Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Oh boy. :sigh: I see those frequently on vinyl. I think there is a small split near spindle hole. I don't see this devaluing the record at all.

2. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Can you take a pic of it? This can’t be what I think it is. If it’s what I think, it’s not a big deal in the slightest bit and I’d absolutely keep it. I’m hoping this isn’t nitpicking of the highest order.

Ed

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Disk Union (EMI Japan) put 'warning' stickers in English en Japanese on their premium US pressed Blue Note facsimile reissues, so I assume quite a few people return records for this reason in general.

< Labels with the tearing at the center >
    Please be advised that there are some tearing at the center of the label. We have been pursuing to make this series as close as possible to the originals back when they were released and using the old pressing machines from the similar or same period. The tearing had been resulted from using these press machines. Thank you for your understanding in advance.

Tullman likes this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

That’s nothing...mines got a cock drawn on it with silver marker :yikes:

5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Wow. I hope they don’t garbage an entire vinyl set for a nic in a paper label. That makes landfills weep.

If only there was a way to resell when someone returns for a reason that has nothing to do with sound...

6. suomynona

suomynona Forum Resident

Does Music Direct sell used vinyl?

7. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Yup...same experience here (well, liquidated the old mofi as i prefer the RL, but it just got The Goodbye Look).
    Could do without the box/packaging excess bs.
    If they did Kamakiriad (or any/all SD), I’d get ‘em in a heartbeat. I’d probably pay more...

RelayerNJ likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Don’t think so. At least not on their website. I could be wrong

9. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Music Direct gets returns and then sells them in store. I live locally and have purchased many records that needed a simple cleaning were then perfect. I personally think they are way to liberal in their return policies.
    Tim

Plan9 and lucan_g like this.
  10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I really want The Royal Scam reissued... :sigh:

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

0769 arrived from Musicdirect today. I have not yet had a chance to open it up and listen. I won’t be much help with a review because I have no other version of this with which to compare, but if it’s anything like the last two 1-Step releases it will be definitive.

Guss2 likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

According to FedEx, my order was shipped yesterday and is scheduled to arrive next Thursday, the 26th.

FashionBoy likes this.
  13. Doubtful as the extra bars are in the *middle* of intro. It’s not a banding error, but rather indicative of a different master.

14. You are kidding, correct? If you buy records to keep and enjoy, how does a tiny white scratch by the spindle hole lessen your enjoyment? I mean, I know we want our records to be pristine at this price, but if it is not damage to the vinyl, does it really lessen your enjoyment so much that you have to return it?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  15. Cool.

16. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

Seems slow for FedEx?? Hope you find this pressing worth the wait!

17. AnalogJ

It's essentially FedEx Ground with a handoff to USPS. It's FedEx Smartpost.

18. suomynona

suomynona Forum Resident

Thankfully it's not media mail.

19. schwarcw

schwarcw Forum Resident

Received mine, #1279. Beautiful box, plenty of packaging foam, sleeve hard cover, hard inner folding sleeve, Mofi paper sleeve, original folding cover with song lyrics, musicians and production information. There are many similiarities to the big Anadisc and UHD packages that Mofi released in the past. The difference is the 1 Step is better to my ears. I played my copies twice. The improvement vs the original Mofi, RL Masterdisk, or DVD-A was evident to me. A lot of dynamics, bass punch and space around the voices and instruments. More details seem to appear in the music similar to the DVD-A. Very low surface noise for a 45 rpm. Much better than Mofi's Patricia Barber 45 rpm box sets, or Natalie Merchant's "Tigerlily". My lps all had small label cracks near the spindle hole. No biggie to me. The only other observation that I will make is maybe a little no fill during the last 10 seconds or less of "Maxine". It's in the music fade and just slightly audible.

My opinion is that it is a good value for someone like me who bought this lp when it was new, own most of the versions and still love this piece of music. I thrill for me for sure! I think many of the others who will own this record will agree.

bluejimbop, DPC, MikeJedi and 2 others like this.
  20. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I was definitely one of the first orders in...I ordered literally minutes from when it went live. I still received 988. No rhyme or reason.

AnalogJ likes this.
  21. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I'd be a little more willing to agree if people were lining up to pay $100 for each of the returns. I can look the other way when paying a much reduced price for the returned records. For the same record, one persons "the returned one-step that I bought for $20 only needed a good cleaning" is another persons "why don't they have better quality control for this $100 investment". A person's purchasing experience and satisfaction is inversely related to the price they pay.

ispace and Twinsfan007 like this.
  22. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Mine came today. Cleaned and played both LP's- absolutely perfect.
    Anyone have a good source for an outer sleeve that will fit these boxes?
    ATB,
    Mark

FashionBoy and Twinsfan007 like this.
  23. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I store each LP in a generic cardboard sleeve and put them in a plastic sleeves. I store the empty box in a separate area - never opening it again. The box is always the weak link in the circle of life of box sets. If I still want to further protect the box I wrap it in saran wrap. It will only be used again when I need to reinsert the records for resale at which point the boxes will be virtually unused. Always plan and care for both the LP and Box for the highest resale value. While you may never plan to resale the set, I have found that the best-laid plans of mice, men and record collectors often go awry.

FashionBoy and japhyman like this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Okay. I admittedly haven't heard an original in forever (since I got the DVD-A), so I don't know if it would be easily cut or what.

25. AnalogJ

That, and each person's equipment is different in terms of picking up issues. Cleaning may not always be the solution. And I resent the previous poster's implication that he holds the standard as to whether a record has a defect or not. I literally had a record my cartridge couldn't track. I carefully discovered a physical defect in the vinyl that was causing the jump, a small slit. That passage sailed right through on another table.

So if a buyer has to return a product due to an LP he deems below his standards, that's his prerogative. A retailer shouldn't come back with an "I don't believe you." BAD customer service.

richbdd01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.