The new Bear Family Killer Box Set!! The LOUISIANA HAYRIDE as it truly happened! Live recordings!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terje Morewood, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. domcasmurro

domcasmurro Active Member

You're welcome! :D

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Just the book alone is worth $75! What an instant library of Americana roots music!
    Beave

Jimijam and domcasmurro like this.
  3. domcasmurro

You bet... I can't wait to have this set in my hands :)

4. The Beave

Bumped

Beave

5. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Ordered! Holy moly what a bargain. Thanks so much for the heads up!

6. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

Wow, $142 Canadian on amazon.de.
    Talk about an impulse buy!

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It's an amazing compilation! I'm very nervous about how it sounds.

Jimijam likes this.
  8. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Ordered..thanks for the heads up and being Bear family the Quality will be there.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  9. atlantasteven

atlantasteven Mercy Mercy Me

Just ordered! This is whole new genre for me. I hope I made a good choice.

EddieMann likes this.
  10. The Beave

Me too! But I do like Hank Williams so just going back to our Rock and Roll Roots.
    And in any genre, a good song is a good song.
    Plus, no American Record company has even attempted to do something like this, a once in a lifetime chance at an Instant Library of American Historical Roots Music. Pretty Incredible.

And as of 6:31 am Seattle time, Amazon.de put the price BACK UP to €174.99 Euro's!
    Whew.........
    But me Wifes going to kill me when she finds out!
    Beave

domcasmurro and EddieMann like this.
  11. darling

darling Senior Member

For the most part, sure. But I'm not sure they can do much with, say, Elvis' "Little Mama".

12. The Beave

But that's ok. You can't have it all. But given that anybody would even TRY to put out an Historical Package like this is incredible. Don't see the Smithsonian doing it. Plus we must keep in mind that it's a minor miracle that ANY of this has survived the decades when it, at the time, was most likely considered 'disposable', like Rock and Roll was in the early days, Master tapes being wiped etc. So as long as the tunes aren't smothered in Noise Reduction, I'll be ok with it.

Beave

ZippyPippy, Jimijam and domcasmurro like this.
  13. darling

darling Senior Member

Not a criticism - just a statement of fact. I'd much rather they included poor-quality-but-historical material than exclude them. I'm sure BF have done the best they can with what's available.

(Now I just need to justify buying their Big D Jamboree set as a companion piece... )

14. skydropco

Rarewaves are selling copies of 'Jamboree' for $138 US on Ebay..best price I've seen:whistle:

15. domcasmurro

Did you guys see the promo video they put out last week? It has a few song snippets and, to me, they sound very good. It is not A+, and it has a few crackles and noises, but considering that A) these recordings are around 60/70 years old, and B) they were recorded live for radio broadcast, Bear Family seems to have done a great job. I'm curious about the Elvis ones, because I never heard any live material from that period that sounded OK.
    Here's the promo video, by the way:

artfromtex and ZippyPippy like this.
  16. darling

darling Senior Member

Yeah, somehow paying $140 for eight discs when I just spent $100 for twenty discs doesn't seem such a deal. I wonder what ebreggae were selling it for back in the day...

17. The Beave

You bet! I don't mind lo fi in this case, give it to us!
    Beave

18. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

I'm nearly certain it will sound very good. I have lots of Bear Family music and, except for some CDs being too loud, they all sound pretty great. The Dim Lights Thick Smoke and Hillbilly Music set starts in 1945 and goes through 1970. One CD for each year. I play this set more than just about any other music I own. They all sound great. I think around 1962 they changed mastering engineers and they do get louder and more "modern" sounding. I prefer the older discs but all of them sound very good.

19. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

The press release states that much of the featured 24+ hours worth of music hasn't been heard since the original broadcasts. I believe it. While I have heard some Louisiana Hayride material before (Elvis, Hank, etc), what I would like to know is where the bulk of this treasure trove has been for the past 60/70 years? Is it newly discovered? Has it resided with personal collectors, the record companies, the artist's families/estates, etc? Hope the book covers this in-depth. Also, hope the books covers how they transferred the source material to digital, the mastering process, etc.

domcasmurro and Jimijam like this.
  20. The Beave

Are we Brothers???? :goodie: Man you nailed everything in this post. You Rock!
    Beave

jdlaw likes this.
  21. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

GAH! Looks like I missed out on this amazing price twice :shake:

22. The Beave

Why.?????????
    When the Hoffman site is your friend?????????
    Beave

23. rod

rod Senior Member

24. skydropco

Amazon .de is temporarily out of stock..no doubt partially due to the Hoffman onslaught.

Jimijam and ZippyPippy like this.
  25. The Beave

YEAH BAYBEE!!!!!!
    Beave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.