Need banana plug recommendation.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been using the side screw Monoprice banana connectors. They work okay for a while, but quickly lose their compression and get to be a loose fit.
    The banana plug must be a side screw type. I use Kimber 8tc, which is thick and stiff.
    Thanks

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

You should see if Kimber will take them back (for a fee I'm sure) and have them terminate them. They use the best connectors for their cable and do outstanding workmanship. I've had mine going on ten years and I have never had an issue with them.

Thouston likes this.
  4. triple

triple Senior Member

I was thinking of building a very thick grounding cable and I was going to buy these silver plated banana plugs:
    Wireworld upgrade silver locking banana plug - 4 pack | eBay

The price can be negotiated and if you need them to take extremely thick wire, you can always use two (or three) per side, as they plug into each other.

5. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I read an article long ago about high quality banana plugs, but never tried them (I moved to spade lugs instead). They are available on Amazon, and are from GLS Audio, distributed worldwide by Orange County Speaker, Inc. You can also search for "Yes, We Have No Bananas" from Thomas Norton's Blog (3/1/2011). Good luck!

oregonalex and Helom like this.
  6. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

My latest Transparent speaker cables came with Deltron-type banana plugs. They have an internal contact spring. The manufacturer convinced me that they were the ideal connectors so who am I to argue?

7. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Yep. I use the GLS locking bananas exclusively and love them too. Easy to install, secure wire attachment and positive lock without wearing out the speaker terminals.

Direct purchase from GLS Audio:
    GLS Audio Banana Plug Speaker Connectors - Locking Series Generation 4 - 8 Pack

Preston likes this.
  8. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

I've been fond of these double-bananas from Neutrik. Not expensive, take a large-gauge cable, and have a locking tab inside. Perfect fit for my 6-Moons White Lightning cables.
    [​IMG]

freedomgli and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I admire the super low mass designs.

10. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable
    I've used both of the locking and non-locking bananas found on this page and while neither makes a solid connection like you would by getting the bananas welded on at the wire manufacturer, they work as advertised.

11. johnvb

johnvb Well-Known Member

12. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. johnvb

johnvb Well-Known Member

Yes I will agree on that and to pretty much all of the audiophile boutique cable companies. But I can survive $4.50 bucks each for bananas. :) I use Mogami 3103 for my speaker cabling, nothing fancy.

SandAndGlass and Thouston like this.
  14. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Another vote for the AQ BFAs. Best I've ever used.

Cheers,
    Larry B.

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

17. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I recently bought a set of BJC locking bananas and was very impressed and the price was right. Thick wire can fit in - at least mine did.

I thought the BJC bananas were better than the GLS connectors which I received yesterday - the BJC bananas spread far easier to get a better lock

18. Mike from NYC

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. oregonalex

I have them too. They are very nice. Unfortunately, I cannot get my thick speaker cable through the sleeve hole, so I am forced to use GLS. They are not far behind the BJCs, though.

20. Mike from NYC

Did you take out the insert for smaller wires?

21. oregonalex

I didn't realize they had them. I bought mine with their speaker cables, long ago, and those have no inserts. Good to know, thanks.

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

I just purchased a set of these from Dyson Audio:

[​IMG]

23. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

24. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

I've had great results with Nakamichi plugs as well.
    [​IMG]

RONENRAY and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I had some speaker cables with spades and when I bought some new speakers that only accepted bananas or bare wire, I used the Monoprice bananas. I immediately noticed that the midrange in my system became congested and recessed. I thought I was crazy, no way they could make that much of a difference. I bought the Audioquest spade to banana adapters and all was right again. Am I crazy, possibly, but I won't use the Monoprice bananas anymore.

Thouston likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.