Netflix raises prices in UK and US -- again

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I tend to look at price increases in terms of percentages, not just the final dollar amount.
    Next I figure in the value of a dollar in today's market.
    After that I assess the raise in price against what other similar providers are charging for their goods. (in this case none of them are true apples to apples comparisons)

Netflix is raising its price by basically 10%. Double digit raises are pretty high within most commercial businesses on a yearly basis. When most businesses have a double digit raise that raise usually carries for quite a long time before the next raise.
    To get similar offerings from other providers you will spend more, often times quite a bit more.
    The value of the dollar does not make the cost of $11 per month much to spend in today's market. $11 is about 1/4 tank of fuel in my vehicle, about one layer in the bottom of a grocery bag, about one meal at a fast food place, about one movie at the theater.

Keeping track of the costs is always smart, even if the overall cost is not very high. Weighing the cost increase against the dollar alone is not the best measure of value in my opinion.

One things I would greatly enjoy being able to find out, quickly and reliable, is the true operating costs of a company.
    With that information I could assess, for myself, if I feel they are overcharging or not.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You could always look at their financial statements, though I fail to see what relevance that technical information/analysis would have on whether or not you choose to keep subscribing.

3. If I can find out where they are spending the money as well as understand the profits being made I can better understand where my money is going.

For instance, lets say company (P) is selling a package deal. If the major expense of that package is used to purchase two channels, but I do not use those two channels, it is not a good deal for me. This is where knowing the actual costs can play a role in determining value.

Add to that the idea of excessive profits and the knowledge is even more useful. Lets say those two channels cost the provider $1/month to purchase, but they are charging me $100/month for the package. At that point the profits are too much for my value system and I will shop elsewhere.
    Most providers lump so much together that it is pretty much impossible for the subscriber to determine where the money really goes.

This is a bit like going grocery shopping but instead of you choosing every item you purchase the grocery store has items pre-boxed and only marked with a price.
    You choose a $300 box, pay, and go home only to find you have ten pounds of beef tenderloin, two cans of tomato soup and four boxes of macaroni and cheese. Nothing else.
    While this may be fine it probably is not what you wanted to spend all your grocery money buying.

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Besides Sneaky Pete, the only other Prime Shows I've liked are Bosch, Goliath, The Night Manager and Startup. There's quite a lot of Amazon original series I've never seen though. I just never see anyone recommend them. I'll probably keep my annual subscription because I like the free 2 day shipping. Hopefully they put out more good shows.

5. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It looks like you're right. They're still pretty good on documentaries, I guess those are cheap to license and they have some good docs of their own. This is the first 101 movies I streamed from Netflix from late 2009 to late 2010. I clicked on all the links and only 7 are available streaming now - Bridget Jones's Diary, Whatever Works, Punch Drunk Love, XXX, The Commitments, Picture Perfect, Someone Like You.

001. Sphere
    002. Godzilla
    003. Mr. Holland's Opus
    004. The Visitor
    005. Mr. Holland's Opus
    006. Beyond Rangoon
    007. Twister
    008. The Man Without a Face
    009. Extreme Measures
    010. Boyz N the Hood
    011. As Good as It Gets
    012. Dead Bang
    013. The Proposal
    014. Bridget Jones's Diary
    015. Flawless
    016. Power
    017. Devil in a Blue Dress
    018. Moon
    019. The Fisher King
    020. Flatliners
    021. Whatever Works
    022. Someone to Watch Over Me
    023. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
    024. Outland
    025. Step Brothers
    026. Slackers
    027. Brick Lane
    028. The Anderson Tapes
    029. The Princess Bride
    030. In the Electric Mist
    031. Night Moves
    032. The Fan
    033. Julie & Julia
    034. Iceman
    035. The First Wives Club
    036. Night Falls on Manhattan
    037. Frozen River
    038. The Rookie
    039. Sleepless in Seattle
    040. City of Angels
    041. Days of Thunder
    042. Under Suspicion
    043. Guarding Tess
    044. Greenfingers
    045. Good Will Hunting
    046. Happy Accidents
    047. Heart and Souls
    048. Scent of a Woman
    049. Forever Young
    050. Mad Dog and Glory
    051. Other People's Money
    052. Instinct
    053. Drop Zone
    054. Paycheck
    055. Wonder Boys
    056. The Fourth Protocol
    057. The Men Who Stare at Goats
    058. The Ballad of Jack and Rose
    059. Dragonfly
    060. Dude, Where's My Car?
    061. Suburban Girl
    062. Punch-Drunk Love
    063. The Whole Nine Yards
    064. Seven Pounds
    065. Only You
    066. Firefox
    067. XXX
    068. Amreeka
    069. Bottle Shock
    070. The Buddy Holly Story
    071. The Sweet Hereafter
    072. Cruising
    073. Christine
    074. Event Horizon
    076. Raw Deal
    077. Dead Man Walking
    078. Before and After
    079. Nick of Time
    080. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
    081. Searching for Bobby Fischer
    082. Fried Green Tomatoes
    083. The Choirboys
    084. The Package
    085. When in Rome
    086. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo1
    087. Rising Sun
    088. The Royal Tenenbaums
    089. Romancing the Stone
    090. Lock Up
    091. The Idolmaker
    092. Heartbreak Ridge
    093. Criminal Law
    094. The Commitments
    095. Picture Perfect
    096. Legal Eagles
    097. Guilty by Suspicion
    098. Someone Like You
    099. Of Mice and Men
    100. One Fine Day
    101. Against All Odds

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying and doing due diligence is an important consideration when say, choosing to invest stock in a company or even a takeover, etc, but I guess I just don't see the point in doing that if you're just a consumer of content. Either you like the content that's offered and are prepared to pay the asking subscription price or you're not. The internal machinations of how that revenue is apportioned seems irrelevant to me as a consumer.

With respect to spending, I read an article the other day where they (Netflix) said that they would be making some 80 movies next year and spending up to eight billion dollars in original programming.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

netflix, supposedly is in big big financial trouble.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

According to who? Just because they're spending big on original content (ie, reinvesting into the company) does not mean they're in trouble. You could then say the same thing about Tesla and Amazon way back when people wondered if they'd ever turn a profit. Netflix actually had a good last quarter.

Myke likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

article earlier in the week in our local paper about the financial woes at netflix.

10. Here's a number to ponder: As of September 30, Amazon now has 90 million Prime members who pay $99 per year for membership. 90,000,000 x $99 = $8.91 BILLION. Granted its split for music movies and shipping, but still.....

chacha likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

stunning, isn't it

Mazzy likes this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Lordy that’s a lotta dough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.