Morton Feldman recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sberger, Oct 21, 2017.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

I have only one cd of his, 2007's Clarinet And String Quartet. I like it quite a bit, and would like to delve into some of this other works. Obviously there is a lot in his catalog, so I'm looking for advice on where to go next. I'm adventurous so hit me up with any/all suggestions and favorites.

Thanks.

hvbias and ostrichfarm like this.
  2. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I bought this 4CD set when it had a normal price and I love it:

[​IMG]

sberger likes this.
  4. Electric

This 4CD is available for a normal price:

[​IMG]

Mike burgess and sberger like this.
  5. Electric

I just picked this up new for $3:
    [​IMG]

sberger likes this.
  6. sberger

Thanks very much! Will look into all of them.

Yes that is one that some other folks have mentioned to me. Will probably pick it up. Thanks!

7. sberger

You got lucky.

8. Electric

9. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Glancing through the threads on the main page, I initially read this as "Marty Feldman Recommendations." I was like, hey I didn't know that guy put out any albums!

[​IMG]

Not to be confused with Marty Friedman or Milton Friedman, of course.

10. sberger

11. sberger

Indeed!!
    [​IMG]

12. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I'm by no means a Morton Feldman expert, but I'm enjoying the hypnotic String Quartet No.2. At six hours, I'll definitely be listening to it in chunks.

[​IMG]

More than one quartet has recorded this. I'm not sure one tells which performance is best.

13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I must say, an unexpected post. I know his music very well and knew him as well when I was in my teens. I used to perform his music. I have nothing positive to say about him as a person but I enjoy his middle period works like The Viola In My Life. The first recording of his music called The Early Years is worth finding.

NorthNY Mark and sberger like this.
  14. sberger

Ditto. One of my favorites.

15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm a huge fan of his piano work. I like the string quartets but less a fan of the other well-known ensemble works already cited above.

I'd suggest Triadic Memories as a place to start listening to his piano works. There is a single and a double CD version of this out there. I'd also try a collection of works for two or pianists.

Of all the works for two or more different instruments I have heard, my favourite is the later work Patterns in a Chromatic Field which is for piano and cello.

Mr. H likes this.
  16. misterjones

I've been really into baroque and medieval music lately, but, maybe as a little counterpoint, I find myself drifting towards some modernism and minimalism. It might be a short excursion, but I think I need the counterpoint (for lack of a better word) . . . though the two composers I listened to last night were Hildegard von Bingen and Morton Feldman. Both seemed to have a similar vibe.

17. misterjones

I was annoyed that, on Spotify, several of the movements were improperly converted to digital files - i.e., lots of digital noise and skips in various places - so I broke down and bought a new copy (for $55). (My brother-in-law has Apple Music, and there they appear to have deleted the offending movements in their entirety.) I figured I had better act, since this "pressing" was limited to 3000 copies (over 15 years ago, I think) and CD copies are few and far between. You can get an mp3 version for only $8.99, but you only get three of four parts, which I find strange. There's another, more recent version, but it's slower, requiring and extra CD. I've listened to portions of both and prefer the pace of this one.

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Which is the offending part?

S/h copies are very expensive. And what's happened to Hat Hut ? They seem to have been bought out.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  19. misterjones

By "offending" I meant the movements or parts that include the digital noise and skips (my theory being that both Spotify and Apple have the same music files for the quartet, and Apple, perhaps due to complaints, just deleted the entire movement/part because they had no replacement).

By the way, what is an s/h copy?

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes - I meant the file in the original 4CD sequence that had the glitch.

S/h = second-hand in the UK.

21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Try this just under 80" of pure fun,
    [​IMG]

hvbias, kiddo4, Joti Cover and 2 others like this.
  22. misterjones

I wasn't keeping track, but the two I found were in tracks not on Apple Music (7 and 10 come to mind), so I just assumed that was the reason others were excluded. Just a guess.

mr.datsun likes this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I see. I hadn't realised that it was divided into 13 sections approx 20 minutes long each. I just checked. Thank-you.

I've always wondered about the 6CD Mode version so your comment on that was useful.

misterjones likes this.
  24. misterjones

I'm not entirely sure the difference between that and the 4-CD version is tempo. The review I saw indicated it was. I tend to doubt they would make cuts in the score. Here are the running times for the two sets:

Hat Hut (Ives) - 292:34
    Mode (Flux) - 367:07

If it is just tempo, then Ives plays about 29 seconds of music for Flux's 36-37 (about 20% slower for the latter). Not too significant, though it certainly appears to be when it's hours rather than seconds!

mr.datsun likes this.
  25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Well, it's definitely worth me hearing the Flux version you mention. I've just never thought about it before. When I previewed versions of Chromatic Fields recently, the interpretations made a huge difference to me. Sometimes the player(s) can make or break a work - from a personal point of view.