"American Gods" on Starz

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Why the Alien Covenant trailer?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think somebody broke the link. It should've been this one:

chaz likes this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Having finished the book, all I can say is that there's SO much more story to tell! That said, due to the show's success I've read that Gaiman's gearing up for a sequel!

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Vidiot

The producers have said it'll take them at least two more seasons just to tell the story from the first Gaiman book.

5. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

And they are already deviating from the original book considerably, adding new material. There's none of the interaction between the Dead Wife and the Leprechaun in the book, although I have to say their scenes really work.

chrischerm and Vidiot like this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The show certainly doesn't follow the book to the letter. Much like Game of Thrones, the book is more of a template of sorts.

7. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I kinda hoped they'd just go onto Gaiman's 'Anansi's Boys.' It wasn't technically a sequel, but definitely part of the same universe. I actually like Anansi's Boys more than American Gods.

8. Vidiot

That might be the funniest damned thing in the whole show. I also laugh at the "buzzing flies" sound effects they mix in to her shots, reminding us that her body is rotting.

Lownote30, JonMcK and chrischerm like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You don't hear much about it, but it's the kind of show around which a cult following should evolve in time.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I just started this, and finished Episode 1, so I haven't read far into this thread. Once I realized this was a Fuller show I knew I had to check it out and it had the same artistic and fantastical production sensibility that graced Hannibal, so I'll keep watching.

I tried reading this first book about four years ago. . .and couldn't get into it. But I can see that this will be great material in the Television medium.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Watching the series got me to read the book. I thought it was a terrific read!

Ghostworld likes this.
  12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Just blind-bought the BluRay today. Watched episodes one + two.

Loving it so far.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  13. Vidiot

Man, I'm totally bummed out: the two main showrunners just walked off the series this week...

'American Gods' Showrunners Bryan Fuller, Michael Green Exit Starz Drama

I think it might succeed if they lost a few writers and producers, but I get the strong impression that Bryan Fuller is a huge part of this show. It's interesting to note that he got quit/fired on Star Trek: Discovery awhile back as well.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Damn. That's gonna be a problem. So now we're gonna get a Fuller-less show with a smaller budget? I mean, I'll still gve it a chance but Fuller is definitely the primary reason for my enthusiasm and continued optimism.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm enjoying the season so far.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yep, but I was disappointed that the end of season one where "Easter" killed of living plants sort of vanished. I thought that was the world's wake up call.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Same here, but I have to say the first season is A LOT like the book. Gaiman has a simple but smart writing style. He reads a lot like King without so much inner monologue.

18. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Favorite show after GOT. Ian McShane has been the best and considering everyone else on the show that is saying something. His scene with Cloris Leachman in his arms was perfect. So now I have to get the book.

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. Yeah, really enjoying this show. I've been watching since episode one but just bought the season one blu-ray as I want to see the images hi-res / not through the compromised internet/cable signal. Plus it looks like there's some good extras and commentaries.

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I've watched the first season three times. Love it. Daring. Strange Original.

alexpop likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, I got it now. The whole story line got completely screwed up when the showrunners left, taking Kristen Chenoweth. I was wondering what the hell was going on!

American Gods season 2 already has a major plot hole

Vidiot likes this.
  22. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

Last episode seems kind of like a filler episode.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I also could have lived without the “shadow as a child” story — Waste Of Time.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Opening of S2E4 was nothing short of brilliant. What an economic bit of storytelling. Gaiman is so good at his vignettes. He's a great storyteller.

25. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Finished season one last night. That was a whole lot of boring nothing stretched over 8 plus hours. Who knew almost an entire season could be called filler. Too bad. There was some decent acting (not Shadow) and a couple of times some actual character development.

I've read season two is even more of a slog and that's from season one lovers who lost their lunch over meh stuff like Laura kicking a guy in half and Bowie look a likes.

Scotian and darkmass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.