New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

Yes exactly, that's my take on it too. He,s always be complementary of Gilmour and Wright in terms of vocals and playing ability.

I remember reading an article many years ago where the writer said "the thing that sets Roger apart from the rest of Floyd is his ability to knock out a good tune". Those classic Floyd albums of the seventies would not have happened without him, period.

It was interesting that Nigel Goderich said "After Roger left I never thought of pink floyd as pink floyd!

vapor minor and RockNRod like this.
  2. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Crazy, I just put this album on for the first time in over a month, and this thread pops up. Still digging the album, "Broken Bones" might just be one of the best songs Roger ever wrote, certainly among his solo work.

3. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Here's some of the other quotes from the "egotistical wanker" from Neil McCormick's interview that was published in May 2017 from The Telegraph.
    “Dave and I are not mates, we never were and I doubt we ever will be,” he says. “Which is fine, there’s no reason why we should be.”
    “I hoped that was the end of Floyd.” Waters sued his bandmates to stop them using the name – a decision about which he will now shrug and frankly say: “I was wrong.”
    “I love Nick. And he loves me. We were always close. But you can be creative without being friends. David and I did a lot of really great work together, which wouldn’t exist without both of us being there.”

Seems kinda odd for an egotistical wanker to admit he was wrong?

Is the next reply gonna have one of those little popcorn buckets? Cause if someone's going to bring that in could they please grab me a diet coke as well?

4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Will this do?

[​IMG]

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Not necessarily. He has certainly come to terms with some of his history but still comes off as a total egomaniac and hypocrite at times.

6. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Still enjoying this album.. Roger Waters brought back the Scary Undercurrent that was missing from the Pink Floyd reunion albums.

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You've basically described Animals. Waters only plays bass on "Dogs" (Gilmour plays bass on the rest of the album); Roger indeed plays rhythm guitar on "Pigs" and "Sheep" just like he did when they performed them live in '77. I think one of the reasons Waters still plays bass at all these days -that same old beat up black P-Bass he's been playing since the late seventies, must be the only bass he owns or something- is because it's part of his image as "Roger Waters".

Still, two days till I see the "Us And Them" show here in Edmonton...can't wait!

Billy_Sunday and Zeki like this.
  8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Beyond Animals, he's probably playing guitar on a fair few cuts on The Wall and The Final Cut. I've tried to do a search on a list, but all I get is a bunch of Waters or Gilmour fanboys on other forums citing Wikipedia as a reliable source and descending into arguments that make this place look like a beacon of sensible behaviour.

9. ohnothimagen

Dunno about The Wall, but I'm betting all the acoustic guitar parts (and possibly some electric rhythm) on The Final Cut are all Waters. The guitar solos are Gilmour's, of course, but not much else guitar-wise on that album I reckon. The acoustic playing on The Final Cut is not dissimilar to the acoustic playing on is this the life...

10. Stephen Gleadall

Enjoy. Your thoughts would be welcome. I'm going to be in the audience at Manchester UK next summer.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  11. Stephen Gleadall

What do you mean "look like", it is a beacon of sensible behaviour!

vitorbastos123 and PretzelLogic like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

Oh, no worries, I'll post a full review Tuesday night, probably even some pix from our nosebleed seats:laugh: It'll be my 12 year old stepson's first concert...hopefully he'll enjoy and possibly even get something out of the experience:righton:

13. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

A good amount of the Wikipedia article on The Wall, specifically the song credits, comes from Vernon Fitch’s research. His book on the album goes into detail on who played what. @PFA

tedhead likes this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

There went my coffee!

15. Stephen Gleadall

Zeki likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

Well, the Edmonton show (first of two nights) was excellent...I'm not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed this show much more than seeing Pink Floyd back in '94. The Floyd seemed bored, and in a hurry to get the show over with (especially since they played the first set in daylight, rending all the lights, lasers etc unusable). Roger had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand from minute one. My stepson had a good time, seemed genuinely interested in the show (he liked "Another Brick In The Wall" with the kids singing the best). Best part of the show for me, of course, was the Animals section, just hearing "Dogs" and "Pigs" back to back made our decidedly crappy seats (the view was a bit obstructed by the lighting rigs) worth it.

During the intermission the people in the row in front of us were talking about "those three songs he played back to back", they we're familiar with them at all. I told them "They're from his new album, it's excellent." They didn't even know Waters had a new album out!:laugh:

I took a few pictures but I'm not the greatest photographer and, like I said, we didn't have the greatest seats. Damn good show just the same, though...naturally, when I showed my wife some of the little videos I took she said, "I wish I'd gone now!"

During "Picture That":
    [​IMG]
    The Animals set:
    [​IMG]
    The big finale (my stepson was like, "Whoa!")
    [​IMG]

17. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

Was this recorded digitally? It sounds like it was recorded to tape.

18. Stephen Gleadall

Thank for this. Pleased you and your stepson really enjoyed the show and had a good time. I notice that the screen at the back of the stage is rectangular which I have seen in reports on other shows. Yet at some shows the screen is longer and shaped to suit the end of the arena. Is this changed from show to show dependent on the size of arena?

19. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Heading over tonight!! Should be a cracker!

ohnothimagen and Zeki like this.
  20. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

Other reviews from that night in Edmonton seem to corroborate your view:

Rogers Waters the real Pink Floyd

Roger was the "hammer" behind the band, the driving force. So it's not surprising the 94 Floyd had less energy, as well as the Gilmour solo albums than 74 year old Waters.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

In my opinion the 1994 tour didn't lack energy even though it may seem that way when compared to Roger's current show. Gilmour's playing was sublime and Rick was firmly back in the band and was playing as good as he ever did. Most notably, they performed just the way that Pink Floyd always had - they pretty much never moved from their places on the stage and never exhibited any identifiable or dominant personalities.

Waters remained the same way during his 80s tours. But during the 1999/2000 tour he began to explore some safe choreography and since then he's evolved into quite the showman - and good for him. But in my own grumpy opinion, Roger pacing the stage and playing to the audience is not my recollection of what an actual classic Pink Floyd concert was like (and I was lucky to have attended a few). This isn't knocking Roger's recent show in any way, most people have been raving about it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Johnny Reb, PDK and Stephen Gleadall like this.
  22. ohnothimagen

Yeah, I am inclined to think that the Edmonton crowd back in '94 just caught them on a bad night for a variety of reasons. They must have been pissed off that all their lighting and effects were essentially wasted during the first half of the show, for example -it doesn't get dark up here at that time of year -end of June- until almost eleven at night...the show started around nine, I think.
    Yeah, I admit I had a hard time squaring the Roger Waters I saw last night with the same guy I have on all those old 70's audience recordings flipping out over firecrackers and whatnot:laugh:

23. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Mind you in 94 (as in 88) they did generously give us that ADHD caged performance artist to watch, twirling his sticks and shaking his ponytail - not sure which of the classic shows featured anything like that...

tedhead, rontoon and PDK like this.
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I agree. Gary Wallis was definitely an unwanted distraction. At least he was caged. :laughup:

oneslip17 and penguinzzz like this.
  25. SoNineties

SoNineties Forum Resident

I agree with this. I would have said the same if Gilmour left, for instance.
    Some might even say that with regards to Barrett

pablorkcz, PDK, zinan and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.