The Rolling Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request: 50th Anniversary Special Audiophile Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Jul 7, 2017.

1. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

OK we get it...you don't like it. We do.

2. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

No. Songs are better.

3. lapepalz

lapepalz Forum Resident

I have old London west germany & Japanese version new sacd 2002
    Do you think I need this new released ?

4. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

Soundwise, no.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

No.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

New to this thread, hope this hasn't been asked, but here goes:

Any opinions on what song <s> benefit most being heard in mono from the album?

Thanks in advance!

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

To me it is Gomper. It sounds less cluttered to me in mono.

Bob M. likes this.
  8. john lockland

john lockland Forum Resident

2000 light years from home in mono really makes my day

Bob M. likes this.
  9. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

I have received my copy today, can't wait return from work and give it a whirl.

Sorry not got time to go back through the thread but what is the LP sound quality like. Thanks in advance.

10. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

look, nobody is more devoted to the Fabs than I, but this is truly the one Stones album where the songs in general just have more depth!
    While the lyrics of the Stones album deal with very gritty reality as well as deep appreciation of the beauty surrounding us, Pepper for me retreats from the fabulous Revolver in that Revolver had super concise lyrics and by and large, especially Paul and largely John, on Pepper sing about a lot of hoo ha not really connected to serious depth IMO with a few exceptions....so let me discuss them.
    Day In The Life - obvious masterwork, and Mick and Keith are there for the orchestra build up:)
    Within You Without You - George has the most psychedelic song on the record hands down, world music expanded from the earlier Revolver and Rubber Soul hybrid of Sitar integrated into rock music.
    She's Leaving Home - like George, this is the next step from Revolver's Elenor Rigby with similar feelings of alienation and loss that many could relate to.

Now you can mention Lucy because it's psych and it rocks, but for me the lyrics for the rest of this album go so abstract and lightweight that for me it's a real come down from Revolver. Musically there's progression all over the place but there's also a lightweight vaudeville atmosphere that has always put me off.

Magical Mystery Tour was a more psych record and is more comparable and contemporary to Majesties even with its convoluted history and compilation factor being really just an ep with singles attached.

jumpinjulian and mbrownp1 like this.
  11. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I think the essay featured in the booklet is extremely well written. Among many other good things, it does a nice job of validating the place of the album within the Rolling Stones' canon. Effectively debunks the erroneous idea that it's simply a failed Sgt. Pepper clone. I think it was worth the 20 minutes it took to read.

dkmonroe, signothetimes53 and Carl80 like this.
  12. Sgt Pepper

Been listening to the Mono LP.........wow, it is sublime.

Bob M. and Carl80 like this.
  13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I gave the stereo LP a spin before, does sound great. This is one of my favourite LP sets now, love the way it folds out, looks great.

Bob M., mbrownp1 and Sgt Pepper like this.
  14. Sgt Pepper

I am shocked also and agree with you Carl, the Stereo version is superb also.

Bob M., Carl80 and mbrownp1 like this.
  15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

And so, this thread has now turned into yet another "Beatles vs. Stones" debate...
    How about trying something new?
    Please, no more!
    I beg ya all!
    After 50 years we should know better.
    Than ol' horse has been beaten to death...

16. Sgt Pepper

Man the SQ on this just seems to get better with every play of the discs.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I copied the vinyl to 7.5 ips reel, mono one side stereo the other...it's amazing, and I don't have to wear out the vinyl;) ...very nice pressings and mastering.

18. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

"The Lantern" also is very different in mono. It has been frequently noted that there's one less (or is it one more?) Big Ben bell chime at the beginning, but the song itself is mixed quite differently than the stereo as it pertains to the lead guitar part (not sure if it is Keith or Brian). In the stereo, the guitar is clearly and prominently heard in the right channel. In the mono, the guitar is often nearly buried in the mix. Which is better, the mono or stereo? I think it will vary with the listener. I like them both, though my preference is the stereo.

19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I would say mono but both are nice.....but the mono has centered drums which is more powerful and there's not as much silence in the right channel overall:)

signothetimes53 likes this.
  20. Rara

Rara New Member

Hi everyone!

My apologies in advance in case this seems like a stupid question. I've been a huge Rolling Stones fan since my childhood but I'm rather new to collecting vinyls.

I notice some people mentioning and comparing their copy numbers #. I've located #61 in a store nearby and I'm thinking to get it. How big of a deal is the # to collectors?

Thank you!

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'd think anything under #100 is going to have some perceived collectible value due to the low number. I'd grab that one if I were you, even though generally I'm not concerned with numbers.

However generally I think numbered units tend to be less valuable today than in the past. Something from the 60's that was brand spankin' original and a huge success and had a limited numbered press run (like the original White Album) is collector gold. Just reissuing a classic album and numbering it is a common thing today and not nearly as special. If there's 10 million people who want an album and only 20,000 copies are numbered, that's a big deal. If there's a 20,000 press run of a reissue that only 10,000 people are interested in, that's not much of a big deal.

Rara likes this.
  22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Sing This All Together. The bass drum is mixed much louder and really moves the song along.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Both mixes are really good. For all its desultory (and undeserved) reputation, TSMR is really a great sounding LP in most any version. Considering the chaos that it was recorded in, and the fact that it was the Stones' first self-produced album, it's kind of a minor miracle.

Shawn and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  24. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I still haven't got around to the SACDs yet...but I just listened to both mixes on vinyl again today. I can't get over how great that vinyl sounds.

25. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Totally agree! I listened to the stereo LP today on my main system through the speakers after listening to my rip of Redbook layer of the mono SACD on Fiio with in-ears and the LP sounded amazing. Nicky Hopkins was such a musical master, his work with my favorite bands, Stones and Who, is magical. I agreed with many that Majesties seemed an odd choice for a deluxe treatment but not after today, reading the booklet and enjoying the LP. Mono gets a spin tomorrow. Essay in booklet really good perspective of it's place in their 60s albums. I have a framed original cover but I like this box design. Still hate SACDs stuffed in cardboard pockets though, sacrilege!