Chris Bell I am the cosmos - new release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tojo, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

One track "Better Save Yourself" was presented as a different version (with different lyrics) on the Rhino 2CD compared to the original Ryko set. The "original" version was put on Disc 2 as an "alternate." At the time, Adam Hill from Ardent noted (in a video on YouTube) that they lost the original mix so they were doing a new mix. Indeed, the version that ended up on Disc 2 is a different mix... one in which the strings are audible, unlike the original Ryko version where they were buried too deep in the mix to be obvious. (I suspect the original release used a mix that Bell oversaw.)

From what I can tell, all of the mixes on the Rhino 2CD version have ended up on the Omnivore version without changes, except for a couple of songs that might have a little more studio noise or longer/shorter count-ins. The Omnivore version has the talking after "Clacton Rag (So Long Baby)" removed.

The versions of "I Am The Cosmos" and "You And Your Sister" on the Ryko version run at the speed they were recorded at. When it came time to release the Car single in 1978, Chris used varispeed to speed up both songs. These sped-up single versions were used for the Rhino and Omnivore 2CD sets. The original-speed versions from the Ryko CD haven't been reissued, though some of the outtakes (or alternate mixes) run at the same speed.

The recording of "I Am The Cosmos" is fairly messy. Chris re-used an old tape with splices already in it (which are audible during the solo), plus it's a tape he worked and re-worked heavily. Omnivore liner notes state that Chris liked to bury his vocals somewhat. So perhaps this is what you're hearing. Some of the outtakes/alternates strip away some of song that was burying his vocals, so they will likely sound a little more "clean."

zongo, Digital-G, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I contacted Omnivore and was told that some copies of the initial pressing had defects that resulted in more surface noise. The problem I described to them is something they said they were hearing from others. But they also noted that this only impacted some copies, while others were sounding good. So it would appear it was just part of the run that was affected. They told me to return the LP for an exchange.

3. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

You can do a lot more with digital trickery now than you could in 1992, but you can't bring up and separately EQ guitars in the mix with just a remaster. Check out this comparison of the tom fill and four bar break after the first verse in Better Save Yourself from the original with the same passage in the new release (I brought the audio level up ~5 dB in the original to keep the comparison consistent level-wise):

Chris Bell BSY Compare

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Source?

5. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

Two oddly shaped appendages on either side of the old dome. ;)

Burningfool likes this.
  6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Ordered and hoping I get a good one. Such a fantastic collection of songs.

7. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Got mine today: perfect clear vinyl phew!! Until now I had only listened to this album on Spotify and youtube and I must say I’m surpriced how good it actually sounds. So glad to finally have this great album. Highly recommended edition. Long live Omnivore.

budwhite likes this.
  8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I thought I read somewhere that no-one was 100% sure what speed "I Am the Cosmos" was actually supposed to be at. i.e., that the tape was running a little fast or slow at the time of recording. I may have imagined this.

9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I really, really want to hear this. Almost stopped at my local Bull Moose Music on my way home from work, but I think I'm going to wait for the box set instead. I have the double CD so I guess I can wait a couple more months.

10. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

Add me to the list of people with defective vinyl :(. Mine had deep scratches on both sides covering all tracks. Like you'd see if someone tried to ruin a record (not that I think that happened, but they were straight scratches from the edge to center). Waiting on a replacement now from Amazon. I'm pretty disappointed, I think my days of buying new vinyl are coming to a close based on the last year.

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Deep scratches? This is so deplorable. I can understand your despondency.

12. mwicks

mwicks Forum Resident

Yeah, easily the deepest scratches I've seen on a new LP. The straight scratches look like something was dragged across, and then there is a really deep one on the last track of side 1 that looks cut with a knife or something. I'd take pictures but I already packed it up and sent it back.

13. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The original mix (or at least the mix used for the 1992 release) of "Better Save Yourself" was lost according to Adam Hill at Ardent. They ended up replacing the song with an entirely different version for the main album (which has a different verse). The version used on the 1992 release was used as a bonus track on Disc 2 of the Rhino release (and the subsequent Omnivore release), but it needed a new mix.

All of the other songs on the LP seem to use the same mixes that were used in 1992. At least that's how it appears to my ears.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The Rhino Handmade set is excellent but "see dee" people should grab the Omnivore if the price is right. Great liner notes and the sound is excellent. That clear vinyl set does look beautiful. :righton:

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The Omnivore mastering is far better than the Rhino, which is their typical brcikwalled crap. The Omnivore has no limiting whatsoever!

C6H12O6, srsch and Burningfool like this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Just picked up the news CD edition of this at my local. It's going next to the three Big Star albums (oh, and the Box Tops compilation Soul Deep because reasons).

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Would
    I have the Ryko release. Can you tell me how the Omnivore compares to the Ryko from a sound quality standpoint?

18. WonkyWilly

The Ryko has noise reduction and some vintage mixes in poor shape. The Omnivore is superbly mastered (no NR or limiting) and has new mixes in place of the damaged ones. It also has many bonus tracks...acoustic mixes, alternate mixes, studio outtakes...a fantastic release IMO.

C6H12O6, srsch and Hep Alien like this.
  19. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Thank you very much. I think this is an excellent album and I ill definitely pick up the Omnivore based on your recommendation. I was never really thrilled with the Ryko but didn't want to spend the money on the Rhino. Glad I didn't.

WonkyWilly likes this.
  20. Fraga

Fraga Forum Resident

I'm also having this happening to my copy. Is it surface noise on specific passages of songs and especially during the quieter, acoustic ones? Kinda bummed because I don't know if it's my cartridge (which pick ups surface noise a lot) or the vinyl copy.

PS: it is more noticeable on the left speaker.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  21. Great to hear the CDs sound great, I'll pick up the 2 CD set. Can't wait to hear the bonus material.

patient_ot and Hep Alien like this.
  22. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

So, other than some pre-and post-song chatter and/or count-ins. there is no reason to hang on to the Rhino Handmade 2 CD edition, correct?

I've read the whole thread, but all of these mixes and alternates are confusing my middle-aged mind, thanks.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Conversely, I would love to hear more comments about the mastering on the Omnivore set. I have put together a playlist - thanks to past/present comments on this forum - that combines the Rhino with the remaining variants from the Ryko. Looking for enough reason to jettison all that and pick up the new one.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. WonkyWilly

The Ryko is noise reduced and the Rhino is brickwalled. The Omnivore is neither...it is fully dynamic with breath of life.

If you liked the Big Star Third deluxe, then you will like this one, as it is curated and mastered exactly the same way.

C6H12O6, srsch, Galley and 4 others like this.
  25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Exactly. It’s almost heartwarming to get something like this in this day and age.

WonkyWilly and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.