McCartney 2-why it is such a gem

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The normal songs - good, the electronic sh-t, bad

iloveguitars and Bullis like this.
  2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

High school teenage me: wtf is this s***? Oh, One of these Days is great!!

College me: I love this album!!

Current me: let's listen to the 10 minute b -sides after!!!

3. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Unique venture for Paul.

Can't say I'm all that wild for the album, but "Waterfalls" is one of my favorite McCartney tunes.

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Similar to McCartney I, it distills and focuses Paul's unique musical personality. Him playing all the instruments is a big part of that; another part is that on both albums he is just pleasing himself, exploring sounds and learning techniques with recording equipment, mostly in his home studio. I like Paul's experimental music and many electronic music artists as well. Mc II was the opportunity he to explore the use of synthesizers and electronic music, because he was interested in the possibilities. My ideal musical artist is both experimental/adventurous with sounds as well as being tuneful and melodic. Paul qualifies in spades on this album, which is why it's one of my favorite Paul albums - in the top 5.

5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I'm having a bit of a McCartney II phase at the moment. It's almost like he's trying to sabotage himself on this album, but he's so good he can't. Like McCartney I, this album grows better and better with age.

6. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

All these years and I still can't connect with the LP.
    Have accepted it's a part of the Macca cannon, have the
    promo 12'' single, etc.. they remain in place.

7. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I don't listen to it that often. it baffles me that so many people mention "coming up" as the standout track. the best song to my ears is "on the way," which sounds like a great lost beatles tune from the white album or the get back sessions.

Mother, Paul H, foxylady and 2 others like this.
  8. MarcTheMusician

MarcTheMusician Forum Heretic and Beatle Lover

I came here to suggest these records as well. I feel Paul works best when he's in control, generally. He makes music the way he wants to. I think McCartney I and II are marvels for what they are: therapy to the author. Whereas John used his songwriter skills to work thru his issues, Paul used the process of recording itself, as well as his uncanny knack for composing Mozart-Esque melodies.

Equally good, in my opinion, are The Fireman records, and even his album New. Electric Arguments is my personal favorite album of his.

Mr. Explorer, linclink and soundQman like this.
  9. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

In my opinion, this would have been so much more acceptable if it had only ever been a bootleg, like Cold Cuts. Fans would have sought it out and treasured it, and the general public would have got along quite happily without it. Coming Up could still have been a single, with Summer Day Song on the flip, and so could Waterfalls with Temporary Secretary on the B-side. The rest fits nicely into the netherworld of long lost albums. I'm sorry, but On The Way sounds like one of his knocked off off-the-cuff recordings, with no thought for composition or effort with the lyrics, the reason I can't bear things like Really Love You, Looking For You, Rinse The Raindrops, etc

Horse Brunsby likes this.
  10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Probably my least-favorite McCartney album (Press to Play comes close, but I do like "Only Love Remains" and "Angry"). Whatever others see in it is still over my head!

Ryan Lux and iloveguitars like this.
  11. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Sir Paul is my musical-idol and I remember when II was released in '80 (I was 16). Back then and still now, I think its good overall,
    I can enjoy listening to it every so often, but if I were to put it alongside "I" (McCartney) the first solo lp from '70, well... I have to say the
    first one from ten years earlier, just as the Beatles split-up is better and certainly has an outstanding track, and probably his very best solo
    song (..'Amazed').

12. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

ps: another way to think of it: comparing McCartney II to McCartney (I) to me is like comparing the Stones 'Emotional Rescue' ( I like it now and then ) to 'Exile on Main St' (lo-fi masterpiece, Stones at their peak). Except I think Paul's peak was '76 during the 'Wings Over America tour'.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  13. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

I love it in my opinion the one record of Paul's you hear today with Hot Chip, LCD Soundsystem & co....

Bemagnus likes this.
  14. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I bought it, hated it, traded it away. When you act like Temporary Secretary is a good song, there goes your credibility with me. That is awful, one of the worst songs by a major artist ever recorded.

15. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Emotional Rescue is a pretty good record, no comparison at all to McCartney II.

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Good to know:)

17. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

It has a warm place in my heart. I was 15 in 1980, and just getting into the Beatles, let alone the solo stuff that came afterward. I only had a few Beatles albums at that point, and the only solo releases I had were "McCartney" and John's "Rock and Roll". "McCartney II" was like a breath of fresh air for me. Modern and different. I still love it.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great album cover.
    Digital sounding cold.
    Coming Up
    Waterfalls

Bonus: goodnight tonight.

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Electric Arguments is probably the closest thing we'll get to McCartney III...I'll take it!
    By the way, I think we've had this McII discussion a time or two before:p
    Two of the best:
    McCartney II - Misunderstood?
    Beatles the Solo Years Album by Album Thread
    Sabotage? Nah- he was just screwing around in the studio, he had no intention of releasing this stuff until he played it for some friends who liked it.
    "Nobody Knows" has always been the one that sounds like a White Album outtake to me. In the ongoing "Paul On 'Dear Prudence'" discussion the other day we were talking about how The Beatles liked overdubbing extra drums on a few of the tracks in that period. Paul does the same thing on McII, there's multiple drum tracks on just about every song (some of them are varispeeded.) That's actually something that took me years to notice. McCartney II is a total headphone album:righton:.

Mr. Explorer, daveidmarx and blutiga like this.
  20. Some very terrific song and a funny experience to listen..

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

TS still grates in my ears nearly 40 years later

22. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

pss: I think II would have benefited from a stronger standout track to elevate its status, perhaps if the great, overlooked single 'Daytime Nightime Suffering' was on it, and would blend into the style of that album.

23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I got it on cassette when I was 12 in 1988. I knew "Coming Up" from All The Best! (my parents had that one) but was blind about the rest of it. And, yeah, my best friend and I laughed our a-ses off first time we heard "Temporary Secretary":laugh: McCartney II is one of his albums I've always liked but it wasn't one I really grew to appreciate until I was older and started seriously doing my own DIY music.

Mr. Explorer and maywitch like this.
  24. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I remember back in October of 2014 getting into albums like McCartney II, Back To The Egg, London Town, Venus & Mars, Wings At The Speed Of Sound, etc. McCartney II was an instant favorite. I prefer it to McCartney. It's such a good album.

Mr. Explorer and ohnothimagen like this.
  25. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

No, he does not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.