Beck - "Colors", new album in October 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Thank you! I've seen a lot of favorites in this thread but was leaning toward Mutations. Colors won out because I like a good controversy. :) Mutations will be next...

I love that I've got several more highly regarded albums to look forward to by him but am embarrassed it took me so long. And then there's the non-album stuff. :O

2. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

It's impressive that his quality albums are so vast now that his breakthrough album Odelay didn't get mentioned. (Although some may consider Mellow Gold with Loser his breakthrough album).

Damien DiAngelo and Mazzy like this.
  3. If you listen to Odelay and Midnight Vultures , then Colors doesn’t seem so far fetched.

The other direction is Mutations which is more Anglophile retro -Kinks, Early Bowie etc.

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Mutations next. My fave after Sea Change.

Only another week until the vinyl reissue!

5. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Uh,,,,this record is cool. I picked up a yellow version and it appears to be pressed at Pallas and has CB in the dead wax - what’s not to like - quit hating. A party record fo sure!!!!!

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I second Modern Guilt, one of his best albums.

7. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Mutations is wonderful. I had a lot going on in my life at the time it was released and it somehow flew under my radar. I've just recently "discovered" it and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

8. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Mutations was so low-key when it came out that no one called it their favorite at the time. But my god has it aged well. It legitimately might be Beck’s finest LP. Staggeringly great.

Graham and whisper3978 like this.
  9. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

and the album was recorded so quickly, I believe they tracked one song a day. And the song "Sing It Again" just amazing, I believe that particular track was recorded live (including his vocals)...

10. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

getting back on topic after this statement......Mofi if you are reading this, how about a Mutations and Midnight Vultures MFSL 2x45 release :)

AZRunner, Revolver, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  11. Tom Schreck

Seems true. They probably did multiple takes though, which you can hear them discuss at the beginning. “Do another one?” “Damn right.” **counts off**

12. pinkpotato

pinkpotato Forum Resident

I'm partial to Golden Feelings.

His best!

13. Tom Schreck

I love the early indie stuff too! One Foot in the Grave is a gem, and so are Golden Feelings and Stereopathetic Soulmanure. But he really became a mature artist starting with Odelay.

14. BlueDreams

BlueDreams Well-Known Member

My favourite Beck album is The Information, then Modern Guilt, and now Colors - it's exactly the album I've waited for years to come. Guero and Morning Phase are also on my favourite list. Anyway, I love all Beck albums (except Sea Change). :)

Satchidananda likes this.
  15. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Just a few days after release and I'm still amazed that I like this as much as I do (I read a couple takedowns of the album pre-release and assumed I'd hate it because of "Wow" and "Up All Night"). The title track is SO "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" and I LOVE it.

anthontherun likes this.
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I dunno. Most people I knew were gobsmacked by Mutations at the time. I know I was. It was a sound that had been hinted at previously (e.g., Ass/hole) that fully blossomed. I had a lot going on at that time as well, and Mutations landed at the perfect moment. Always been my fav... followed closely by Odelay and Midnight Vultures...

17. BlueDreams

BlueDreams Well-Known Member

After my 3rd listen I have to say that this album is a modern masterpiece.

Spsesq, FJFP and JoeF. like this.
  18. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Ha! I watched his performance on the Ellen show last night and he looked very awkward trying to use a party persona on stage. So much that it made me uncomfortable watching it. I haven't seen any other live performance footage of him so maybe he's always that way? Perhaps he should go the Pet Shop Boys route and just do deadpan delivery on stage. I always loved the contrast of them just standing there while performing a high energy pop song.

19. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Agree, he ain't no Prince on stage, you can say
    that again!

jamesc likes this.
  20. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I mean, it's a freaking daytime talk show. Not sure that's the best gauge for a performer. You're trying to get a bunch of middle aged housewives wound up on a weekday afternoon? I'd be awkward as hell too.

21. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Yeah, he's always been super awkward on stage. Sometimes it works, though! Somewhat unrelated, but this is worth watching.

Shaddam IV, kronning, Spsesq and 5 others like this.
  22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

That was very cool. Great song to cover too!

Shaddam IV and whisper3978 like this.
  23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

You should check out the INXS covers with St. Vincent.

jamesc likes this.
  24. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

That was bloody fantastic ! Thanks.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

Tom Schreck, gregorya and Binni like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.