Tim or Neil Finn?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

i used to get into an argument with a buddy of mine about which was the better songwriter, singer, etc. I always went for Neil as the better songwriter but a tie as to vocalist. Tim is certainly the better frontman though IMHO.

Also thought it would be interesting to find out which is the more popular band here.

2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Since multiple votes are allowed, I voted for everything except "Who?"

:)

I think they're both excellent... together, they raise each other's game...

3. Gorgon

Gorgon Forum Resident

i didn't take part in the poll because the voting options weren't quite right. Both have done great works although Neil was more consistent. However nothing Neil ever did was as good as Mental Notes.......

Gavinyl, Dingo and bleachershane like this.
  4. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I have to go with Neil Finn as my favorite songwriter of the two. I'm not convinced that he's "better," but I like more of his songs than Tim's songs...

As for frontman, I have no preference. I like them both. I'm definitely a Crowded House guy, though.

5. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Pass. I haven't thought about either Neil nor Tim that much lately to have an opinion.
    I like Split Enz a lot. I like Crowded House a bit.
    Obviously both talented singer-songwriters.
    Tim is all a bit self important but I liked Escapade and his s/t tilted album way back when.
    I loved Crowded House's debut album a lot, after that not so much.

Al Smith likes this.
  6. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Neil certainly hit the mainstream with his style of songwriting (even in Split Enz), but Tim had an interesting approach, he's far too underrated verging on unknown. Interesting and compelling performer too, watching early Split Enz is quite unlike anything else.

I can't really choose between the two but I voted a preference for Split Enz, only because I recently discovered them and 'Time and Tide' has become a favourite, 'Mental Notes' is also a wacky album.

"Dirty Creature" and "Six Months In A Leaky Boat" are my favourite Tim songs... From a point where he'd be competing with his own brother's great, catchy output, in what was Tim's band.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Aphoristical likes this.
  7. BunnyBoy

BunnyBoy Well-Known Member

Great thread! Huge fan of them here in Tokyo.
    I didn’t vote because...how can I compare these two? They’re both magnificent. Or should I tick all the boxes?
    I think Crowded House has a very consistent discography. All of their albums have certain quality. But in my opinion, nothing can beat Split Enz’s best songs penned by Tim. Neil Finn’s solo stuff is all great, especially the latest, Out of Silence. But Tim’s got Imaginary Kingdom. Like...who can top that album? It’s an absolute masterpiece.
    So in conclusion, I gave up voting:) All I say is I’m so happy to have them both on this planet.

Ken.e., Dingo and bleachershane like this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Not that I don’t like Tim, but Neil Finn is on a whole different level. He’s one of the upper tier IMO.

Aphoristical and klaatuhf like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I say Huck. This is a thread title that begs for clarity. Who the he’ll are these guys? Make a better, longer thread title next time, please.

10. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Neil's latest offering might just be the best thing he's done. It's incredible. Can't believe it's gone completely under the radar. Anyway, Neil in all categories for me.

11. Don't like to compare. Both those guys are outstanding. Neil Finn's new record is my album of the year.

dthomas850 likes this.
  12. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I trust you aren't being serious

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'll take Craig Finn (The Hold Steady) over both.

14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I prefer Split Enz by a country mile, but concede that Neil probably has a better voice.

My understanding is that hardcore Phil Judd-era Enz fans do not like Neil Finn-era Enz and vice versa.

Oh man, now I'm conflicted. I hadn't considered that.

15. Aphoristical

Aphoristical Aphoristic Album Reviews

I think Neil's the biggest talent - he's a much better songwriter IMO - but I do like Tim's voice better. I like it when Tim croons through 'All I Ask' on Woodface.

Split Enz's catalogue has always seemed a little scattershot to me, partly as they crossed different eras and had a revolving cast of band members, but there are some very good albums - the early stuff with Phil Judd, like on Mental Notes, is some of their best work. Time and Tide is my favourite of their later, pop-oriented albums, partly because it has a very strong set of songs from Tim.

I do think Neil Finn grew as a songwriter once he had his own band with Crowded House - he was a very effective pop writer in the Enz, but I don't see any of his Enz hits matching 'Don't Dream It's Over' from the first Crowded House album, which reached #2 in the USA. Together Alone from 1993 is my favourite album from the Finn camp - it's heavier than their previous work with Mitchell Froom, and the recording location on a remote New Zealand beach gives it atmosphere.

I really liked the first Finn album in 1995, and the two first Neil Finn albums had their moments, but I felt like Neil went into a bit of a holding pattern in the 2000s with another Finn brother album and the reformed Crowded House were a bit sleepy without Paul Hester. But he's been trying different stuff for the last few years - I like how he's putting himself into new contexts to challenge himself. I'm listening to his newest album, Out of the Silence, right now, and I really like it - it was recorded live in studio, and it's very pretty with Finn mostly playing piano. The more electronic Dizzy Heights from 2014 is also pretty cool.

16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Of course, neither of them are true Finns, but since they both are very good, I won't turn them in for their wrongful impersonations.

17. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Neil and it isn't even close.

Michaelpeth likes this.
  18. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

Id have to say Neil too. I kind of overdosed on the Finn brothers for a while I need to play them again. I did like Tim's self titled album. Time on Earth and Together Alone great albums too.

19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Much as I really like much of Tim's work, both in the Enz and solo, I rate Neil as, perhaps, the greatest songwriter of all time. Which makes it tough on Tim...

realkilroy, primejive and Michaelpeth like this.
  20. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I liked Imaginary Kingdom and Time and Tide. Never got into Crowded House.

21. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I like both a lot. Split Enz were great, Crowded House too.

A reminder for me to buy 'Finn' from 1995 on cd. It was recommended to me, its on my "to get" list but haven't yet purchased. Will have a look online today. I do already own 'Everyone is Here.' I need to play more of their music. Also slowly but surely buying the Crowded House deluxe editions - to date I have Woodface, Afterglow and Temple of Low Men. Woodface is superb. Also fancy getting the new Neil album after watching the recording sessions on Facebook at breakfast time for those weeks he was doing that. Will add to my Christmas list.

D.B. likes this.
  22. Blackbear

Blackbear Forum Resident

The original Mental Notes was an outstanding album. Neil came after that and gave Split Enz a more melodic direction. When the two brothers make great music together why compare them?

Gorgon and BunnyBoy like this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Tim's a weird guy. He's got a bit of the Mike Loves about him. He's got a great voice but it's better when it's pitted against another great voice (either Phil or Neil). On the recent Crowded House concert at the opera house the whole thing reached another level when Tim entered the picture. Time + Tide is one of the craziest concepts of all time. (Tim writes the hits and Neil does all the left of centre stuff) that it's their best album (apart from Mental Notes) shows how great the both of them are.

blutiga likes this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

This is how I first heard Split Enz.

bleachershane and PretzelLogic like this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Can't get past Tim's bad voice. Someone I know is a real fan of his songwriting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.