Favorite Deep Purple live albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nightbreed, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Made In Japan...put the damn thing on bleed.

petercl likes this.
  2. Made in Japan; simply my fav live album of all time. I only have one vinyl copy but it gets an outing at least once a month. I only play it when no one else is at home. Its got to be played loud!!!

petercl likes this.
  3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Made In Japan and Made In Europe. The originals and still the best.

With MKIII, Ritchie's tone was very aggressive/too harsh and not always pleasant sounding (and that diminishes some other great performances for me), but Martin Birch did a great job on 'Europe' by getting his tone to sound sweet and smooth...so that's why I love it, despite the tape loop and edits. Ritchie's Blues section is just perfect..pity it only lasts for 30 seconds :mad:, but it's the standard by which all others are judged imo.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Musicman1963 and Spitfire like this.
  4. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Live in Japan, disc 3.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Come Hell Or High Water & Archive Alive !!

6. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

CD or Vinyl?

8. Matt Barone

Matt Barone Forum Resident

I understand your BluesOvertookMe, for me the raw small audience for In Concert 1972 turns me on because some of those songs never made it to the Great Great Made in Japan and were never played live for the longest time.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

If you want to get it cheap, the original WB CD. If you want to spend some coin, get the DCC. :D

They both sound great.

But somehow you need to get the encores too. But no good (sounding) solution for that.

jamesmaya likes this.
  10. pottsbotts

pottsbotts New Member

It was big in Japan, too!

11. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Made in Japan is the best one but these three are also brilliant...

Live in London '74
    In Concert '72
    Made in Europe

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Made in Japan, Made in Europe, Phoenix rising, are the ones I have on CD.. and some boots....
    I think anything else I have is on video/dvd.Cal jam, 72, playboy performance etc./boots...
    If I have a film of a performance, often tend not to but the cd. Mostly feel like I have the bases covered......Though I wish I had some shows with WDWTWA material... though I don't even know if they ever performed the stuff. Wouldn't mind more of the underrated MK 1.

My go to albums are
    MIJ
    MIE

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  13. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

it's easy (and well deserved : ) to highlight the classic era live albums. MIJ is of course a giant. I'm one of those who like Come Hell...too. The unedited Stuttgart gig which came out some years ago is brilliant. (although the mix is sadly not as good as Come Hell...)

I also really like some of the Morse era live albums. And while Gillan is far from the singer he used to be, if you can accept this fact of life, some of the recent live albums are really good. Tokyo 2014 and Hellfest 2017 are great performances!

Use_Your_Koala and Carserguev like this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Was that(CHOHW) an album? I forgot about that, have an old VHS of that and never thought it was very good...I remember all the bitching in the documentary part, unbelievable that got released.

15. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Yes.
    Come Hell or High Water - Wikipedia

The album is primarily taken from the Stuttgart show, and the mix is imo brilliant. Too bad it's heavily edited. The uncut version that came out way later (Live in Europe 1993 - Wikipedia ), is amazing. Too bad it's not mixed to perfection....

The video "Come Hell..." is taken from Birmingham, including the drama and interviews.

One the other hand, the box set linked above also features the uncut Birmingham show. The edited video makes it, believe it or not, appear better than the performance captured on audio :)
    The intro to Highway Star goes on forever without Ritchie....

Carserguev and BDC like this.
  16. james1967

james1967 Forum Resident

I have the boxset and never really listened to the NEC show.
    Didn't realise that it was the *full* performance.
    And I was there that night on my 26th birthday , do have the DVD of that as well.

BDC likes this.
  17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

OK thanks for that, the band didn't do themselves any favors putting out that Birmingham material.
    I can actually believe the audio is worse because of all the editing in the video. The unbelievable part is that they would allow stuff like that released. May have to give that Stuttgart material a whirl. I've sort of written off 90s DP with Blackmore. I haven't seen the "Come hell" video in at least 15 years, but I do remember the "HS" intro dragging on a bit even on that.
    Guess that puts you at about 50...being 52 myself...
    Wow I've never been to a show where a big time band self destructed on stage..
    I can understand why you haven't listened. I hope you've been to a better show.
    The one I saw on the PS tour was excellent and I wish I had audio or video of it.

james1967 likes this.
  18. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Vinyl and the 'Porky' Pressing by some distance. Sonically fantastic when played on a decent TT and kicks CD (including the DCC) version into touch). MIJ is my favourite live album, but for me it does not work on CD.

dvcarrick likes this.
  19. james1967

james1967 Forum Resident

I'm 50 , saw them in 1996 and 1998 very good shows and then in 2002 & 2007 not as good as the previous two , but still a good band though.
    First time I saw the band was 1987.

BDC likes this.
  20. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Guess that put you at about 50...being 52
    Wow I've never been to a show where a big time band self destructed on stage..
    I can understand why you haven't listened. I hope you've been to a better show.
    The one I saw on
    If I'm ever critical about Purple after 96, it about Ian when he goes for high notes, but I still like his baritone. That said, Morse trading solos with Lord or Airey is in itself worth the price of admission. I've never seen either of those lineups live outside Youtube stuff, but I love how they dig into the catalog with stuff like "Our lady". I've mostly tire of the staples. If I still drank though I'd have my fist in the air for em'.

21. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I am thinking to buy some vinyl versions of recent concerts (Infinity Live, Waken, etc). How do they sound? (I can access performance via streaming, but my recent vinyl purchases were hit or miss quality wise).

22. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

Absolutely agree have a soft spot for made in Europe can remember going to buy it with my mum must have been 1977 and getting the sleeve wet because it rained on the way home.Incredible sounding record.

dbz likes this.
  23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Concerto For Group and Orchestra because it was basically the grand finale to their classical elements before they decided to focus almost exclusively on hard rock.
    In Concert for the 18-minute "Wring That Neck" and the 22-minute "Space Truckin' " (and there's even another song squeezed onto the same side with it, giving us real bang for our buck).

24. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Well, MIJ. But I love the Paris concert from 75.

jay.dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.