Vernon Joynson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

If i could score it for a resonable
    price, would love to have it on the
    shelf, the 45 Revolutions monster
    too! written by Mr. Doctor of Devil Doll .

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oh bondage indeed, Vernon. :)

Scope J likes this.
  3. Kevin Rathert

Kevin Rathert New Member

Then you are only missing "Dreams, Fantasies and Nightmares" the third part of Vernon's essential trilogy. Also be on the lookout for news from Borderline Productions regarding Vernon's trilogy.

alexpop likes this.
  4. Kevin Rathert

Kevin Rathert New Member

You are spot on regarding Vernon's tastes, but its a great book regardless, just not part of his wonderful trilogy.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

Out again, updated,or ?

6. Kevin Rathert

Kevin Rathert New Member

Check out Vernon's newest title "A Melange of Musical Pipedreams and Pandemoneum." It is ready for pre-order from Amazon.co.uk, Spin, and several other suppliers, but so far Amazon.co.uk's 49.99 pound sterling is by far the best price available!

alexpop and panasoffkee like this.
  7. alexpop

Thx for psychedelic heads up.

8. Looks interesting, building on "Dreams, Fantasies and Nightmares":

The book’s scope is even wider than the title suggests with some other genres, such as jazz and rock-soul, partly covered too. The Turkish and Israeli album, EP, 45 and song titles included have been translated into English wherever possible to make them more accessible to English-speaking readers. The African section encompasses music from several sub-Saharan countries, including Afro-rock from Ghana, Nigeria and Zambia; as well as rock and pop from South Africa and Zimbabwe.

https://www.spincds.com/a-melange-o...-and-prog-1963-1976-limited-edition-paperback

9. alexpop

Well managed to get the 2 vol door stopper edition for 80.00 incl delivery.
    Went to Beatles and it's just a discography, guess he doesn't rate them to give a insight, opinion on their music. Lovely piece on John Cale, but VJ says JC died of a heartache in L.A. 27th July 2013. John Cale is still alive and touring aged 75.

10. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Well, he got the two Cales mixed up -- J.J. Cale's first name is also "John".
    And as far as The Beatles are concerned, Joynson could hardly leave them out of TAPESTRY... but that band is extremely well-documented elsewhere, whereas many of the other acts included in TAPESTRY are discussed nowhere else, or almost nowhere else.

11. alexpop

Yeah...the Beatles, no loss I suppose, but still Pepper & MMT should have gotten a bit of attention. Nice big piece on Kevin Ayers. I've just had to make space to add these lovely volumes to my book case. I'll be dipping in later, you bet

12. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Scope J likes this.
  13. Yeah, you really don't buy a Joynson book to look up the mainstream, his whole thing is what else was getting released while you were buying the Beatles, Stones, etc., and even he doesn't cover the levels of the obscure that Lundborg covered in the Acid Archives. Combined it just shows the staggering amount of music, much of it good to great that was released during the 60s and 70s. Enjoy!

14. alexpop

I have his early volumes.
    Seems to be a waste of time just to have a discography and no comment on that band. I'd rather he omitted them.

15. Scope J

'A MELANGE OF MUSICAL PIPEDREAMS AND PANDEMONIUM: AUSTRALIAN, NEW ZEALAND, AFRICAN, TURKISH AND MIDDLE EASTERN ROCK, POP, BEAT, R&B, FOLK, PSYCH, AFRO-ROCK AND PROG 1963-1976' - This book contains hundreds of entries (large and small), providing detailed band/artist discographies (albums, EP's, singles, reissues, comps and overseas releases). Most entries include descriptions and reviews of the music and a rarity scale is provided for albums and EP's. The book's scope is even wider than the title suggests, with some jazz and rock-soul covered too. The Turkish and Israeli titles have been translated into English wherever possible. The African section includes the most relevant releases from Ghana, Nigeria, Zambia, South Africa and Zimbabwe. This 768-PAGE book is profusely illustrated throughout and contains a 12-page colour section. This numbered publication is limited to 850 copies. There is nothing currently in print similar to this! Paperback only: there will be no hard back edition!

16. Scope J

17. Scope J

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

That utopiaesqe cover looks very samey.
    Kudos non the less

19. Scope J

Summer bump

20. alexpop

21. alexpop

Reissued ?

22. Scope J

No, hope it is at some point.

23. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

Does he review some of the artists releases?

24. alexpop

[​IMG]
    He needs to update this. Found it a little skimpy. Spoke to him in 1996 mentioned Punk Rock he liked the genre bit of it. Surprised when this book came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.