Scott Walker - What an amazing catalog!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaccaBeatles, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not sure if Walker's stuff is "weirder" than certain Swans albums but it's definitely compatible :righton:

I take it you are familiar with early Throbbing Gristle?

2. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

Negative.

I am a virgin to Throbbing Gristle.

I'm also apprehensive to Google them!

3. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I'm struggling to imagine Scott Walker as a stand up comedian...

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Walker Brothers were a teen band, girl fans ..etc. He has a lot more black humor in his lyrics now, perhaps bish bosch to some.:)

Gavinyl likes this.
  5. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

Ok, I went for Tilt.

I like it, not too inaccessible at all really. Only two or three plays in but it's clearly got some mileage and loads to discover.

Just downloaded The Drift and listening now.

"Cossacks Are" sounds very similar (bass and drums) to something on Bowie's Outside but I can't quite place it.

"Clara" is just damn menacing :eek:

Gavinyl and Neonbeam like this.
  6. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I'm sort of purposely commenting at a moment before I really begin listening to Scott Walker stuff. One of those weird things where I've been aware of his name since the 60s, was aware of the Walker Brothers too, but never listened/heard any of their stuff. To me back in the 60s, Walker Brothers crossed my mind like the Rooney Brothers (anyone remember those guys?.... I never heard their stuff either).

On an initial quick listen to snips of random stuff on Scott Walker 1, 2, 3, his voice and material reminds me of sort of a combination of Andy Williams/Jack Jones/Engelbert H. The songs aren't grabbing me so far. One of them had an interesting psychedelic noise wash on one side while the main song reminded me a bit of "It Was A Very Good Year". That 1968/69 stuff I've heard so far is certainly well recorded in a muzak way.

I also listened to a few snips of some Walker Bros stuff. I've had an impression in my head all these centuries that their stuff would sound something like Shadows of Knight doing "Oh Yeah" or something. What I've heard so far is more like Troggs meet The Fortunes... or .....

I dunno. I've got to listen more to see if any of this is gonna grab me. It may be like a Kate Bush thing where either you're on board or you're not.

willy likes this.
  7. alexpop

Straight baritone ( Key f) with The Walkers ..then range went higher as albums progressed. Do I hear 21.

Gavinyl, EasterEverywhere and willy like this.
  8. We used to describe Scott 1-3 as "Sinatra on Acid". The music style was very "Popular Vocal" (i.e. fairly conservative Adult Pop), but the lyrics would get quite bizarre.

I'd play "Montague Terrace (in Blue)" for people, and watch their reactions as he sang:

The little clock's stopped ticking now
    We're swallowed in the stomached rue
    The only sound to tear the night
    Comes from the man upstairs

His bloated belching figure stomps
    He may crash through the ceiling soon
    The window sees trees cry from cold
    And claw the moon

Gavinyl and GLYNSTYLER like this.
  9. alexpop

Is there a Scott Walker album by album thread ?

Gavinyl likes this.
  10. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I only have the Walker Brothers music, I need to get the solo albums.

11. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

I need to check out more of his stuff for sure. Scott 4 was great and Bish Bosch was also great!

12. alexpop

No interest I would gather.

Gavinyl likes this.
  13. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I would hope there would be plenty of interest !

Friday night kicking back listening to “The Childhood Of A Leader”.

Gavinyl likes this.
  14. alexpop

Friday night ?
    :cheers:

15. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

ok. never heard of him before this thread. listened to 'soused' first - about halfway through. holy ****. didn't see that coming. i've ordered the cd yesterday from amazon.

also on order is scott 1-4. Was able to track down the '92 reissues for each...all from one seller on discogs. confirmed with him that these are not the hdcd versions as most here seem to recommend the earlier cd releases.

need to check out tilt...

16. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

You should start one while his 1960s fans are still above ground. Would you include the Walker Bros LPs?
    It would be an interesting thread because there would be a few people DRIFTing in and out over the span of genres. I would have to skip the country music years for my own sanity.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Gavinyl, EasterEverywhere and willy like this.
  17. alexpop

Start one?
    Can't.

oldturkey likes this.
  18. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I wouldn't call myself an expert on Scott Walker. It would have to be done by someone who knows a bit more about him than me.

alexpop likes this.
  19. Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Fields Forever Well-Known Member

Oh I always thought it was 'stomaced room'. Now I don't know.

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  20. alexpop

Album by Album thread would be great.
    Though include The Walker Brothers ( Nick Cave fave) some great Scott Engel songs amongst the deep shade of blue.

Gavinyl likes this.
  21. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Finally managed to score Scott 4 and am waiting for it to arrive from Russia (gulp!). I was bidding each week on a uk original copy and each week the prices were jumping up. The last one I tried went for £82! So I went for a Japanese 1st which was more in my price range. Can’t wait for it to arrive, it’s been 5 days now and it’s just made it to Moscow so I’m hoping it doesn’t take too long to get through customs! What started out as a best of recommendation from the good folks here is slowly turning in to an obsession :D

Gavinyl and alexpop like this.
  22. alexpop

Original cd or vinyl?

23. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Ja
    Japanese Scott 4 is IMO the best vinyl pressing. If yours is in good condition you will be impressed.

Gavinyl and Purplefowler like this.
  24. alexpop

Vinyl sonics?
    Till The Band Comes In (org UK)

25. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

You have no idea how relieved I am to hear you say that as I couldn’t find any info in the quality of the pressing compared to the uk. It was the only one that I could afford and I figured if I didn’t like the sound I could easily get my money back on eBay. But it sounds like it’s going to be a keeper. The seller seems great, it was listed as near mint but he played it through the morning before shipping and came back to say there was a small mark on the last track which wasn’t audible but stil wanted to check that I wanted it. It’s been quite a long hunt so I’m really excited to get it