Ditching My LP Protective Outer Sleeves *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After years of using outlets, I ditched them. Running out of shelf space was the initial imperative. But I also enjoyed the new convenience of grabbing LPs and putting them away.

I understand their appeal, but this listener just wants to listen. Ain't going to wrap my listening chair in plastic either!

With the greatest of ease,

Bill

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  2. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Well, if you're planning to ditch the outer sleeves, just don't ever run up on a natural (or unnatural disaster). Several months to a year ago, I salvaged part, small part, of a large collection. I say small part because most of what I saw was irrevocably damaged by water, mud and mold. It was not fun. However, invariably the ones that survived, at the least, had rice paper or poly inner sleeves but trashed covers. The ones that fared the best had not only inner sleeves; but, poly outer sleeves, as well. This was a rarity. All else? Lost. And, there was some great stuff that was lost. About had me in tears.

3. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

This is how I roll. Sometimes, if the covers are dicey, I'll store the record in it's inner sleeve behind the jacket in the outer sleeve so as to prevent any further wear.

4. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I can't stand cover wear, split seams, etc. I buy very few used LPs because of that. I love the look of a pristine cover, so everything's gotta have a protective sleeve.

groovelocked and jon9091 like this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sounds horrible. Sometimes I look at my records and think what if....not a good feeling even when I just think about a hypothetical scenario.

6. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

My LPS are all front facing, not spine facing. So I don't have this problem.

Also, I generally align the outer sleeve opening with the record jacket opening. Unews it is one of ridiculous sleeves where the opening is on top... I'm looking at you, Rolling Stones and Police.

7. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

No bruh, I keep mine in my garage.

[​IMG]

8. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I don’t think we need the protective sleeve. If there is a nuclear holocost or we all die off what do we care about the condition Keith Richards finds our records in?

Slick Willie and Gumboo like this.
  9. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Thanks for sharing.

10. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

I've not been anal about my records so some of my albums do not have outer sleeves. But these days, as I go thru' them, I put a new sleeve on any that doesn't have one. The cost and inconvenience is a small price to pay for keeping the dust, moisture and mold out of my records.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Life on the edge.

12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Will placing an album in a protective cover alone save it from ringwear or do you actually need to keep the record itself outside of the album jacket? (i.e. placing album jacket and record in innerleeve next to each other in a prootective cover)

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Since the 70's I've kept all my records inside the LP cover, with a poly outer cover to protect 'em. No ringwear.

ggergm, anorak2 and Porkpie like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bypassed getting new plastic pvc outters the other day, shopping /weight couldn't accommodate them.
    Next time.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  15. alexpop

I've noticed the brand I get start to crinkle (odd one that is). Think storing them too tight or there not horizontal enough, or manufacturing defect. I take tbe offending one off and replace with new one. Any new double albums get the crinkled one. The thicker 2LP cover usually straightens out the crinkle.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  16. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Well that's fine if you feel that way. 100 years from now, most of the LPs that exist today will probably be in ratty shape anyways just due to natural aging. But do you really want Keith Richards happening upon YOUR old LPs by some freak chance, not having been in a cover, and think, "Someone really did not care about their music".

But since we are on subject of the Stones -

Mick Jagger didn't use "protective sleeves" either. that is why he has eight kids.
    Wait, nevermind, wrong thread.

17. alexpop

Just think Ultravox had hit records due to a member being in a band called PVC2..just to put you in the picture.:)

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

19. alexpop

To product?
    Or other factors ?

20. Classicrock

I added a link. Combination of product and climate I think. I have had some go yellow and wrinkly and not damaged LPs as some have reported. PVC next to disc as in some 12" singles certainly causes clouding.

21. alexpop

Never had a problem myself, could be climate related.

22. Classicrock

Some do wrinkle which for me is a slight worry. Replaced most of mine with the soft polythene sleeves apart from a few in bespoke envelope types. Those look OK. I did find they laminate to some covers which will cause damage unless careful removing and the gatefold variety take up too much extra height and width for storage in crates.

23. alexpop

Hate the soft polythene covers.
    If folks like them, then fine.

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Are you talking about the “blakes sleeves”?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.