Rega Brio (2017 spec)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

Took one on trial yesterday..very impressed! Not surprisingly a good match with a Rega RP6.....having read the "debate" re bass/treble/loudness functions,I thought I may be troubled by the complete lack of these on the Brio(My arcams have a "direct function that was my prefered for listening to vinyl) but I did "tweak" when listening to cd or radio. Was I troubled? Not a bit! Great sounding affordable amp with a more than adequate mm phono stage on board. Any comments from other users with more "time" spent with the Brio?

2. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

I can't comment on the Brio 2017, but I can comment on your happy acceptance of no tone controls. I really thought I'd miss them by swapping-in a Brio R after my primary integrated decided to go all mono on me. My revelation was that listening to an amplifier without tone controls is not-at-all like listening to an amplifier with the tone-controls set to flat or bypass (at least with the amps I have owned or listened to). Tone control amplifiers set to flat invariably sound flat and lifeless, particularly if one is used to a little smiley-faced curve through the use of said controls over a lifetime of listening. The Brio did not disappoint at all. It has full-spectrum detail within it's power limitations, nice and clear, and such a lovely mid range. So, no more tone controls for me. No more futzing. I'm getting too old to futz. I'm sure the 2017 improves nicely on the widely admired tone of the Brio R, adding a bit of bottom end kick that the R is missing. OK, I just commented on the Brio 2017, so forget my first sentence. I am such a fraud.

I also really enjoy the interface of the Rega line. I don't have to stoop to read labels nor push a bunch of buttons to make adjustments. From across the room you can instantly see if the input is set to one's turntable, CD player, TV etc. as you quickly get used to the relative location of the input light indicators as they are set in a circular pattern with a reference point. If you forget, just cycle through the inputs by repeat pushing on one button on the remote (which would greatly benefit by being back-lit) until the sound comes on. Easy peasy, spousal-approved. What? No balance control?!! But I neeeeed my, uh, er, well ok I never touched a balance knob in my life other than to set it back to the middle after bumping into it. Don't need it, don't miss it, don't ever want one ever again - get it out of the signal path. Elegant simplicity. Whoever designed this thing should be knighted.

If your trial made you smile, I know why.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  3. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

I've owned one since it came out. It plays everyday for me and I enjoy it by a small margin over the Elex-R, which I also own. It is very sweet sounding, gutsy for 50wpc, with a better onboard phono stage than it has the right to.
    See my multiple other posts in the older threads on here.

frimleygreener likes this.
  4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

For those who love their Brios, curious what sort of speakers you are using?

5. frimleygreener

I use a pair of Dali Zensor 5 floor standers....ideal for the average UK "shared" living spaces....p.s I recently purchased the Rega fono mm: Diificult to ascertain performance judged against the onboard phono stage that comes with the latest spec Brio amp,but certainly both easily outperform the Graham Slee amp2 SE that was my standard "budget" phono stage...

6. james

james Summon The Queen

thinking about one of these for my Snell's

bhazen likes this.
  7. AmericanHIFI

It should be a good match sonically.
    I still have a pair of Type B's.

james likes this.
  8. AmericanHIFI

Everything you said. I still love mine and it plays everyday in my office.
    The phono stage quality is second to none for the amp's price range. I'm using a P3-2016/ Elys 2 and occasionally an Ortofon Blue.

9. s13coupe

s13coupe Well-Known Member

Tried one out for about two weeks. Plugged my old Brio back in and although it was less gutsy, I don't feel it justified spending another 1k for the improvement in sound. I honestly think the main difference is in the phono stage. I'm going to try out a Graham Slee Era V with my old Brio and see how it goes.

10. AmericanHIFI

It appears that a bunch of people feel the same. I thought the amp sounded cleaner than the -R, and the phono stage was DEFINITELY better (so I agree).

11. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

Using one with Monitor Audio Silver 6es. Lovely balance and detail combined.

12. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’m thinking of investing in a Brio integrated amp. Am I correct in thinking I don’t need a Rega Fono MM with it?
    Any benefits to having both?

13. frimleygreener

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the on board phono stage in the latest spec Brio.

dbsea, Hershiser and Markyp like this.
  14. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I agree. I’m currently using the brio’s built in phono with a P3 with an Exact and am very happy with the results.

15. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Correct.
    Not likely.

Markyp likes this.
  16. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Many thanks for the advice!

17. djhurley92

djhurley92 Forum Resident

Hey all,

Is there any mono summing feature on the Brio? Can’t see any reference in the manual or elsewhere online so I guess not. Also as there’s no tape loop I don’t think it’s possible to add in mono summing cables anywhere. Anyone found a solution to this?

Regards

18. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

There is no mono button, but there is a single “record output” connection on the 2017 Brio. To listen in mono, I use the double y cable method that is popular here.

19. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I briefly considered it because I liked the size format but the lack of digital input was a show stopper for me.

20. djhurley92

djhurley92 Forum Resident

Interesting, how does that work exactly with this amp? Where do you put the double y cable between, and what do you set the amp to to make it work? My current amp has a tape loop with a monitor setting, but I didn’t think the Brio had a monitor feature.

Thanks

21. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I just put it between the turntable rcas and the phono input. When I’ve used an external phono preamp, I’ve used them between the phono out and a line in on the amp.

Looking back on my original post, I apologize for not making it clear that I am not using the tape out in my mono configuration.

22. frimleygreener

I use the digital input on my Marantz CD6006 in conjunction with the Brio....sounds fine to these old ears.

23. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

have bought one recently and love it...warm, gutsy and def a great phono stage...run mine with a rega planar

24. Quidjay

Quidjay Well-Known Member

real dumb question, but is there a solution (i.e., harmony remote or something similar?) to being able to toggle the receiver off and on using a remote? It seems kinda silly to have volume and input control on the stock remote, but no way to toggle the power.

25. Tiernoise

Tiernoise Forum Resident

Like every Rega amp, the Brio is designed to be left on all the time, so there is no standby function. You can leave it switched off and switch it on whenever you want to listen, but it will sound better after a little while when warmed up.

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.