Was 1974 Really That Bad Of A Year For Pop Music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilbert Matthews, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I enjoyed 74... matter of fact the whole decade...yes, even disco.

2. Michael

it all boils down to what floats your boat...

3. Michael

4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Haven't heard that for decades, but I enjoyed it when it was on the radio. Never found out what it was though. That's got to be one of the last records to feature a faux-sitar sounding guitar effect. A little surprising -- thought they had disappeared by about 1972 or so.

5. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

I think it was a transitional time in popular music and culture - the early seventies seemed populated with remnants from the sixties as well as new players, and later in the decade there seemed to be a new wave of music, with far less people from the sixties. Not quite a vacuum, but transitional enough to allow more entrants on the playlists that otherwise might not have as big as look as they did. Also the album came into focus and long pieces which where not released as singles were commonplace.

I had a look at my iTunes library - I've over 1300 "A" sides from the decade - there's a steady decline from 1970 to 1975, then a steady but smaller incline from here on in to the end of the decade. I've 111 "A" sides from 1974, well above the low of 84 from 1975, but far less than the almost 200 at the beginning of the decade.

You're other question (favourite of 1974) - I suspect it's "I Shot the Sheriff" by Mr. Clapton - fresh and sunny both then and now.

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I was way into music as a toddler, too. When I was in college, I mostly thought I would never want to hear again a lot of the stuff I grew up liking. Much to my now-regret, I gave away hundreds of albums and singles because I simply thought I was too sophisticated to ever want to listen to the pop music of my youth again. Fast forward about 10 years and not only did I want to listen to Three Dog Night (just one example) again, but some of what I had embraced in college was now in the group of stuff that I no longer wanted to hear.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, there are undeniably many exceptions to the rule. I mean, the Beatles are my favorite band and I was 3 when they broke up, so I have zero memory of them when they were current!

Still, if I look at my 10 favorite artists now, I liked pretty much all of them by the time I was 18! :)

Archtop likes this.
  8. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I did a lot of record buying in 1974. Some of it may not have been records recorded in that year, but there was a lot of good stuff that came out. It was a great year for Prog Rock if you are into that genre. Perhaps not as good as say 1969, but not bad either Here are among some of my personal favorites which are still in my collection today.

Steeley Dan = Pretzel Logic
    Joni Mitchell = Court and Spark
    Lou Reed=Rock and Roll Animal
    Sundown = Gordon Lightfoot
    Aerosmith = Get Your Wings
    Eagles = On the Border
    Kansas = Kansas
    Lynyrd Skynyrd = Second Helping
    Robin Trower = Bridge of Sighs
    Blue Oyster Cult = Secret Treaties
    David Bowie = Diamond Dogs
    Be-Bop Deluxe = Axe Victim
    Neil Young = On the Beach
    Eric Clapton=461 Ocean Blvd
    Little Feat = Feats Don't Fail Me Now
    Gentle Giant = Power and the Glory
    Jethro Tull = War Child
    Pretty Things = Silk Torpedo
    Kraftwerk = Autoban
    Genesis = The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    George Harrison = Dark Horse

1974 was a transition year in my opinion. It was when the previous era was closing and setting up for 1975 through 1977 which I consider the last pop/rock era before punk and new wave came on the scene.

footlooseman likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That might be one of the differences between many others and myself: I never turned my back on the music of my youth.

10. Grant

I suppose that if you didn't buy buy singles and listen to them on the radio, you didn't connect with pop music, and you may think worse of it than someone who did. Late 1974 was transitional, not for punk, but for the infusion of funk and disco into the pop charts and top 40 radio.

11. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I guess some have been mentioned or discussed, but you got me thinking.. :)

Kraftwerk: Autobahn
    Nina Simone: It is Finished
    Neil Young: On the Beach
    Brian Eno: Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
    John Cale: Fear
    Lou Reed: Rock and Roll Animal
    Popol Vuh: Einsjäger und Siebenjäger
    David Bowie: Diamond Dogs
    Sparks: Kimono My House
    Harmonia: Musik von Harmonia
    Stevie Wonder: Fullfillingness’ First Finale

footlooseman likes this.
  12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Of course there was good stuff released in '74 just like any other year. Still, there was bad, too. Really, really bad.

13. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

It sure was a whole lot worse then the best ever year 1973.

14. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Not me.
    Music during my college years, 1980-84, seemed much weaker, with the exception of the early 80s, which still sounded a lot like the previous decade.
    (Same with 1960-63 sounding a lot like the late 50s.)

I dislike much of the "MTV 80s," which ruined popular music, imo.
    Not all of it was bad, of course, and there were many good songs throughout the decade, but most of it wasn't of interest to me (like Madonna, Michael Jackson, rap, heavy metal).

"My era" is mid-late 70s. Though I have many songs from that era, I quickly get bored & return to my 60s- early 70s collection.

Before I had an MP3 player, I made CDs with random songs from certain eras (late 50s, early 60s, mid-60s, late 60s, early 70s, mid-70s, etc).
    The latter 70s were less interesting, overall, with the exception of songs like Baker Street, Fool (If You Think it's Over), etc.)

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I like these, the others I haven't heard. "Sundown" and "The Air That I Breathe" are really great songs.

16. Grant

Of course, "bad" is in the mind or the person. I happen to like "Billy, Don't Be A Hero", but many others don't. It's not a bad song at all. It just isn't what some people enjoy and I understand why they don't enjoy it. It sounds like a kid's song. But, so did "Yellow Submarine" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That's what an opinion is - in the mind of the person giving it. If you like the song you mentioned well, that's great for you. I happen to hate it but really, someone else's opinion shouldn't take away your enjoyment of whatever you like. And it being a kid's song has nothing to do with why I hate it. I mean, I have no problem with The Candy Man, Sugar Sugar or Playground In My Mind and they're all kid songs. People have derided songs I like many times but I simply don't base my feelings on what others say about things. :shrug:

18. Grant

I don't think Sugar Sugar is a kid's song.

19. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Cocaine had started to take hold. It was the beginning of a very shallow age.

20. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I was a junior in high school in 1974. Whenever a certain teacher walked into the classroom, students would whisper, "The Bitch Is Back." Many office referrals were due to this song.

21. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Exceptions to the rule: Eno, Cale & Mitchell. In other words the off-the-scale creative geniuses of the mid 70s. Sorry David Bowie you just did too much snow!

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You think "I Want to Hold Your Hand" is a "kid's song" but "Sugar Sugar" isn't? :wtf:

Manapua likes this.
  23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I love Redbone in general. Very underrated band. They should have been huge. If you dig "Come and Get Your Love" you should definitely check out their discography. Start with the self-titled debut.

Grant likes this.
  24. Grant

Yup.

25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

You haven't heard Al Green's version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.