Mcintosh Amp Comparison

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Waylon9, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waylon9

Waylon9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello, just a novice here. I own a Mcintosh amp 2205 series. I have a chance to buy two Mcintosh mc30 amps. They are more expensive than the 2205. Will that necessarily result in better sound? Thanks and sorry for the likely ignorant question.

2. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

No.

3. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

The MC30's (along with the MC225) are considered by many to be some of the best tube amps Mac ever made. Just make sure they are a good match to your speakers.

FashionBoy, Rolltide, nm_west and 2 others like this.
  4. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Kind of one extreme to the other, eh?

On one hand, you have a very powerful SS amp with Autoformers & Powerguard, compared to a tube amp a fraction of the power that is likely 10-15 years older.
    None the less, the MC 30's are well respected. I guess you would have to have a real yearning for a tube amp system. As mentioned, consider your speakers.
    The 2205 can power just about anything. The MC30's will be much more limited. Sound quality really does come down to personal preference.
    Just curious, what preamp are you using? If you pick up the MC30's, you may start considering an MX-110, which is a highly regarded McIntosh tube preamp/tuner combo.
    Be careful, it's a slippery slope.

beowulf likes this.
  5. Waylon9

Waylon9 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a set of Martin Logan Preface speakers, probably about 7 years old. And I am using a Mcintosh c28 preamp. I just have no idea how the mc 30’s would sound.

6. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with the Martin Logan's. Are they considered to be highly efficient? With only 30w to work with, that would be critical.
    The C28 is a fine preamp, I actually used to own one. No doubt it would sound stellar with the MC30's.

7. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I would rather have the MC30s, but they will require more efficient speakers. If I had to stick with the Martin Logans, I would also stick with the 2205.

Rolltide likes this.
  8. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

I have a pair of MC30's I just spent $1100 on getting them all cleaned up etc.
    Im open to selling them.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Probably not a great match with the 30's. The speakers are 4 ohms, not easy to drive. The 2205 is a very good amp, and the C28 a very good pre. I'd say if you like the sound as is leave it alone. Otherwise, plan on new speakers.

At the very least, do nothing without trying the 30's with the ML speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.