Who bought Frampton Comes Alive?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frcnorth

frcnorth Forum Resident

As a teenager in the 70's I owned it-still do.

Along with the 25th anniversary CD
    And the SACD
    And the DVD-Audio

Saw the tour after the album came out at the Santa Barbara County Bowl.
    Then saw him 35 years later, also at the SB County Bowl-better then.
    A company called Abbey Road Live recorded these 35th anniversary shows. They weren't recording in Santa Barbara. I did buy the one that was recorded at the Warfield in San Francisco.

So, 5 versions total.

One of my favorite albums ever.

danielbravo and John Adam like this.
  2. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I was a junior in high school when the album came out. Never bought it then, never bought it anytime later in life, never even slightly ever considered buying it.

Frampton does deserve props for doing a truly excellent job when he toured with Ringo as one of the All-Starrs. I was very pleasantly surprised.

3. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I had to vote that I never owned it. However, my brother had it, and we were both teenagers. I've heard it many times. Although I've never felt compelled to buy a copy, I think it's a good album. It's too bad that Frampton couldn't sustain his success.

4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I don't know how to vote. :) When this came out, I hated it. I was a teenager then. All the pop drivel that was mass-played on FM radio back then.

Then, I got into Humble Pie. And while the sappy songs are still the sappy songs, I began to appreciate the actual guitar playing on it. Now, Humble Pie with Peter Frampton is one of my favorite eras of any band. Magical stuff. I think without Steve Marriott, he lost some of the magic, but Frampton Comes Alive is still a great record (just not as good as Rockin' the Fillmore). Funny, how opinions can change over time. :D

5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Who DIDN'T buy it might be the easier question?

6. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Bought it when it came out......haven't played it since.....it bores me.....not very interesting to me.

7. spinout66

spinout66 Member

Great pop music...I think the lp has aged well........Saw him as an opening act for rod stewart in 197? and he almost stole the show..............

danielbravo likes this.
  8. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Bought it when it came out, played it a few times, tired of it quickly, forgot about it, gave it away within a year.

9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I bought it for the first time (on wax) from the previously enjoyed bins a few years ago.

10. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Saw the 4th All-Starr band at the old Pine Knob in 97 (I think). Was not expecting much, but it was a great concert. Ringo/Frampton/Gary Brooker/Simon Kirke/Jack Bruce. Had enough mix of songs from everyone to make it truly enjoyable.

seed_drill and applebonkerz like this.
  11. kenwood61

kenwood61 Forum Resident

This album is a great example of how people's musical taste vary ... especially for anyone that was in high school when this came out. I think it would be more interesting to hear from those who didn't get into Frampton to know what kind of music they did get into. That might shed more light on those responses. I think that anyone who got into Boston, Styx, Steve Miller, and similar bands should have at least liked Frampton Comes Alive! ... unless they just got tired of it. But if memory serves me correctly, I didn't hear Frampton overplayed where I grew up in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area with stations like KZEW and Q102 ... there was so much good music back in that time period. In my 50's, I've discovered rock from the late 60's through early 80's that somehow wasn't on my radar back then. But I still listen to music that shaped my life in the 70's and 80's ... along with jazz, folk, R&B, celtic ... good music is timeless.

thestereofan likes this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got the 200 gm Anadisc version.

13. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I didnt like MOST of Frampton Comes Alive but I loved Rockin the Fillmore.

That was probably a different experience than most... I just found Frampton Comes Alive too girlie or something. Jumpin Jack Flash was awful as well, but, there was some good stuff on it too.. and the usual from him, some stellar guitar playing.

t-man 54 and ssmith3046 like this.
  14. Clayton93

Clayton93 Forum Resident

Bought it when it came out and still own it, play about once a year now.

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, Myers reused that joke from an SNL bit, only it was Rumors. "Sent to everyone in the mail, like samples of Tide." Then U2 went and literally did something like that.

16. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Except that no one wanted what U2 was offering...:laugh:

Fullbug likes this.
  17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I got spoiled by his time in Humble Pie too.

t-man 54 and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Teenager in the '70s, never owned or bought a copy until about 2004 when I bought the SACD release.

19. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Was only around 6 when it came out - but my sister who was around 13 or so had it on 8 track. I remember listening to it quite a bit.

20. i bought it, got it home and then wondered what all the fuss was about. Only played it 3 or 4 times. Gave it to a mate who reckoned it was the best ever album. What do i know!!

21. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

It was everywhere. It was in your hair. It just wasn't necessary to actually own it.

recklessczar likes this.
  22. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Was a teenager in the late 80s / early 90s and bought the Deluxe edition in 2004. Last year I bought the 97 remaster, which sounds better, but contains less tracks. I kept both.

23. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I think a lot of people bought it, I don't remember a house where I was gone and it was not in the drawer of the records. It was one of the first albums I listened completelly as a child. My sister loved that album. That vinyl ended up in my collection when she married. I bought it a lot later on cd.
    I listen occasionally ... I still enjoy it

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  24. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

Teenager in the 60s & 70s. Bought it, loved it & was there for the few songs were recorded at Commack Arena on Long Island. Also know as "The End of Frampton" IMO.

25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I honestly had zero interest in Frampton at all, and switched stations when this stuff came on. Still do. Turned 18 in 74

Fullbug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.