A New Career In A New Town is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I pre-ordered Bowie's A New Career In Town on vinyl.

Looking at the vinyl list, do you guys/gals think it's worth the 200 well I pre-ordered for 180.

I kinda only want Low, Heroes and Scary Monsters as I have Lodger on vinyl already and a bad copy of Low.

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Wait a few months and get the stand-alones.

3. Diorama

How long you think it shall be? I did that with the Five Years boxset.

4. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

It's probably worth 500, so you're getting a bargain.
    How much does the cd go for?

5. Diorama

You mean my copy of Low is worth 500?

My copy of Lodger is a first print, got it in Malmo 10 years ago for 12 quid.

sr.rm.pt.17 likes this.
  6. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

February 2018 going by the previous 2 boxes. Recall3, Lodger remix and the original Stage will be unique to the box.
    I bought the 5 years box but have no regrets picking up the standalones for box 2, saved me a fortune but missed out on the original mix of David Live, the Gouster and Recall 2.

7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

February, I think.

8. Diorama

mmm... tis food for thought. thanks :)

9. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

After reading so many positive reviews of it, I just bought the 2017 Visconti mix of Lodger on eBay. I'm also eager to have the new remaster of Scary Monsters, but will have to wait until it is released individually; sounds like sometime around February.

As for Low and Heroes, I'm not sure I want to "upgrade" my Rykos; reviews are all over the place, and everyone seems upset over the "Heroes" glitch, which I know would annoy me, especially since "Heroes" is one of my least-favorite Bowie songs already (sorry, I just find it monotonous).

10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Autorip available on Amazon as of about an hour ago.

11. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I was told by Amazon UK that sets on offer now include the disc with the "correct" version of "Heroes". Has anyone heard it yet and is it in effect correct?

12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

"Heroes" does seem to be fixed, and I will say there's a bit of a "loss of energy," but nothing so noticeable that anyone would have notices.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  13. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

If you listen to Heroes on headphones you would be hard pushed to notice any dip at all, even though I knew it was there I couldnt really spot it, the only thing I did notice was that the volume seemed lower in the second half of the track. I know on the original the volume builds. This was from the original vinyl set. I say this so that anyone who gets a new box set and wants to see if they have the fixed version, don't check via headphones!

14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I don’t believe that. The turnaround seems way too quick. I was expecting it to be a good couple if months

Electric Sydney likes this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The first rule of "A New Career in a New Town" is that you do not talk about "A New Career in a New Town".

16. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Sons of the silent age :)

Tim

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Is there a way to tell visually if the set contains the corrected version of Heroes? I don’t see a matrix number or anything to be sure.

18. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

has anyone heard anything about the replacement CDs that they were manufacturing that the posted about on the official Facebook page?

19. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

I think we are still waiting for news on the new cd/vinyl.

20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have just been reading the Amazon reviews on this. Usually Amazon is full of unjustified praise but this one has more one star reviews than anything else due to both terrible brickwalled mastering and the errors. I can't believe this incompetent rip off would have occurred if Bowie was alive. Appears each box set has got worse in terms of mastering and content. Bought a few individual titles on vinyl from the previous sets but will be sticking with my originals for these unless in the unlikely case they are redone. Apparently they are remastering Heroes and offering replacements after weeks of complaints.

22. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

dtuck90 and sr.rm.pt.17 like this.
  23. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Any other impressions, opinions of the set? I don't have any Bowie from the Berlin era, and was debating whether to pick up a vinyl box or wait for individual albums to be released. Low is a favorite of mine. Not usually into live albums, and I am not familiar enough with Lodger to be interested in a Visconti remix. I would maybe be interested still, for the bonus material (besides the albums), if it's worth it.

24. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I purchased and have listened to Amazon auto rip whilst I await delivery.

So far. Low sounds good. Heroes album sounds awful. The Heroes EP sounds dull and lifeless. Scary Monsters not too bad. Stage Original Mix not too bad.

Also Amazon autorip still has uncorrected Heroes track.

John Bliss likes this.
  25. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The original and the remix are both high points in Bowie's catalogue. Spend time with them and you'll see what I mean.

RTW, Markyp and John Bliss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.