Rock drummers with most swing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

No I'm not. I just didn't type the word "able" there. It's sad that you feel that you need to be able to dispute something, or that that needs to be a possibility, or that the potential to dispute something must be there (is that thorough enough for you?) for a discussion to not be pointless.

And meaning is subjective by the way.

2. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

This forum suffers from threads degrading into petty bitching and becomes just useful as a reference resource.

Lownote30 and Man at C&A like this.
  3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Your reply doesn't really address my point. Carry on.

4. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Would you kindly show me just one example? :) I don’t think it’s possible, because there is no way you can make the machine sound live.

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It's the musical equivalent of putting the em-PHA-sis on the wrong syl-LA-ble

ianuaditis and Joeinator97 like this.
  6. thos

thos Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I remember a quote from Jon Anderson after Bruford had quit Yes, and Alan White joined, where he said (paraphrasing) "Alan gave us that swing, if you like, ..." implying maybe that "swing" was lacking with Bruford's more "clinical" style.
    An example of how the word "swing" means something different in rock. (since Jon adds "if you like", he knows he's using the word in a vague sense...) .

I think he was enjoying Alan's more straight ahead rock groove and maybe noticing that audiences were reacting differently to it. \
    In that case, it seems the arguably "less jazzy" White was seen as the one with more "swing" (in a rock band context).

bluejimbop likes this.
  7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

If you take the term swing in the literal dictionary definition, do, traditional gospel drummers have swing?

8. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Thank you so much for this vid.

9. Terrapin Station

It addressed what I quoted, which was what I was interested in.

10. Terrapin Station

bzfgt likes this.
  11. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

KJ fantastic drummer for the (small) Faces with a good swing factor. Totally wrong for The Who.

12. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Billy K! That's Kreutzman.

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. Joeinator97

Joeinator97 Forum Resident

Few guys that come to mind are Mitch Mitchell and Bill Ward. Saw some debate on here about whether rock n roll can swing. It absolutely can. Listen to older 50s rock recordings, that **** had swing and even had jazz instrumentation (ie double bass). To me, the big thing about rock n roll when it first came out was heavier emphasis on the downbeat, but a lot of those grooves still swung. Even listen to jazz cats like Charlie Christian, his solos were full of ideas rockers would later take! It's all music and it's all a part of the same big web.

zphage and ianuaditis like this.
  14. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Listening to the BulletBoys now & gotta mention Jimmy D'Anda.

15. Michael Rose

Mitch Mitchell was a drummer that could've gone the distance with Hendrix. As Jimi *would've evolved in his style (blues, jazz, and experimentation), Mitchell would've been right there with him.

misterdecibel likes this.
  16. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Bill Ward - His incredible dynamics was essential to Black Sabbath even when not directly heard;
    Stewart Copland - His eclectic approach was essential to The Police's identity and even influenced other great drummers, like Neil Peart and others;
    Bill Bruford - His incredibly eclectic approach put him definitely on another league;
    Carl Palmer - The most powerful that I've ever heard, especially on ELP's heydays.

17. Joeinator97

Joeinator97 Forum Resident

Another drummer I forgot to name is Max Weinberg, believe it or not. his live stuff mid 70s with Springsteen has a good dose of swing in it

18. Mikehayes95

Mikehayes95 Member

Bill is the best also would say Rudd from acdc had the best time also

Greenalishi likes this.
  19. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

I dunno if it's swing anymore but this is what I enjoy in drumming - the guy on Let's Stick Together has insane feel - is it swing technically or not?

carlwm likes this.
  20. Michael Rose

As Max mentioned in several interviews, his biggest influence was Dave Clark. If you hear DC, you hear Max Weinberg's style 100%. As another poster already mentioned, Max was able to "swing" with The MW7 on Conan. I don't know about that with Bruce.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  21. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

I heard Ringo was a bit of a swinger.

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i am not super familiar with purdie, we'll fix that at some point, but i believe he was a huge influence on bonham

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  23. Influence? Yes. Huge? I'm not so sure. 'Fool in the Rain' is the only song I can think of that shows his influence. Others may wish to correct me...

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Is that Paul Thompson on the skins for Roxy Music?

Great player. He's with Lindisfarne now.

25. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy had some great swing in his drumming/style, so fluid and smooth sounding even on the harder rocking songs, his playing flows.

patel kismet and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.