NAD CD players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DK Pete, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

C568 replaced an Oppo>Rega>Marantz in the Man Cave SS rig spot. Oppo is now upstairs for home theater duty.

The Beave likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

OTOH, NAD did make an excellent cassette deck and below is the best deck it ever made ...

[​IMG]

3. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I had 2 Onkyo 7030 cd players that stopped working. Several months ago I got a Nad 516 bee cd player. It's been working perfectly up until tonight. Now it's making a loud clicking noise when it reads and plays some cds. So loud I can hear it with music playing.I tried cleaning the laser. No luck. I think I'm through with a dedicated cd player. I'll just use my cheap Sony blu ray player.

4. coopmv

You decided not to bother with the warranty repair?

BTW, we had nice cool weather today! :righton:

CharlesS and Jerryb like this.
  5. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Honestly I don't have the patience to pack it up and ship it back and then wait who knows how long to get it back. I'd probably have to pay shipping. I don't think I've ever sent anything back that was still under warranty. Probably not a good habit. Today finally felt like Fall.

6. coopmv

I stopped buying all NAD gears over ten years ago. I do not trust the build quality.

Jerryb likes this.
  7. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Talking of other NAD gear, does anyone still replace the link plugs between pre-out and power-in RCAs with decent cable as they used to for the old 3020? I just checked the plugs for my 326BEE and they look pretty nasty.

8. coopmv

The 326BEE must be relatively recent gear. Most of my NAD gears are vintage stuffs made prior to 2000 and many have aged very well due to much better build quality since they were built in Japan.

9. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I had a 52-something. It was an early aughts model. Sounded good but I ripped my entire collection and gave they player and my CD collection to my brother-in-law.

10. coopmv

Many NAD gears made after 2000 have quality problems because they were all made in you-know-that-country ...

11. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

The only two NAD components I've had break were pre-2000. They both lasted at least 15 years. I wonder what the average is for audio components? The latest components which are about 4 yrs old are without complaint.

12. coopmv

If your pre-2000 NAD components lasted at least 15 years, they are solid proofs the NAD components made then are of much higher quality. I simply cannot believe what you buy today can last you that long unless you pay a bit more money for it ...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. libertycaps

Line Magnetic is Made in China.
    /nuff said

The Beave likes this.
  14. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Sorry, but I fully expect the new equipment to last the same as the old. If anything, the controls seem of a higher quality.

The Beave likes this.
  15. coopmv

Let's wait for ten years ...

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the 326BEE. It's been working fine for the last three years I've owned it except for a very strange phase it went through a few seeks ago. For some unexplainable reason one neight, it would go on "standby" about a minute after I turned it on and stay that way for the next half hour. Then, also for no apparent reason, it started to work normally and has stayed that way since.

17. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

[​IMG]

18. libertycaps

In heavy use for at least 18 months. Beautifully plays my extended dynamic range HDCD archive GoGD discs without a single lil grey man lurking. Might have missed one during Disc 3 of DaP 23, mind.
    Love the fail-safe, user friendly easy operation and room-filling soundstage.
    No desire to find another/upgrade any time soon.

The Beave and ggjjr like this.
  19. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

An amazing sounding and looking NAD CD player- a real high quality product. :righton:

The Beave and lonelysea like this.
  20. coopmv

Some of the NAD S500 CDP's were actually made in Denmark ...

The Beave likes this.
  21. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

I'm fairly certain all the Silver Series was made in Denmark. Whether it was made by Gryphon or not is another topic altogether :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

22. coopmv

Was Gryphon the OEM for NAD in Denmark? I am sure it no longer is since ALL NAD components are now made in China ...

23. coopmv

Oppo is a jack of all trades, as it is also a cellphone maker ...

24. coopmv

25. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

IMO, the most cost effective way to spin CD's is to buy a decent consumer Bluray player with toslink out and run that into a modestly priced DAC with Toslink input. Schitt has some, but there are others.

Vinny123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.