The return of Jet

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beholdentonoone, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I only have their debutalbum, which had some cool tracks, and a live DVD. Then I stopped following them because I wasn't too impressed by the singles that followed. But cool they're back together.

3. They were one of the newer bands that I liked a lot. I have the live DVD Family Style and the Get Born, Shine On and Shaka Rock CDs. Saw them live at the Fillmore in San Francisco, must be 10 years ago or so now.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Jet review: Global hitmakers warming up nicely for return to stage

• Martin Boulton

MUSIC
    JET ★★★★
    Gasometer Hotel, Collingwood
    January 31

"Sold out" signs plastered on the pub door, a line of eager fans stretching along Alexandra Parade and the smell of anticipation heavy in the air.
    [​IMG]
    Jet blew off the cobwebs with a set at the Gasometer. Photo: Brian Purnell/Mushroom Creative
    It's been a few years, "six or seven" according to lead singer Nic Cester, since Jet last powered up but they are far, far from rusty.

The once shaggy looking four-piece that broke internationally with debut album Get Born in 2003 (a couple of years after forming) more than blew out any cobwebs on Tuesday with a 90-minute set at Collingwood's Gasometer Hotel.
    [​IMG]
    Jet, pictured at the 2004 Aria Awards, are enjoying each other's company again. Photo: Edwina Pickles
    Cester still has the casual swagger of a rock'n'roll singer, only now he's bearded, while brother Chris on drums has traded his wild man appearance of days gone by for a short back and sides look. Bass player Mark Wilson, too, has clipped his mop of hair and looks more like an elite athlete than a rock'n'roller, while guitarist Cam Muncey, wearing spectacles post-show, maintains the calm presence of a man on a mission.

Indeed, in the years since Jet last threw the switch on their amps, it seems the long period of downtime has served them well. And boy, have they bounced back with style. If there was any doubt the multiple ARIA award winners wrote great songs, just go back and Get Born will clear that up.

Cold Hard Bitch, Get Me Outta Here, Are You Gonna be My Girl? and Look What You've Done, all rolled out during this warm-up for the group's upcoming support shows with Bruce Springsteen, could fit comfortably into a list of the best Australian songs of the last two decades. And no wonder Jet were in such hot demand overseas during their height; they can match it with the very best of the English or American rock bands of that period.

This night they dug deep from their catalogue, delivering to a packed pub more than enough evidence they weren't on stage for the hell of it. "It's great to be back with friends," Cester said after a couple of sparkling opening salvos. The singer has spent considerable time overseas but said he was rapt to be back in Australia, rehearsing for the past week with his bandmates.

His distinctive voice sounds in rude health and when he unleashes that huge wail at the back end of Cold Hard Bitch, it gives you goose bumps. On stage, too, there was a strong sense these guys are enjoying being around each other.

It's a long way from the bust-up that seemingly slammed the door on one of this country's most exciting rock'n'roll bands.

"It seems time has healed those wounds," Chris Cester said last week in an interview with Fairfax Media. He neatly stepped around a question about any new recordings, but said there was some new music and "everyone's just having a really good time, and that's really the bubble we're living in" ahead of supporting the Boss.

Jet play headline shows at Taronga Zoo in Sydney on February 16 and 19 and support Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at AAMI Park, Melbourne on February 2 and 4; Hanging Rock in Mt Macedon on February 11; Hope Estate in the Hunter Valley on February 18; AAMI Stadium in Christchurch on February 21; and Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland on February 25.

Jet review: Global hitmakers warming up nicely for return to stage »

5. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Didn't like the first album at all. Loved "Shine On" and "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" is the best A**kicking rock song in YEARS!

6. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Picked up a promo copy of Get Born based solely on a mention on the back cover of them being picked to open for the Stones. Loved "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" and "Cold Hard Bitch" right out of the box. Never quite warmed up to the second album, and passed on Shaka Rock. I would be up for a new album, if the the reunion gets that far. That first album was cool in an AC/DC-meets-the-Stones sort of way.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Saw these guys at a small club in Canada about 10 years ago and was blown away by their level of energy. This is great news! Hopefully they will add a U.S./Canada tour for 2017.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Anybody heard anything further regarding the Jet reboot?

9. benigby

benigby New Member

Nothing but the frontman, Nic Chester, has a solo album out 3rd November.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Loved their debut but it seemed to me they've said everything they needed to say on it.

MRamble, Kiss73 and RoyalScam like this.
  11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

'Jet' were gonna be the next huge massive band at the time, and then somehow
    they disappeared from the spotlight....
    I bought the 'Get Born' vinyl the first time round, (yes it was released on vinyl!)
    and it was super cheap like 12 dollars! brand new which was about the same
    price as the Cd, which was something I'd never seen. I always buy the record
    over a Cd if I have a choice.
    Would be great to see what they could pull together now for new music.

melstapler likes this.
  12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I still love the debut. I wanted to love the other two...but they're sorely lacking the debut's magic.

MRamble likes this.
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I'm curious, what does everyone think of Nic's new solo material? He's using a separate band for those solo gigs and yet Jet have one gig booked for 2018.

14. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Playing Melbourne Zoo next year. I'm sure other shows will follow.

15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Agreed. Thought debut album was phenomenal. Great songs but built around very retro sounds that was always going to be hard to sustain and remain origional. Shine On was good but your could see the edges fraying at the point. The dark cover said a lot about the mood of the album.It is an album I should play more often though but never feel encouraged to take it off the shelve.

Wasn't aware till years later that there even was a third album. However would like to check out any new stuff including Nic's solo album.

16. The Paul McCartney song from Band On The Run? :biglaugh:

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I thought it was ELO's record label!

(people need to title threads better)

18. Johnny the Fox

Johnny the Fox hot to hustle

19. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

The first two albums were really good, but the third one was a dud. I lost interest at that point.

melstapler likes this.
  20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

First album is solid. The other two you can hear them expanding their sound which didn't serve them well at all, imho.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Does anybody have any info on the best vinyl re-releases of Get Born and Shine On? It looks like there are several now. A MOV release of Get Born, and a 2017 Rhino. Also, a 2 lp of Shine On. How do these compare to the Cds and deluxe editions?
    It also looks like there is a newer release of a 2004 show, Get Born Live. How is that vinyl? How is the performance?
    Thanks!

22. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

They got savaged by critics and it became cool to not like them. Didn't they get a scathing 0/10 review somewhere? I think they might be the last band to ever be killed off by critics, whose opinions are now less relevant than ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.