How to get a Denon 3910 to play SACD's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by helter, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helter

helter Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've never been able to play SACD's on my Denon. I recently read here that the 3910 won't play SACD's with a digital cable hook up.
    Where am I suppose to hook up a analog cable for playback on the 3910?
    Does the 3910 need a special program typed in before playing an SACD?

Also what setting should my NAD receiver be on?
    I've only gotten 5.1 sound with the DVD setting.
    Would SACD be on the CD setting or some other setting?

I've only had this 3910 since 2006 you think I would learn this at some point.:rolleyes:

thanks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

what is your sacd pkayer?

3. helter

4. ChrisWiggles

And the receiver and how you have it hooked up?

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I have the 2910, not the 3910, but I think they both work the same. I don't know the details about how your other equipment works, but for many people they need to connect the 5.1 analog outs on the disc player to the 5.1 analog inputs on their preamp or receiver. That's how I hooked up my 2910. I think the 3910 will play high-rez audio digitally only through the iLink or Denon Link outputs which would require you to have a receiver with a corresponding input. I don't think any disc player sends an SACD bitstream out over toslink or digital coax, though many later models will send it out via HDMI.

The multichannel analog outputs are clearly labeled on the back of the 2910 and, I assume, 3910. And yes, this means you need 6 separate connectors on each end, or three pairs of stereo audio cables.

McLover likes this.
  6. ChrisWiggles

Sorry, I missed the NAD part. Yeah with this old a player, you'd have to use analog multichannel, and be on that input.

SPDIF can't do high res multichannel.

7. helter

There is an area 5.1ch audio out
    SL C FL
    SR SW FR

Would this be the area for the analog cables?

Currently I use OPTICAL for all CD audio for the Denon 3910

I use HDMI for Cable TV and DVD playback

8. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

yep- thats it. You'll need an RCA for each channel and the sub

9. helter

I guess I need to buy some more cable. Thanks guys

10. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I have this player also and there is also a 2 channel analog hookup also.

11. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

quicksrt likes this.
  12. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

You should hear an upgrade in sound quality as well by using the analog outs on the Denon. Enjoy you SACD's. :)

Kyhl likes this.
  13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

You can use the stereo analog outputs on the '3910 to play stereo SACDs and CDs. Occasionally, I read a review of a component claiming that superior sound is achieved via the stereo analog outputs versus the 5.1 analog outputs. If you are planning to listen in stereo a lot, try the stereo analog outputs. Of course, you can save a good bit on cables this way, too, if stereo is your priority.

I have a Denon DVD-3910 in my second stereo system connected to an NAD C 350 integrated amp via the stereo analog outputs. It's a good player.

14. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I like my 3910, but sadly it has problems reading the SACD layers of Hybrid Discs. It plays non-hybrid SACDs fine. When I first bought it I had no idea what SACD and DVD Audio were. The 3910 introduced me to those 2 formats. I am still happy with the DVD Audio and CD playback sound on this player.

15. helter

So I was successful playing my first SACD's this past weekend

However, in order to have the subwoofer active I had to switch the jack on my Nad preamp to the 7.1ch input in the analog section. Which means the subwoofer will not be on when I play FIOS cable or DVD/CD audio in the digital sections.
    My Paradigm Seismic subwoofer only has one jack input.

How do I get the subwoofer to be active with all choices analog/digital without switching the subwoofer jack back and forth?

16. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Since this seems to be the thread where people have this same machine, allow me to direct you to http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/how-do-i-connect-my-dvd-player-to-my-receiver-part-2.441637/

Additional question : according to the manual (p 7) "To use with 5.1 ch output, set 2CH (SRS OFF) or 2CH (SRS ON) in AUDIO CHANNEL in AUDIO SETUP in SETUP at the initial settings."
    However my problem is that the AUDIO CHANNEL selection is not active. How do I activate that link ?? I've already reset the whole system but that didn't work.

17. Gary Hooper

Gary Hooper New Member

I have a Denon 2910 connected via optical to an NAD C368 stereo amplifier. When playing CDs, all is great. When playing a hybrid SACD/CD, there's no audio at all, regardless the SACD mode on the Denon. Should it work over optical, or do I need to use analogue?

18. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Am I ultimately getting the full high resolution capacity of SACD using the rca analog outputs from the Dennon 3910? I am using my Dennon receiver as a pre-amp. I have all analog (high quality) rca cables from the Dennon 3910 universal player to my receicer (using as pre-amp) then to my Rotel amp which is obviously connected to my speakers. I get confused reading about DSD getting converted to PCM and does this mean the high resolution gets degrated down to redbook? Non-tech savy guy needing help here.

McLover likes this.
  19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yes. The Denon 3910 was definitely a good machine from back in the days when there were fewer doubts about what was coming out of SACD players.

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes, you are getting the full resolution by using the RCA analog outputs, though I don't recall whether the Denon did pure DSD-->Analog conversion or whether it converted to PCM as an intermediate stage in order to allow processing. It's been so long since I used my 2910 (laser was giving up the ghost and I decided to get a player capable of blu-ray playback as well) that I don't recall much about its specifications.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I realize this post is five years old, but I have a "vintage" Denon DVD-756 and for years I've had to clean the laser lens every few months for it to track most hybrid discs (Elton, Dylan, etc).

22. Metralla

I think it did that by default but there was a menu option for "Direct DSD" which sounds better.

SOONERFAN may want to check his settings.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  23. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Stupid question here, but if the full high resolution is intact, what does it matter if the DSD gets converted to PCM? Either way, the signal is ultimately converted into an analog signal. Is this just a matter of less signal conversion the better from a sound quality standpoint or is high rez DSD superior to high rez PCM? Thanks for helping me understand this by the way.

24. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Side note question here. After reading some of the Dennon 3910 threads here, I connected the rca stereo outputs to the cd input on my reciever as this is supposed to provide better 2-channel stereo sound than just using the fronts of the multichannel hook up. I previously had the player's stereo outputs connected to the multizone connection for outside listening on my patio speakers. Strange enough, the music still plays no matter which connection I select on the reciever remote (phono, VDP, VCR, TV, etc.). Those inputs are not being used so how can this be? The only exception is when I select CDR/Tape or Tuner (music stops). This makes me wonder if I am really getting the signal fron the player's 2-channel outs vs the signal coming from the fronts of the multichannel hook-up. My receiver (using as a pre-amp) is a Dennon AVR-3802.

25. Metralla

Disconnect all others and test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.