Neil Young Harvest Moon 2XLP Reissue for Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leviethan, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

That sounds about right.

Efus, c-eling and sassi like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Roughly 17 a side makes for the album length.
    Looking forward to this :)

3. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

1) A member above said he thought Neil went back to analogue recording and mixing with sleeps with angels...another one said he thought it was with Mirror ball...Does someone know for sure when he gets back to analogue recording and mixing during the nineties ?
    2) A member above said he thought Neil began recording digital with everybody's rocking. That surprises me as this long player was out in the summer of 1983 f I recall correctly. I thought that the main rock stars were recording on tape through 1985/1986 even if I know there was already some digital record in 1979 (I remember the sticker on a ry cooder record in 1979 saying with pride that it was recorded digitally).

c-eling likes this.
  4. Yeah Bop Till You Drop had the Digitally Recorded sticker on it in August 79

Gavinyl, The Elephant Man and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Tough to discern on a few if not publicly noted, probably a good way to test is if someone has done a transfer. As we know Fagen's 1982 'The Nightfly' was. This confirms it also...
    [​IMG]

6. Love Rothko Paintings. :tiphat:

[​IMG]

subtr, IanL, Satchidananda and 16 others like this.
  7. djemar

djemar Forum Resident

A beautiful album that I've been searching for on vinyl (for a decent price) for years. Will definitely be lining up to grab this.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

So what's on the side 4?

9. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I believe 1980 Rush's Moving Pictures was a digital recording.

As for Neil, I think Neil was very open to technology coming off the Trans record, and what drove that record, an attempt to find a way
    to communicate with their severely handicapped son. He got very into synths and vocoders to alter his vocals.
    So logically, at least to me, it was the next step, to start recording digitally.

0476pearljam likes this.
  10. there are lots of vinyl versions of albums from the CD era of the 80s and 90s that have a black or etched side four.

JoeRockhead and vitorbastos123 like this.
  11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have an original pressing of this (German I think?) that I bought when released. Sounded pretty cold to me as I recall. Haven’t played in a long time.

12. I love the music. One of my fave NY CDs.

chacha likes this.
  13. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

So does this increase or decrease the odds of there being a wider release of this? I'm likely to be out of town for BF RSD and would just generally like to avoid long lineups if this will end up being more widely available later.

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just an educated guess - and please correct me - but none of NY's recent reissues were limited limited. So it would be slightly daft to start this trend with the 90's albums. But it's vinyl, man. So who knows....

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

It’s not a rsd exclusive but a rsd first release, meaning it will be available after.

Minty_fresh, Satrus, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well it's a German pressing of a winter album so what did you expect :laughup:

Even though I never thought it sounded bad. Like "Ragged Glory" or "Sleeps With Angels" the original pressings are not bad at all.

Pathfinderpat and chacha like this.
  17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I noticed this distinction on the RSD website, Harvest Moon is listed in the "RSD First" section,
    like the previous RSD reissue of "Decade", didn't take too long to come out in wide release.

canada_toque likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Record Day:
    45rpm 2LP HARVEST ?

19. I have both the original German pressings of this and Ragged Glory + Weld. After that my selective Neil Young discography reverts back to CD. Back in 1991 I did have Weld on CD but it sounded very thin and brittle. The LP I replaced it with sounded a lot better. Mind you CD players back then were not as good as they are now. The WEA German pressings are mastered very quietly, presumably to counter the problem of great side length. With that said all three of these original LP's sound very good to my ears so I'll gladly pass on the reissue.

20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Seems such a waste. M83's Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts had a bonus track on side D that wasn't available on the original CD (although it may have been available on special editions of the CD).

Minty_fresh likes this.
  21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Very odd that the reissue campaign of studio/original live releases is jumping from ‘79 to ‘92.

22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Harvest Moon followed Freedom and Ragged Glory. Right slap in the middle of a purple patch.

23. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

He states in Waging Heavy Peace that Mirror Ball was recorded analog with “their producer” B O’Brien because he was afraid Briggs may alienate Pearl Jam.

0476pearljam likes this.
  24. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

wonder if this will have any NYA or ORS branding on it.

James Bennett likes this.
  25. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

My OCD really hopes so.

Pathfinderpat and qtrules like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.