Stranger Things Collector's Edition Blu-ray + DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by macuzr, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macuzr

macuzr Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just picked up the Target exclusive Stranger Things Blu-ray.
    The packing is a faux VHS tape with 2 Blu-ray and 2 DVD disks. For those that haven't seen the series it's a flashback for those of us who grew up in the late 70's and early 80's. There are tons of shout-outs to Spielberg, King, Lucas etc.

Stranger Things: Season 1 Blu-ray

alexpop, Reid Smith and SuntoryTime like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I saw this available on Netflix a friend of mine recommended it...Is it that good?

3. macuzr

Yes. It's very nostalgic but in a good way.

Shawn and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

I'm going to check it out....thanks...I love nostalgia!

5. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Highly recommend it, and the second season comes out next week.

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

thanks...I saw the count down clock on netflix.

Malina likes this.
  7. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I started watching this yesterday after work, it's fantastic! I just have episodes 7 and 8 to watch.
    To me it feels like if Spielberg filmed a King novel. Fun, funny, creepy and genuinely scary at times.
    See ya later I gotta run, two episodes await!

Vidiot and Jerry Horne like this.
  8. macuzr

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I don't know nothin' about this show. Didn't even know it existed until I saw a mountain of blu-rays starring at me at the Target. This looks like something I might like, but I'm notorious for getting restless and giving up when faced with a season of television. Is this something I should roll the dice on? I'm 41 and live in the past.

Malina and artfromtex like this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Do you have Netflix ? Check it out there, if you do.

11. Daniel Plainview

I do not.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That's a shame. My son is paying the $11.99 per month, and it's helped me break the Blu-ray-for-everything habit.
    I liked season 1, and plan to watch season 2 next week, so yes, I can recommended it, though I know I'd likely never watch it a second time, like I am say, Justified, on Blu-ray, right now.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Season 1 is 8 episodes. If you get restless and give up on a season that short, you might need to get that checked out. ;)

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Well, the return of the X-Files last year was only 6 episodes and I bailed out after two and a half! Granted, that show's best days were long behind it.

Okay, 8 episodes shouldn't kill me. I'll see what all the fuss is about. If nothing else I can admire the cool packaging.

Malina and Jerry Horne like this.
  15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm watching The Wire one season at a time at my own pace. So before season 3, I just started the mini series Show Me A Hero. Only six episodes.

I've overlooked Stranger Things, so I might add the Blu-ray to my Netflix queue.

How scary is it? Not like "The Conjuring scary", right?

16. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

I loved Season One, and I can't wait for Season Two.

I grew up obsessed with '80's movies like The Goonies, Stand By Me, The Monster Squad, Spielberg flicks, and Steven King adaptations. So, I feel like this series was tailor-made for me.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  17. fuzzybam

fuzzybam Well-Known Member

I picked this up and am only through the first two episodes. It seems cool so far, but I am worried it might become nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Non-scary. If your thing is lousy King movies of the 80s, then you'll like it -- this one is equally as lousy. The kids are a novelty although they're not half the actors the kids in other 80s films were ... except for maybe "Chunk" from the Gooneys. But one does have a speech impediment so that helps. All the great original screenplays languishing out there and this ripoff junk gets made. Most of the press comes from a brief internet fascination with the show, so if you have "Facebook Tastes, (i.e. Cute cat memes and fake science stories) I'd also recommend it to you.

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

So. You like it?

(sarcasm)

20. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Highly addictive. The soundtrack is killer.

21. Daniel Plainview

Aww, man....why didn't you say this before I bought it?!? :D

Malina likes this.
  22. I thoroughly enjoyed the first season and am eagerly looking forward to season two.

23. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Do you like anything?

24. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Everyone getting in to this show, don't worry if you don't like it right away. I didn't like episode 1 at all, in fact I actively disliked all the early 80s references. But I was completely won over in episode 2 when more characters were introduced. So give it a chance.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

He's wrong. It's well acted and well directed and anyone over 40 will dig the great retro feel. It's not on the level of Fargo seasons 1 and 2 or Mindhunter but a very enjoyable series none the less.

DetroitDoomsayer and keef00 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.