De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supes

Supes New Member

I knew it was worth a shot.

2. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

It really is such a shame to keep reading of the frustrations caused by this company, for their subscribers and I'm sure others who just want to order a back issue or two (though I can't say I've seen much mention of people posting regarding that... ) There has to have been a big change in the 'structure' of the company at some time because when I used to order the Carry On DVD collection around 10 years back, I didn't have any cause to contact them after subbing - everything was 100% including the freebies. I just sent my postal order off (didn't want to do Direct Debit) and had no concerns at all.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Because they don't want to replace them for most buyers who probably didn't notice. The fact it was repressed suggests that many did and if you complain you will get another copy. Not sure how that works for shop bought copies?

4. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Surely if you can prove you purchased it via a receipt that they will have to replace it out of goodwill?, I would think it would be unreasonable to ask Tesco’s to send them back ( it came out 5th July approx ) . Knowing how difficult it is to get any sense out of them via email ( ie, no straight direct answers ) I doubt this is going to be an easy process.
    Maybe a case of having to pay again to save all the hassle of dealing with customer dis services !. For some reason I’ve kept all my Tesco’s Receipts for the points which I’ve never taken up.

5. Are you sure it was repressed? My guess is that the replacements will just be the regular 2012 pressings. I am not sure why they recut the vinyl for this issue anyway as Sean Magee said there is no difference.

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Well, this morning DeAgostini did actually come through for me and a new copy of AHDN is en route.

7. seltaeb69

seltaeb69 Member

Likewise, DeAgostini customer service had no problems sending another AHDN out, as with my copy of Live At The BBC which arrived last Friday in a shocking state. Record two looks as though it had been packed in a hurry, the sleeve had been rammed in so hard it bent up the corner which looks like a dogs dinner, the record suffered too with a large scuff and ghosting all over. There quality control leaves little to be desired. I was not impressed when it arrived!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Classicrock

Just speculation but they may have exhausted the life of existing mothers and stampers. The 2012 was a large run. That is why albums were continually re-cut in the past when sold in hundreds of thousands and more. He did use approx same EQ for cutting apart from the errors. Until someone gets a replacement we won't know if Magee has done another recut to correct the AHDN error. Also this was done by a different pressing plant (MPO) and may not have access to Optimal's metalwork (if useable), so requiring new lacquers.

Billy Budapest and OneStepBeyond like this.
  9. fabwill

fabwill Forum Resident

Speculation on my part, but the initial (faulty) run of AHDN may have run out and replacements may be updated pressings intended for Spain, Japan etc. De Agostini is selling this series across Europe and now Japan. UK was only the 2nd market that it was sold in. The incremental roll-out across the globe suggests De Agostini wouldn't have pressed up enough for every single country at outset.

10. Classicrock

Why would you pay upfront for pressings intended for sale at least 12 months ahead? They know about the problem and so does Mr Magee so would expect a revision. A single lacquer will only be good for producing metalwork for a finite number of discs in any case. This is a very large pressing run by modern standards.

11. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Why don’t De Agostini be up front with their customers and put it on the website that they are replacing these for everyone who has bought the botched copy?, I really am peeved with the way this seems so underhand!. No official statement or nothing, this really is not at all how it should be done. Be upfront is all I am asking. I’m thinking they won’t say anything about it ?, I have emailed them twice about replacement and nothing has come of it, no reply or anything?.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  12. OneStepBeyond

Just talking to a mate... saying to him something that hadn't occurred to me before and in light of the AHDN question... I wonder why didn't SM press the DeAgostini LPs from the 2012 plates in the first place and they just add the new labels, sleeves etc? All I can think is it's to do with Calderstone Productions rights to the masters - they're not mentioned on the hype stickers (or elsewhere I can see) of the few 2012s I have but are on the 2014 monos. As I'm reading that this Universal subsidiary gained ownership of EMI and administration of the Beatles recordings some time in 2012, it must be just after the remastered stereo LPs were released. Others will know more details than me... probably people looking at this post. As I say, this is just guesswork on my part!

I also said he could do with phoning him and telling them they need to send him the 'corrected' AHDN LP because I doubt they will offer them to subbers unless prompted to. Although, I've been present when he's spoken to them, numerous times... :sigh:

13. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Just an update After getting no where via email, I have phoned De Agostini and they are sending me a replacement of AHDN , I am not a subscriber and they have told me they will be sending one out ( hopefully I will get a copy and I’ll let you know ). I informed them that I get mine at Tesco’s so everyone should phone requesting a replacement I guess.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

What address are you writing to? Although it took two emails to sort I had a reply immediately and a result this morning.

15. OneStepBeyond

Wondering if we need the receipt... and of course if we get to keep the 'collectible' faulty one (?) :shh:

16. OneStepBeyond

Although I think your first point sounds about right, compared to how many bought Beatle LPs back in the day, now must be very few. Of course, we don't know for sure how many pressings were made before a recut (it's been widely estimated in threads I've read as I'm sure you've also seen.) And we're still seeing the 2012 stereos for sale online and in HMV etc. :)

As to the second point - access to the masters is something that hadn't crossed my mind, even though the topic came up in relation to (I'm almost certain not the Fab Four) and that seems very likely to be why - to my mind.

17. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

They didn’t ask me for one, I requested two copies of the re press as I purchased two of them!. They have sent me a customer number etc but put the wrong house number on it !. Is it Jacklin services who run this operation ?, as that’s who sent me a reply?.

Also I’ve always emailed as follows

[email protected]

Yes it also says Jacklin Enterprises at the foot of the email

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  18. OneStepBeyond

Cheers Wayne! :righton:

Google led me to find this; "Jacklin Enterprises and De Agostini have had a long and successful partnership which began with the launch of the highly successful “Carry On Collection”. " From this link - Jacklin Enterprises

19. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I always email these

[email protected]

But for some reason I always get the email sent back as directed to this address

[email protected]

Which isn’t what i use?, or type for that matter. Who do you email please ?.

20. OneStepBeyond

I just emailed about getting a replacement for AHDN - AND to ask about them selling the LP boxes on their site - but got an automated replay from the one I sent to to, which is the top one.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your email.

Did you know you can view your account online here?

In addition to this, most of our frequently asked questions are available here.

We will respond to your email as quickly as we possibly can and thank you very much for your patience.

Yours Sincerely

The Publisher

----------
    etc...

21. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

You
    To be honest best phoning them, far easier.

22. OneStepBeyond

I'll see if they get back by Monday and if not, that's what I thought I'd do. :thumbsup:

23. misterP

misterP Well-Known Member

I’ve Direct Messaged them through Twitter once or twice and they’ve responded pretty quickly. I might try that route to replace my AHDN...

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

My BBC Record Three is exactly the same.

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

No need for receipt, no questions asked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.