Aretha's Gold Mofi 45 rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bajaed, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone heard this yet? Interested in this and wondering how it sounds.

FashionBoy likes this.
  2. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

I have and really like it. This is not an audiophile recording, and there are some songs with distortion on Aretha's voice, when she sings loud, but that's on the tape I believe. The horns and background singers sound better and more palpable than in any other versions of this music. The best I have heard this great collection of songs.

FashionBoy and snorker like this.
  3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, agreed. Recommended.

4. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Thanks for the impressions. Will be ordering this before it goes out of print.

5. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

So happy to finally have this! This sounds excellent to me :)

AtlTrav likes this.
  6. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I bought it on a whim and am so glad I did. I'm not a fan of the 2x45 format, but the sound of this is worth getting up and flipping the record over. By the end of side one I was ecstatic.

What's remarkable to me is that the masters for a greatest hits can sound so good. If these tapes were a generation or two away from the official masters, I can only imagine how good they must sound!

On a related note, has anyone heard the new Rhino mono vinyl reissue of Aretha Arrives? I have a solid original but am game for a well done (and super quiet) remaster.

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

A quick note to say that I’m one LP in and I heartily concur. The depth, clarity, and weight of this mastering is superb so far. Thrilling, even. Very highly recommended.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The mix doesnt bother you fellas?

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow I’m surprised. Good to hear people are diggin this. One of my favorite albums ever. I passed cause I just figured it was later generation copies of these tunes.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The new Rhino Arrives sounds really good. More heft than my original. As almost always, the original still has some presence that won’t let me part with it. Don’t hesitate on the new one though. KG did a great job.

webmatador likes this.
  11. Gardo

Nah, it is what it is. The sound is delicious, wonky mix notwithstanding. The fidelity connects me to these great performances with more intensity than ever. And the dynamics are stunning.

AtlTrav, chacha and mpayan like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Gardo, have you ever heard the Aretha mono mixes?

btw, off topic here but I am listening to the Real Gone Music release of The Red Bird Girls (various artists from the Red Bird label) in true stereo. Wow, what a sound! Highly recommended if you are into this music. Blown away.

13. Gardo

Don’t think so, no. What’s the best source for those?

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The Queen Of Soul box set has many of the mono versions and except for a tad bit of questionable eq is very good. Also, if you do vinyl, Rhino put out a couple of her albums in mono a couple of years back. She needs a good 45 singles boxset like Otis got a few years back.

Mono

Stereo:

Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools

To me, that mono mix is simply much more balanced as far as instrument placement. Stereo has the bass cranked way over to one side.

I still like the stereo for the fidelity. But I think the mono just grooves better. And the mix plays a big oart in that. It rocks more.

This guys clips arent the best fidelity wise and there is some obvious groove damage, but still you can get the idea...

Mono:

Aretha Franklin - Think ((MONO)) 1968

Stereo:

Aretha Franklin - Think [1968] (Original Version)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Preston likes this.
  15. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I recently purchased this and could instantly tell this version has more presence compared to my original (noisy, beat up) copy. This is my fourth time through and I find my ears keep leading me away from Aretha's voice (excellent though it is) and to the music. As many times as I've heard these songs throughout the years, never has the music come through this clear and powerful.

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Listening to "I Never Loved A Man..." on the SACD right now, comparing it to Ted Jensen's mastering on Rhino's Queen of Soul box set from 1992. MFSL went for the stereo mix, the Rhino set the original mono mix, and man it's a night and day difference, though mainly for the mixes. The stereo mix has Aretha's voice bone dry, the mono mix has just a touch. The tape hiss is really noticeable on the stereo mix. It sounds like a weird monitor mix whereas the mono mix sounds like it was mixed - everything at the right balance, sitting together like they belong together. It's quite a different experience.

Just listen to the opening of "Baby I Love You," which opens with a distinctive guitar part. The mono mix uses some nice echo on it, but it has a completely different feel on the stereo mix - dry and more upfront, and yet it feels kind of ordinary and plain. The drums also work well against it in the mono mix, and in the stereo they're far apart. The stereo just doesn't have the magic that makes you sit up and listen.

jusbe likes this.
  17. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

18. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Agreed! I have all (I think) of the recent Rhino mono vinyl releases (all in the EU) and they all sound great (to me). Highly recommended.

19. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Finally opened my copy, and i have to agree. It might be the amazing dynamics or her vocals farther back in the mix, but this is definitely a different experience. The bottom end goes to impressive depths and very well defined.

20. I have I Never Loved A Man..... on vinyl in mono. What other Aretha albums have been re-issued in mono recently?

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

jusbe likes this.
  22. Thanks, I know about this, waiting with baited breadth!

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Yes, I got the Rhino mono Aretha Arrives and sounds great IMHO.

24. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

FYI Music Direct has this back in stock. It's probably the last chance to get this for under $100...

Jimijam likes this.
  25. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

True. Even better with the current 15% off code.

Jimijam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.