St. Vincent News!! Ongoing Thread For All Things St. Vincent- Will Be Updated As Needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, May 8, 2014.

1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

How do you know this?

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

She played last night in London.

Without a band.

linclink, FrixFrixFrix and englishbob like this.
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Here's setlist from London:
    St. Vincent Setlist at O2 Academy Brixton, London

Film: The Birthday Party

Marry Me
    Now, Now
    The Strangers
    Actor Out of Work
    Cruel
    Cheerleader
    Strange Mercy
    Digital Witness
    Rattlesnake
    Birth in Reverse

MASSEDUCTION:
    Hang on Me
    Pills
    Masseduction
    Sugarboy
    Los Ageless
    Happy Birthday, Johnny
    Savior
    New York
    Fear the Future
    Young Lover
    Dancing With a Ghost
    (on setlist as 'Slow Disco Interlude')
    Slow Disco
    Smoking Section

audiotom and linclink like this.
  4. wolfram

Well, that settles it.

Did you see the show? If yes, how was it?

linclink likes this.
  5. PretzelLogic

I did not (was eating a delicious meal in Chinatown), but my friend who attended and has been a fan since Love This Giant said that the absence of the band was noticeable in terms of sound, but the stage set and performance were excellent.

6. wolfram

Thanks.

Only 8 more days to wait for me.

linclink likes this.
  7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Oh, I actually forgot to comment the new album earlier here on this thread. Here's my few words about "Masseduction":
    The new album is grower and good one, I think it will open fully within time but for some strange reason I liked it already from the first listening.
    Which surely was pleasant surprise for me, eventhough I had liked the few songs that were released as snippets and singles of the new album.
    I had some prejudice as the previous album was such monster and her past work has been eclectic, so this still seems to be step towards the unknown..

linclink, whisper3978 and wolfram like this.
  8. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

From last night's show (not my photo).
    I'm sure @raphph will have some winning shots of his own. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

I went to to the show last night, and left seriously believing it to be the best show I've seen in a long time.

Imagine my surprise to see attendees ripping it to pieces online! Absolutely I noticed quite a few people leave early, but I saw even more people enraptured in a way you don't really see at gigs so much anymore.

So, in short, it seems this tour is going to be splitting audiences. I suppose it depends how open you are to the lack of a band. Annie's voice soars and her guitar screams as ever, but it's a one-woman show. If you're cool with that, you will love it.

10. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK my take on last night - I like the new album...

Not having a band conceptualised the gig as more art-rock than a memorable performance. At times it was cold, emotionless, calculated and lacked any feeling. Barely anyone moved in the crowd - no dancing - and yes lots left early...It became repetitive very quickly... She was on stage for 80 mins and felt like over two hours....

3 stars out of 5

Her gig at the Roundhouse on the last tour was much better.....I'm still digesting it...

11. raphph

Also - I don't think it helped that she was quite far pushed back from the audience when on stage - it created a distance....

I have seen as many 5 star reviews as I have 1 star reviews for last night...

I was quite close to front - but photos above look like I was quite far back....

linclink likes this.
  12. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I'm assuming there was no support, that the film was the "opening act"?

13. raphph

That film probably destroyed lots of good will in the crowd

14. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

What was/is it?

15. PretzelLogic

linclink likes this.
  16. linclink

linclink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

whisper3978 and linclink like this.
  18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

In what way, being better or worse sound?

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I just don't see what the appeal would be of seeing her stand on a stage and sing to an instrumental version of the album, occasionally playing a few licks on the guitar (with heavy effects added, of course). To each their own, but I'm not paying $$$ and dealing with a crowd for that.

GentleSenator and bluesbro like this.
  20. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I'm ok with her playing solo but doing the whole album in order is kind of a turn off... Isn't that what you do for the 20th year reunion tour?

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  21. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

I'd say she has the charisma to pull it off. And it's a great spectacle in terms of lights. I think once people know what they are expecting then thoughts on this will pick up. To each their own, obviously, but I can't say I feel short changed.

Could be a Brixton thing, also. The layout means that hardly anybody in the upper section can see the edge of the stage at all. I certainly couldn't and I'm 6'4" and was near the front of the seats! I never caught a view of the crowd below at all which was a bit of a shame.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The album is largely electronic, so I suppose she figured, why bring (and pay) a band to play music that's programmed? A computer can play it.

23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Man, I didn't even notice that, but you're right. Even worse. I can listen to the album at home. What a waste.

BeardedSteven likes this.
  24. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

Her previous touring band wouldn't make a lot of sense for the new material unless it was completely rearranged for that configuration. If you're going to be triggering a bunch of loops and tracks anyway, why not just lean into it? The clips of the show I've seen online make it quite clear that she's put a lot of thought into this approach. It's okay for an artist to try new things.

I actually wish more acts would just play through an album in sequence if there isn't too much filler. Albums are sequenced for a reason. I've seen plenty of shows from acts that are touring on their first record and they jumble up the songs in a way that is almost always worse than the album's sequence.

scarfaceclaw and linclink like this.
  25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I must break out my John Waters box set...

raphph likes this.