Obscure commercials by bands you love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fr in sc, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The "SAY WHAAAAAAT?" is priceless :)

2. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Joe Simon.

3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Is it Frank's? Thanks! Geez,why spend all of that dough on such a pricey generic jingle,when all they had to do was show a cheesesteak wid,a pack of Tasykake Butterscotch Krimpets and a can of Frank's Black Cherry Wishniack(cross promotion) with no sound except munching. A diabetic's dream! My heart doctor's nightmare!

numer9 likes this.
  4. jimac51

While I never saw the Monkees on prime time(too much homework,even during summer school),I think the Donovan ads mentioned were for Love Cosmetics after the Monkees originally aired. Love used Wear Your Love Like Heaven. Love Cosmetics came from those wonderful folk who made Contac allergy capsules-strange,since someone like me would have a sneezing fit and need a Contac over their smelly Love crap .

5. jimac51

Luden's was big part of the Reading,Pa. My wife's family worked at various candy manufacturers in Reading. Stories of how the cough drops were packaged decades ago were told. Stay at home Mom's did piece work filling the boxes. Drops and cardboard boxes were delivered (Mon.,Wed. Fri.?) in wooden crates and the women filled the boxes with 11-not 10 or 12,but 11-drops and closed them up. Until Hershey bought them out and ruined the company(5th Avenue candy bars actually were made on 5th St.,but the name referred to swanky NYC,today the home of Drumpf Tower) ,the town smelled of whatever was coming from the factory. The first time I was there,I distinctly remember marshmallow circus peanuts permeating the air. Nauseating. But the days when the cherry cough drops were being made-sublime!

vince likes this.
  6. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I recall hearing Donovan's "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" used in a commercial for cosmetics. I don't remember the product, maybe it was Yardley. I probably heard the song via the commercial more often than on the radio when it was on the charts.

BTW: I have learned of several "modern era" artists because of their works being used in commercials. Groups like 'of Montreal' who have had several of their songs used on nationally televised commercials.

Then there is THIS:

This is the first commercial that got me to look into "modern era" groups. I still have not found what this song is, I did find out the groups name: Mojave 3.

7. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Here's of Montreal:

BTW: I got "The Sunlandic Twins" CD because of this commercial. "Everyday Feels Like Sunday" was on the bonus EP that came with the album. In the commercial you hear instrumental music, on the EP they sing during every part of the song! So the mix used in the commercial is unique.

8. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

After rereading the title of this thread, my 2 examples above are "obscure bands on commercials you like" :laugh:

9. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

10. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I found the source of the Hummer commercial: "Bluebird of Happiness"

11. halfjapanese

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

14. jimac51

Geez,they got the bear's name wrong,as many have over the decades. He is Smokey Bear,NOT Smokey THE Bear. True,if he shows up in Chicago,he is dubbed as one of "Da Bears".

halfjapanese likes this.
  15. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Cocteau Twins did music (two different songs) for Fruitopia commercials.
    Here's the first one:

16. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

...and the 2nd one:

17. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

And a rare different version

falconerone likes this.
  19. halfjapanese

We sang that as kids and the lyrics were always, "Smokey THE bear, Smokey the bear..."
    ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT WILDFIRES. - Resources

OT: We sang another one about Sparky the Fire Dog, too.

20. John54

John54 Senior Member

About ten years ago the Rolling Stones had a song in a car commercial. I found out which song, but I've forgotten. I'd guess the song would have originally come out around 1966. Can anyone recall which song it was?

21. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

22. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Freaky (and somewhat scary for the child that i was then) car commercial with Grace Jones.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  23. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

24. falconerone

falconerone Forum Resident

I see your David Bowie and raise it by one Peter Murphy(of Bauhaus)

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Does anyone remember seeing Davy Jones in a commercial for (I think) Charleston Chew or possibly Clark Bar candy sometime around 1970? My memory is foggy (I was only 6), but I'm pretty sure it was run during the Saturday morning re-runs of The Monkees on CBS-TV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.