Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" digital recording to MFSL 45 RPM One-Step vinyl?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kyndcookie, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Don’t forget to resleeve these or those Mofi sleeves will cause hairlines :righton:

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I thought long and hard about this. In the end (with previous Mofi box sets), I just made a slit at the side of the shrink and carefully slid it out and then put it back on when I’ve finished.

A slight hassle, but looks like I don’t have any other choice...

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Absolutely not. This is exactly the kind of "damage" that members here on this forum would complain about. "Hey this is not NM, there's a single indentation near the spindle hole." It's happened before.

Tullman likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I find your description of the sound heard at the end of "Maxine" on this new pressing, curious. What, exactly, are you hearing that is unique on this pressing? (NOTE: The ending of "Maxine" is one of my favorite parts of this album, which I have always dubbed, "The greatest album that Steely Dan never made"!)

5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

It’s a pressing anomaly on his record, doesn’t mean they all have it. Just the record not left long enough to cool down I believe...

Chris C likes this.
  6. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

You're returning it for that? That's ridiculous.

7. schwarcw

schwarcw Forum Resident

I hear several light, short static like sounds the same point in the lp revolution. It's not a "click or a pop" just slightly longer. You could call it a pressing anomaly. Note that I haven't cleaned it yet. I will put the records in the ultrasonic cleaner later today.

Chris C likes this.
  8. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

This is the first time I've ever heard thise. Why is this?? I would think the Mofi sleeves would be the ones to put your records in.

Ed Hughes, Phishman and AnalogJ like this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well if they're ever thinking of reselling it, then it is less than NM, therefore it affects the resale value. Many here anticipate the possibility.

And, by the way, a line in the label would not kill it for me as long as the rest of the record, itself, is pretty much perfect. If I did return it, there'd be a chance that the replacement could have an actual defect in the vinyl. I feel lucky if an LP plays perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Odd that numbers...all share the same stampers. Number and stamper correlation seems random.
    & 1385

11. AnalogJ

Yes. Why that's so strange. Please discuss....

:wtf:

12. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Thought there would be more uniformity with the sequence. It was a point out, not a criticism.

13. AnalogJ

No, sorry, it was a joke. This has been discussed ad nauseum in every forum where the topic is a numbered, limited edition. There IS no correlation between when the LP was pressed and the box number. They're handled separately. And then after pointing it out, we joke that the same issue will come up again very soon (Because many don't read through back posts, therefore their new discovery prompts a new post). No worries.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Mine is due on Tuesday. Probably won't get around to it until Friday.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If all that is wrong with the record is a small split near the spindle hole, and the record has never been played, I would consider it NM.

16. I think he/she was kidding.

AnotherEargazm likes this.
  17. And I KNOW he is!

18. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

I played all four sides. This baby ain’t going nowhere.

Nostaljack and FLEMKE like this.
  19. Basically, some of the keyboard notes in the middle of the full intro sound a little flubbed and were edited out of the original LP.

20. So this lessens your enjoyment of the record from a visual perspective, but not an auditory one?

21. AnalogJ

I'm just hoping the warmer than usual Fall and longer route time doesn't result in warping. I just checked the tracking of the package, and it went from Illinois to Wisconsin, where it now currently sits. I think SmartPost is FedEx's least expensive shipping option.

22. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

I was just looking at my Nightfly collection. It's silly. I have 2 new Ultra,1 sealed old Mofi,1 played mofi, several japan pressings, several domestic, DVD-A, and a sealed japan cd.
    Tim

23. AnalogJ

You can almost open your own dealership. :)

MikeJedi likes this.
  24. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Sometimes I get a little stupid!

25. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

So it's safe to say that you like this album, then?

bluejimbop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.