How do you rating Marc Bolan as a guitarist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It's interesting that you mentioned that. I thought I heard somewhere that Bolin was actually taking lessons from Clapton prior to Ride a White Swan. I don't know to what extent or even if that was true, but I found it funny because I wouldn't have connected Clapton with Bolin in the slightest.

I saw T-Rex once at the Hollywood Palladium during the Electric Warrior tour and later again for a live taping of "In Concert" at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. I thought they were OK live, but not incredible. I liked T Rex's songs but they started to all sound the same after a while.

Dodoz likes this.
  2. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Bolin is a different guy, of Deep Purple fame ;)

Marc Bolan could be full of **** in interview :) Probably sat with Clapton once and it turned into "taking lessons from Clapton". I don't know to what extent it's true, but i've heard the story many times. I'd say it's a typical Bolan hyperbole.

You're lucky to have attended two T.Rex shows! I wasn't even born then.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    greelywinger and Sax-son like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I know people who went to the concert and they reckoned it was fantastic and Marc and Mickey almost caused a riot teasing the audience. Both Ian Meldrum and the woman who wrote the review (Helen Thomas??)were backing down and changing their opinion when the backlash (almost a page of letters praising Marc) started.

Groggy and Dodoz like this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Notice how the lead guitar on this Serge Gainsbourg track sounds exactly like Bolan c Beard of Stars/T. Rex. Even Mick Ronson copied Bolan's Prettiest Star solo note for note.

oldturkey, longdist01 and cmcintyre like this.
  5. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Creative, original front man with great ideas and enough guitar chops to get it done.

Groggy and longdist01 like this.
  6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Gainsbourg named T.Rex in one of his tracks. He loved "x" sounds in his lyrics and used the trick in many songs (Françoise Hardy's "Comment te dire adieu" is a perfect example).

6:10

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That's right Ex Fan of the Sixties. There's a rare version in English on the Birkin boxset.

Dodoz likes this.
  8. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Oh that's right! So he did it twice then.

Mylene likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Don't know how good he was technically, but I always loved his playing. I think Johnny Marr talks about what a big impact he was on his playing. A real guitar freak. Might be the same song over and over as some say, but what a song!

Ludger and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Mmm...This is pretty much how I feel about the Smiths actually, even if i like them to an extent.

I know there are exceptions, you know...Piano driven tracks, or "London", but overall I hear the same song over and over...Marr arpeggios and (yodel yodel) life is hard and I don't fit in, (yodel yodel).

:hide:

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!

Dodoz likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it serviced his music...

Dodoz and longdist01 like this.
  13. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Fantastique. Agree

Dodoz likes this.
  14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That video is everything that's great about Bolan. The Hall of Fame should be forced to watch it.

Dodoz likes this.
  15. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Brilliant. Why? Because I can hum his lead parts, I hear 'em in my head. And the way he played the chords - sliding into them in a very unique and mischievous way - that style supported his songs so well. You know it's Marc Bolan - he created an identifiable style.

oldturkey, Ludger, Groggy and 2 others like this.
  16. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I'll have to learn how to spell his last name.:o

17. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

Where in my post did I write that it WASN'T ok to be proficient

ParloFax likes this.
  18. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think Visconti mentioned that he took him round to Clapton's house a few times and they may have jammed. I don't know if it went as far as lessons, probabaly just musicians with guitars and a joint jamming. I am sure Eric was happy to play over simple three chord rock and roll as anyone! Visconti said that he kept expecting Bolan to make a jump up to the next level as an artist like Bowie but it never happened as Marc just didn't put the work in. I mean he had become a huge star with the talents he had so I suppose he didn't see the reason to change? Oddly if he had lived he may have had a resurgence anyway as his basic skills came back into fashion.

19. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

When you watch this "Pop 2" show, it features some of his best live playing IMO. Quite focused.
    Someone mentioned cocaine, and it makes me wonder indeed - if excess and unprecedented success made everything blow up, from his head to his soloing! lol

20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

This song is so HEAVY. I love his tone on this. Totally vicious on the verses!

Ludger likes this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I heard a White Stripes live tape once and cannot agree. Messy as heck.

22. downer

downer Senior Member

I was therein 1973, Adelaide - about a 75 min set, and they played a total of 7 or 8 songs, everyone of them stretched out into an extended jam.

Mylene likes this.
  23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I know I mentioned him before and don't want this to turn into a Cobain thread, but he also had a way of playing his chords and his riffs, a kind of rythmic strumming with very quickly muted strings now and then...I've NEVER EVER heard people cover Nirvana songs and play the riffs the way Kurt did. Honestly. They don't go from one chord to another the way he did, even on something as seemingly basic as "Rape Me". My favourites have an identifiable style that served their songs.

24. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Oh please. There is no comparison. Bolan was a decent songwriter but a mediocre guitarist.

25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

He was competent but no more than that. He might have been suitable to play in Big Brother and the Holding Company (and that's meant to be a backhanded compliment).

Andrew J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.