Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

2. DeepFloyd11

I love this one....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, bluemooze and Mowgli like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Which library is this?

Mowgli likes this.
  4. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Klementinum Library in Prague.
    Nikola Tesla spent a lot of time there when he lived close by in 1880.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Schumann Piano Quintet today. Very nice.

[​IMG]

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to part one of "Trouveres- Courtly Love Songs From Northern France 1175-1300" performed by Sequentia from the "Sequentia Edition" box set on DHM.

[​IMG]

7. bryantn3

bryantn3 New Member

New member here, so I'm rather late (Me to myself: ya think? 430 pages late, haha), but I suppose we're also talking more modern orchestral and such? I really like listening to Koji Kondo's Zelda 25 anniversary orchestral soundtrack, unlike the score for a lot of modern medium, The Legend of Zelda music really stands out on it's own.
    I also enjoy baroque and harpsichord music, mostly when I'm waking up in the morning and drinking coffee.
    Have you heard of Anthony Phillips? He was a founding guitarist for Genesis, and he released an album of several original arranged pieces. It's like listening to a small orchestral quintet or sextet, but with acoustical and electric guitar, and things like the oboe and flute and violin. Very minimal percussion, to the point that it sounds a lot more like a weird time traveling baroque group from the 18th century than a modern band, although there are certainly more modern themes within the lyrics of the three non-instrumental songs. The record is called "The Geese and the Ghost", if you're interested in hearing it. It's one of my favorite records to relax to, and although it's not traditional classical music, it kind of counts in my mind.
    Although there are definite strains of rock and jazz within it, I also enjoyed Dave Grusin's score to Three Days of the Condor from 1975.
    I have like 300 8-tracks of classical music my grandfather played when I was little that I need to listen to. They're so old, though, that I need to buy some of those replacement metal strips to rejoin the ends of the tape. I'll get around to it soon. He also left me some big band, jazz, and swing records that I added to my collection when he died that I like to listen to. Which invariably surprises people my parents' age. They always react like, "You're listening to that? I don't even listen to that, my parents listened to that. But oh well, I like what I like.

8. bluemooze

First listen to CD 20 from "RCA Living Stereo Vol. 1".

"Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade / Stravinsky - Song Of The Nightingale" performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra led by Fritz Reiner.

[​IMG]

9. bluemooze

Welcome. :targettiphat:

crispi likes this.
  10. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

The Monte Carlo Opera Orchestra made a lot of recordings back in the day for Philips, it seems. Their recording of the Saint-Saens 4th Piano Concerto was my introduction to the piece, on:
    [​IMG]

11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

12. DeepFloyd11

Big fan of Anthony Phillips, Steve Hackett and anything Genesis here. Do you know and like Yes and Steve Howe as well? About Zelda I know through my daughters. A lot if Anime include classical music in their soundtracks.
    Since this is the Classical Music thread ...what composers of Baroque music do you like to listen to? There are big fans here for sure ...:wave:

ShallowMemory and bluemooze like this.
  13. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 1 from "Helene Grimaud - The Piano Collection" on Brilliant. These are her Denon recordings.
    • Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 2 - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Jesus Lopez-Cobos
    • Ravel - Piano Concerto in G major - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Jesus Lopez-Cobos
    [​IMG]

14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]
    John Culshaw: RING RESOUNDING · The Recording of “Der Ring des Nibelungen”

Just started reading this yesterday and I'm about halfway through. It's an immensely enjoyable read, very well-written and a very gripping story.
    I've just finished reading the part where they had a first (very expensive) attempt at recording Siegfried with a different tenor, which turned out to be a bad idea because, despite the singer's extraordinary voice, he was unexperienced at Wagnerian roles and utterly unprepared and unwilling to rehearse. Culshaw does not mention his name at all (probably at the time in order to not destroy his reputation), but a little Internet research pointed me towards the right person:

Ernst Kozub. First time I hear of him. Culshaw describes him as the best Heldentenor of the early '60s. What is interesting is the fact that his Wikipedia article attributes his exit from the Decca Ring recording sessions due to health problems, something Culshaw doesn't say at all.

He was replaced by Wolfgang Windgassen.

15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

Edwin Fischer • Bach • Well-Tempered Clavier • EMI France 5LP box

A beautiful set, in every way.

[​IMG]

16. bluemooze

Now listening to "Respighi - Piano Quintet / String Quartet / Six Pieces for Violin and Piano" performed by The Ambache on Chandos.

[​IMG]

17. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Ernst Helmuth Flammer: Interferenza Mente Sovrapposizione (1988–1990)
    for cello, orchestra and live electronics
    Werner F. Selge, cello
    SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg/Lothar Zagrosek
    EXPERIMENTALSTUDIO des SWR/Ernst Helmuth Flammer, sound director

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

19. bluemooze

Now streaming on Spotify, "Giovanni Paolo Cima - Concerti Ecclesiastici (1610)" performed by Musica Figurata on Musica Antica.

[​IMG]

andolink likes this.
  20. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Gabriel Fauré: Violin Sonata No. 2 in E minor, Op. 108
    Ariadne Daskalakis, violin
    Roglit Ishay, piano

[​IMG]

Wes H, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  21. DeepFloyd11

Good morning! On the TT.....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

22. DeepFloyd11

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

Wes H, mdekoning and bluemooze like this.
  23. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

The girlfriend is a big fan of Zelda; we saw the music from the games performed as "Symphony of the Goddess" a few years back. Good stuff.

24. bluemooze

Now streaming on Spotify, "Bax: Works for Viola & Orchestra" performed by Philip Dukes (viola) and the BBC Philharmonic led by Sir Andrew Davis on Chandos.

I have enhanced my enjoyment of Spotify by inserting an EQ (a Schiit Loki) between my DAC and receiver, and turning up the bass. :shtiphat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I should have this recording ...

bluemooze likes this.