

andrewskyDE and TonyR like this.
  19. There's a bonus track on Alan Parsons Project's Vulture Culture reissue called "No Answers Only Questions". It's obviously not entirely finished, but it could have become one of the album's standout tracks and also beats most of what's on the final 2 albums. I would love to have heard a finished version of that song.

20. Tristero

This would have made a great Byrds track. It's a pity that they didn't salvage it for 5D.

21. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Dennis Wilson - Holy Man
    The Hollies - Marrakech Express
    Fleetwood Mac - Sandy Mary

22. Chris C

Andrew Gold "Only A Minute" ...

23. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Flying Burrito Brothers (with Gram) / I Shall Be Released

I prefer this version of The Bard's soulful hymn over all others, but it breaks down abruptly and far too early at around a minute and a half.

gramfan and alchemy like this.
  24. Chris C

So many artists have released covers of standards before, but after recently hearing a little excerpt of Burton Cummings doing a moment of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" on a great podcast interview with Alec Baldwin (Here's The Thing With Alec Baldwin), I thought, why not Burton of all singers, as he still can kick butt? So this post is just wishful thinking for an official studio version of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" from Burton. In the meantime, here he is doing it live ...

25. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

One of my favorite outtakes from the reissue of Spirit's "Clear":

Jay Ferguson's horrified falsetto that opens the song suggests perverted serial killer, elsewhere maybe he's a Pusher. It ends haltingly,unfinished song?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.