Playing 45s On A Manual TT....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dominick, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the new Rega Planar 3 (which I love) but playing singles is very annoying. I do not mind the fact you have to lift the platter to change speeds, but, taking off the record while the platter is still spinning is just plain crap. Lifting lps off is okay, but not singles. They are spinning faster and they are harder to take off.

What do you people do? And can someone suggest a decent TT with auto-stop.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

I don't completely understand, if it's too hard, why not just turn it off first? I don't have a Rega, but I never turn it off to change records, though I do agree, it can be a little dicey with 45s. The power switch is on top on all my tables, so really not a big deal if I wanted to turn it off first ...

[​IMG]

3. Dominick

Because I do not want to tun the TT on and off 50 times in a row when I am in the mood to play 45s. Rega says it is better to leave it on.

4. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

OK, sorry, guess I didn't take it seriously enough, not sure auto-stop would be any different though, still turns it off. So maybe grow some longer fingernails to make it easier to lift them off the platter with it spinning :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Justathought, if you're doing a 45s playing session, you could first replace your mat with a 6.5 inch or 17 cm mat, which would make it easier to remove them. ?

Dominick likes this.
  6. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

A correct turntable has a deeper part at the rim of a 45 and 10 inch record.
    Recent turntable dont have that because manufacturers think 7 and 10 inch are non existing anymore.
    Just like 78 speed select is gone now.

7. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I just turn it off. Before I had the TT-PSU, I used the power switch on the turntable. With the TT-PSU, I use the power switch on the TT-PSU. I would not worry about wearing out the power switch. In the very unlikely event that you wear it out, Rega has replacements for every part. That is one of their many strong points. I cannot think of any decent turntable that is not fully manual.

8. Dominick

Yes, I have thought about this. Just with the fact it is spinning so fast I do not like it. Surely this causes some scratches to the record.

9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Justanotherfewthoughts:
    1) A DJ slip mat. You could easily stop its rotation to remove a 45, or place a 45, while the turntable keeps turning.

2) A foot switch. Instead of using the Rega power switch, plug the turntable into a foot switch cable and step on it to cut power and release to start it up again. Perfect for this kind of use on a Rega. But I can't find any readymade for this purpose. Here is a foot pedal switch on ebay.au that someone can wire as a cable for this kind of use (and this one was hard to find, this one can be wired so stepping on it cuts power and releasing it restores power, most are only the reverse or a simple off or on switch).
    250V 10A Momentary metal Power Foot Pedal Switch SH | eBay

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have it easy. My Technics SP 25 motor has push button 33.3/45 RPM, quick start, and a brake. Push speed selector for 45 RPM, place tonearm on lead in groove, push start button. When finished, lift tonearm off record, hit stop, you're done. No auto stop or return, and no cueing lever. At Casa de McLover, 45 RPM is spun like it's 1980 and he's on the airwaves.

11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Cut a piece of construction paper 12.5" around and place it on the platter. Lift the edges of the paper to remove the 45. Or, get a switchable outlet adapter and switch the TT on and off from there to preserve the switch on the table itself. I found a really cool one recently that has a 6 ft. extension cable running from the adapter to the switch. So I have the adapter in the wall, the receiver plugged into the adapter and the 6 ft. cable snaked around so that the switch is right next to the receiver several feet away.

12. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

I have a VPI Classic two which has a smooth metal platter (other than the label area) so 7 and 10 inch records are a pain to lift off the platter even when it's stopped. I've considered making or buying grooved mat to make it easier to deal with smaller vinyl sizes. As for changing speeds, can an outboard TT PSU be uses that allows for external speed changes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.