New York Times: The Gay Architects of Classic Rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Fascinating article about how many of the managers of classic rock bands were gay; Brian Epstein (the Beatles) obviously, but also Kit Lambert (the Who), Robert Stigwood (Cream and the Bee Gees), Simon Napier-Bell (the Yardbirds, Marc Bolan), Billy Gaff (Rod Stewart), Ken Pitt (David Bowie), Barry Krost (Cat Stevens) and Larry Parnes (Tommy Steele and Billy Fury).

The Gay Architects of Classic Rock

2. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

linclink, Tanx and Rooster_Ties like this.
  3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Did Joe Meek shape his acts' appearance and style?

Little Richard was his own architect.

Adam9, O Don Piano and Lightworker like this.
  4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

They left out Bill Aucoin. Figures.

5. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

"Out magazine ranked David Geffen first in its list of the fifty Most Powerful Gay Men and Women in America" - Wikipedia

Rooster_Ties, johnaltman and Sigma6 like this.
  6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

And John Reid.

Dum-dums.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Is Nicky Nichols convincing Todd Rundgren to dress like this for his first Midnight Special appearance considered a positive or a negative impact by a gay man?

[​IMG]

8. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Gino Emprey here in Canada: a groundbreaking promoter.

9. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Todd is a weird-lookin' dude. I'm of the mind that making him look like an alien or inhuman thing or whatever that is makes his weird-lookin'-dude-ness less obvious. YMMV on whether that's a good thing or not. (Total genius either way!)

10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Fascinating article. I read it this morning and was struck by the loyalty and respect the straight band members gave their gay managers. It was a symbiotic relationship. The gay manager got to express his maleness through the band. Kit Lambert could tell Townshend to "leave a wound" when giving an interview. Brian Epstein's inability to love someone openly in life found expression in the Beatles' message of "all you need is love."

For those upthread whose favorite gay rock personality wasn't included, this article concentrated on British rock of the 1960s and early 1970s.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I don't believe that Heinz Burt was a "blonde" before he encountered Joe Meek,

12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

That must be why it mentioned Danny Fields, David Geffen and Clive Davis.

13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Picky. I said "concentrated", not "exclusively." It also mentioned Jann Weiner. Still, the majority of the article is about British bands at the beginning of the classic rock era. Do you disagree with that?

In that context, I agree, John Reid should have been mentioned.

14. Chris DeVoe

The article concentrated on those who had to remain closeted.

crispi and ggergm like this.
  15. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

What was The Rutles manager’s name? Wasn’t he referenced as being gay in “All You Need Is Cash”?

Interesting article. I kind of read The Times over breakfast but missed it, so thanks!

16. Chris DeVoe

Leggy Mountbatten. A joke about Brian Epstein, who got off fairly easy compared to the film's Yoko, who's father invented WWII.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  17. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Clive Davis? Oh man, I feel so stupid.

18. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Thank you very much for pointing out the article.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Glad to. Some of the more interesting things it points out, things that are such an accepted part of rock and roll culture that we barely notice them, like how freaking camp Mick Jagger's whole stage persona has always been. (What Richard Belzer described as a "rooster on acid.")

Another part I especially liked was how the Beatles defended Brian:

Jock McLean, who worked as an assistant to George Harrison 50 years ago, noticed the depth of the relationship between the Beatles and Mr. Epstein one August day not long before the manager’s death. Mr. McLean’s job was to pick up the singer-songwriter Harry Nilsson, a promising new artist in those days, and drive him to a meeting with Mr. Harrison at the house he was renting on Blue Jay Way in the Hollywood Hills, Calif.

There was talk of Mr. Nilsson perhaps joining the Beatles’ nascent company. That’s when things went sour, Mr. McLean said.

“George was talking about how wonderful the whole thing was going to be, trying to convince Harry to join the company,” Mr. McLean recalled. “It was all great until Harry said, ‘The only thing is, I don’t think I could be managed by a gay man.’” (Mr. Epstein’s sexuality was known by many in the industry at the time.)

Incensed, Mr. Harrison gave his assistant a nod.

“In a heartbeat, Harry was out of the house,” Mr. McLean said. “George, like all the Beatles, was extremely supportive of Brian. To them, Brian was the man.” (After Mr. Epstein died, Mr. Nilsson had a rapprochement with the band and worked closely with John Lennon.)
    The article also points out that, up until 1967, it was illegal to be gay in Britain! How insane is that?

20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I wonder if it wasn't a sort of secret super power to know what would appeal to girls and boys?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  21. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing that out with the link.
    It also reminded me of that movie about Kit Lambert and Chris Stamp. I've got to watch that soon.

22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Great article. Thanks. Really interesting and totally unknown aspect. Didn't know many of these guys were gay. Jan Wenner? Didn't know that. Thanks for the article.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Who cares if a bands manager is gay, straight or whatever? It's individual talent and skill that matters, not orientation.

I look forward to the day when none of this matters anymore - I'll likely be long dead by then though.

24. Chris DeVoe

It's a useful thing to look at rock of that era through this lens. The article, and at least one of the books mentioned, make the case that gay managers encouraged performers to be more flamboyant, delivering a better show.

Man at C&A, ARK, starduster and 13 others like this.
  25. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Good point.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.